BW:
<br>
<br>I'll let you in on what I'm processing (or failing to) now:
<br>
<br>1] I like Dr. Howell's .340 Howell Express, but I have an action with a .532 boltface, which means a new action. The .404 Jeffrey's I can modify the boltface to accept. Now, if I could horse trade for a new action, maybe ...
<br>
<br>2] Why not the Dakota? I hear their brass can be spotty. And it's expensive. But it's not a bad one as rimless medium-bores go, eh? $1.40 per case, though. Geez!
<br>
<br>3] Why hasn't anyone designed a rimless case with a .532 base diameter? What a concept! Can you imagine the wildcats it would spew. Where is there such an animal?
<br>
<br>4] A custom cartridge ... the .338 BinMag, has a certain, okay, a certain STRONG appeal. I keep thinking that if I'm going to have an exotic cartridge with difficult-to-find brass, requiring fire-forming, etc., etc., I may as well go all the way, or else stick with the .338 WinMag.
<br>
<br>5] How much more performance are we going to get out of the medium bore based on a .404 than we will out of the .338 WinMag? I see the .338 as having 2700 fps with a 250-grainer, and a .340 Weatherby getting maaaaybe 200 fps more. Is this all worth it for an extra 100 fps over the .338 WinMag, which is where our project is likely to end up? I keep thinking only if it's a BinMag. Then it would be worth it.
<br>
<br>I dunno. Still chewing on it.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine