Yes, it is really to bad. I've always been a Remington guy. That goes way back to 1966 when I bought my first Remington. It was a M700, .222 mag. with a Herters scope. Bought it for $140 from an Amishman with my lawn mowing money. I still have that gun, and of all the guns in my safe, that would be the very last one I'd ever sell. Lot of memories behind that gun. I bought my first Remington shotgun (870, 12 ga. pump) in 1971 when I got out of the service. Sadly, they just don't make them like they use to. I have 11 870's and 4 1100's and those older guns are made far better than the newer ones. That old 870 action is as smooth as butter, but the newer ones act like they have sand in the action. It seems folks today just want to make as many as they can, as fast as they can, just to make the dollar. It is obvious that there was very little, if any, quality control here. It is apparent that they don't assemble or test fire their guns before they leave the factory. They'll probably say that there is to much time and expense in all of that. Well, THERE SHOULD BE! This lack of workmanship and quality control will come around and bite you in the behind.
And, yes, you're right! One shouldn't have to use much effort to put a barrel on an 1100 or 870. Sure you have to careful and make sure the barrel is lined up with the receiver, as to make sure it isn't binding or twisting, but putting on an 1100 or 870 barrel isn't exactly brain surgery.
I also know that these guns are mechanical items, and like anything, things can go wrong. Be it a car, bicycle, gun, dishwasher, lawnmower, or whatever. Things happen.
But after this bad experience with getting not one, but two m1100's that were defective, it doesn't make me eager to run right out and buy another Remington. And that's sad and hard for me to say, cuz I've always been a huge fan of Remington firearms. I've had to send other firearms back to the factory for work, but only once before, have I ever had to send anything back to Remington. A few years ago, I noticed a crack on the pistol grip of a fairly new 20 ga. 870. After contacting Remington, I was advised to send the stock in. Within 10 days I received a brand new stock in the mail with a beautiful, screamin piece of wood. No charge. And that's the way it should be. That is the only time, (until now) that I've ever had to send anything back to Remington. It wasn't anything major, and they took care of it. As stated, in the past, I have had to send guns from Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Thompson Center, and Beretta back for repairs and shotty work. In all cases, things were taken care of and then returned to me. Like I said, things happen, as they are mechanical devices.
There are so many other gun companys out there, and they offer tons of options of different makes and models. Today, if someone isn't satisfied with the quality of a particular firearm, they'll just go buy one from someone else. With all the competition out there with all the various firearms companys, you'd think gun companys would strive to make their guns the best that they can be, so consumers don't abandon them and jump over to some other gun company.
In the end here, I feel confident that the problem with my 1100 will be taken care of by Remington, and I'll eventually have a proper functioning m1100 (I hope) that I'll be happy and satisfied with. That said, if the gun would of been made right the first time, and checked before it left the factory, I wouldn't of had to go through all of this frustration. For anyone who does shotty work, cuts corners, and is more concerned with quanity than quality, just remember, "what goes around, comes around". Every gun company should be very much aware of that.

Last edited by hunter01; 02/10/12.