Malm - thanks for the link. I had already watched that video on the Campfire site, but I went and watched it again this evening after seeing your post. It is a very well constructed propaganda piece by Remington - part of their array of sales pieces - and in many ways it is impressive - probably convincing to many. But, it is their big $$$ effort to quiet little folks who never will produce a flashy video with many "experts" talking about their product. Little people who, in some cases, have experienced real and actual malfunctions with a certain series of the 700 safety/trigger mechanisms. Remington never denied that fact.

At their current website they artfully dodge actually saying that they admit to a failure, but they do explain the type of lock setup where the malfunctions have ocurred (in a certain time period) and they give instructions for having them deal with those problems. Send in your rifle.

To your suggestion, I did some more of my own investigation and talked with a close relative who worked for the parent company and who, for many years, directly handled their Remington accounts with many distributors. Through this, I have some hard data about what Remington knew and did. Past tense.

I have zero gripe with Remington - I own/use several of their M700 rifles quite a bit - never a problem for me, even with a safety/trigger mechanism. Further, I have now witnessed the faulty discharge first hand and have done a careful inspection of the involved safety/sear/trigger setup. That finding was reported here earlier.

So, it's not just a matter of ignorant mob mentality, urban legend, or "where there is smoke, there must be fire". How many other single rifle models have suffered this specific trigger history to the point where the manufacturer - many years later - is taking them back and fixing them? That's all I was looking for - a way for my pal to get them to fix the problem with his rifle. Seems that maybe I have succeeded, thanks to some help from guys on this site.

Although I appreciate your interest and efforts to assist, it is difficult to understand why you are so certain that this specific problem with this one rifle (that you have never seen) must be a dirty or corrupted or mis-adjusted trigger setup that would be better fixed by some unspecified gunsmith rather than one employed by Remington. Haven't figured that one out - yet.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron