When I was doing field work as a plant ecologist, I wore out several pairs of different Danner hiking/hunting boots. In 2000 bought a pair of uninsulated Elk Hunters from Cabelas. Wore these for three summers working in western Wyoming. They are great boots, the bob sole really grips in almost all conditions (never wore them in wet mud).

BrentD, I have a pair of Meindl Perfekt Hikers that are excellent boots. Sometimes I wear them instead of the Danners, and they also seem to grip very well. But I haven't had them as long or tried them in as many places as I have the Elk Hunters.

I know from experience that the Elk Hunters with the bob soles grip better on "pucker-up" slopes than the standard Vibram lug soles I wore for years. Normally I wanted a sharp, well defined heel to help while descending steep rocky slopes, but the Danner bob sole is the best I've experienced.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson