Originally Posted by CRounds
Originally Posted by ingwe
George..if its about Americans that were Japanese POWs..I'll probably pass...
Read one called " Prisoners of the Japanese" by Gavin Dawes..true stories, my uncle was even mentioned.
Until I read that book I didnt know the printed word could bring a grown man to tears....

It is about Americans imprisoned by the Japanese. But it's so much more than that - Paul Harvey would say "it's the rest of the story". I couldn't put it down.

Another good read is "Hell's Guests" by Glenn D. Frazier. We knew him as Dowling Frazier and he was from my home town of Fort Deposit, AL. The book is about the Bataan death march.

I was shocked to learn that the march only lasted six days. I knew of a couple of men from Greenville who were also on the march.

Dowling wrote of his hatred of the Japanese but also wrote of his ability to forgive after he became a Christian. It's a powerful book.
He threw his dog tags into a mass grave (I can't remember the exact reason he gave) but his father never believed that he was dead. When he got back to the states he called home and three of the females in his household fainted, one by one, when they heard his voice. Then his father got on the phone and told Dowling that he knew, somehow, that he was not dead, but he had three women laid out in the kitchen that looked like they were.