Malm - I appreciate your sharing your expertise and intent to give good advice with this - but you may be working with some misconceptions. I had/have no intent to get involved in anything legal or contact an attorney. This rifle belongs to a good friend who is an excellent hunter but not highly savvy with things mechanical - including rifles. My aim is to get it fixed properly, and soon.

In case you missed an earlier post, careful examination shows the trigger/sear/bolt areas to be spotless clean - and no alteration/adjustment from factory new. I have sucessfully adjusted many, many triggers but do not wish to fool with this one due to a well-known original malfunction of some of these from the factory. My preference is to help by having the manufacturer take responsibility

The info folks posted here will enable the owner to contact Remington, have them deal with their acknowledged mistakes and arrange for it to be fixed - by a competent gunsmith - who can correct the problem with the factory trigger - a problem created by ignorance and neglect by people - people at Remington.

Thanks again for your willingness to assist.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron