Wish my dad was still hear, but in a sense I'm glad he passed before all the political and social crap going on in the country. He would have been 85 and he passed 5 years ago. Served on a carrier in the tail end of the Pacific campaign. He had one brother who was killed on Iwo. His father served in the Army in WWI, was gassed by the Germans and survived. His lungs were weakened by the gas and he died when my dad was 4.

He was sharp as a tack when I visited him a few weeks before he passed away. Mom has altheimers and now terminal cancer.

They definately were a great generation, and just as admirable as their accomplishments is their humility. They had a job to do and they did it. We could use their type again. Seems most folks these days want to say why something can't be done vs. rolling up their sleaves and getting to it.

Treasure him while you still have him, and find out as much about his life as you can. My regret is not spending more time finding out about his family history while I still had him. I learned more his family in the last week I spent with him than in all the years growing up as a kid.