Two or three years ago, over on another board that we've all learned not to take seriously enough to even go there any more, a self-styled joker (with all the apparent seriousness of a barnful of owls) posted that someone had told him that a caseful of Bullseye was a very good load with a 180-grain bullet in the '06 -- that he'd loaded a bunch, would shoot 'em Saturday, and would let us all know how good that load was.
<br>
<br>Day after day for about a week, that thread grew by the foot, with many of us warning "Don't do it" and saying WHY "don't do it." After several days, the joker who'd originated that thread came back on, chiding us for being a bunch of fretful old maids too prone to run around hollering that the sky was falling.
<br>
<br>That was bad enough. Worse, several others chimed-in echoing the same bull-hockey that we should've seen right off that it had to be a joke.
<br>
<br>What was worst, we didn't see -- and could only hope hadn't occurred, despite all probability that it had --
<br>
<br>-- that some newbie took it as gospel and loaded some and fired one of those bombs.
<br>
<br>The fellow who started that thread was no kid. He'd been posting a lot of good, useful answers to questions in other threads on that board --
<br>
<br>-- which made his "joke" all the more deadly.
<br>
<br>Words have meanings. Sentences have meanings. Many have consequences. Sometimes, the intended ancillary meanings aren't clear enough to defang the deadliness of the literal meanings.
<br>
<br>I did not pirate or plagiarize anybody's cartridge design. NEVER have. So I resent equally both the serious accusation and the apparently serious irresponsible implication that I have. It's as bad, IMO, as straight-facedly telling a newbie to cork a .30-06 case full of Bullseye with a 180-grain bullet for a good elk load. There'll be meat on the table somewhere, all right -- and on the walls, and on the ceiling --

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.