Reba, the only point of this control is for the test that I have to attend. Like I said, I know he will learn when we start hunting real birds, I saw him start as a pup but last year was hard to find quail, which is where he started to learn & on pheasants that would sit.

It is just the bird field of planted birds that he has the problem on. He can smell (good nose) long way, just like your GSP but he has just to much desire to get into the planted birds. Thus the barking & lunging when he gets close & you have him on a check cord & also the fact the pigeons I have are fat pen raised & won't fly. I have been trying to find some wild captured good flyers to do what DonFisher is saying. All the guys who used to trap them quit.

I really am not excited about breaking some spirit or what ever, just for this test either. May just have to go & take my chances. I know at this point he find,will stop but most likely crowd & flush the planted bird. It is my fault for not getting this trained prior to now, I accept that, same old excuses, too much work & other things that have been training, which he is doing very well.

I know bumping with collar will stop the chase, have already done that with jack rabbits when he is sight chasing. But can't tap him as he is scenting rabbits (for now) as he has to do a 300 yard rabbit drag/retrieve which he does no problem now. He also does a pheasant or duck drag the same. He has to show efficency in fur & feather on the drags. Which he does.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin