My dad is 89 and in a hospital bed as I type. A total of 5 weeks so far this year but is supposed to come home tomorrow. My wife and sister in law got dad to write down some of his numerous stories of growing up on a farm during the 1920's and 30's as well as his war experiences.

Drafted in December 1942 after graduation he served most of his time in the states, but went to Europe as a replacement during the Battle of the Bulge and stayed until the Spring of 1946. It was nearly a year after the war ended before he came home.

My wife compiled his stories and numerous family photos into a book which we had enough copies printed for all the kids and grandkids to own. I'm not tryng to sell it, we wouldn't make anything anyway, but the 1st 15 of about 150 pages plus the front and back covers can be viewed here. It is amazing what can be done today.

http://www.blurb.com/books/1731636

I'm glad we were able to put this together for my dad while he is still with us. He shows his copy to everyone. If you still have family living from that era get them to put as much down as they can and put together something like this.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.