is about 86. My siblings, my wife, and I just moved him and my mother into a local nursing home. She is cogent but cannot walk without a walker; he, while physically intact for the eigthies, is losing his short term memory. He's been a retired college professor since his sixties and a Democrat of the "old party". As a political science, history, and econ prof, I believe he'd be very sad if he could realize what has happened to "his" party and it's present condition.

There is a lot I didn't know but found some interesting stuff. He was in the Philippines at age eighteen, drafted about mid-war. He was involved in rounding up Japenese infantry and interring them in a prisoner of war camp in the Philippines. I knew about the 6.5 Carcano Japenese carbine he lugged home but somewhere during my education and moving about he sold it. But here is some stuff he never mentioned and I never knew he had: a Japenese infantry satchel along with pictures, presumably of a prisoner and his friends or family (there is, no doubt, another story); the Rising Sun flag, dog tags, numerous insignia, as well as Jap or Philippino currency.

I did know about the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. One time he told me that at the shot that took the heel of his boot off and drilled his heel, the enemy was so close he could hear him work the bolt presumably for a second try. I asked his how the guy could have missed him at that range. He mused that if that guy was half as scared as he was, he was probably only vaguely aware of where he was pointing the rifle.

There is an interesting picture of the dates he recorded of his malaria attacks.

It was sad that he related that many Japenese prisoners committed suicide after capture because of "dishonoring themselves and their families."

Dad had two brothers who also served, one in the south Pacific on the USS Marblehead that was bombed in the Battle of Makassar-- two direct hits, and a very near miss -- suffering twelve or thirteen dear and 84 wounded. With no comm, weapons, or even rudder, they navigated by alternating engine thrust to turn this way or that and bailed water with cans and buckets. It took three months in that manner to make a port where they could make major repairs. He was a man forever scarred by his experiences.

The other uncle, one of my favorites, was a very intelligent, kind man. He served in North Africa as a medic and spent two years as a prisoner in a German camp. As a high schooler, I, my dad, this uncle, and my cousins would pheasant hunt a couple times a year. I remember he was a great wing shot and very quick. He shot an older Savage 16 ga. SxS. His son still has it. I know this cause I took mental notes of things of such import; pity I didn't with others.

Thanks for letting me reminisce a bit. No offense meant to any Japenese friends here or lurking around. My father often said, "there is nothing worse than the grit of war for all thrust into it.'

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/25/12.