Originally Posted by jimbo202
Someday after a long parade of time and money commitments, I would like to get a machine and dies and reload my own ammunition. Meanwhile, I'm shooting factory ammo. Yes $$$ I know. So I need your help.

What is the best factory ammo for 6.5x55? I could use two recommendations.

1. Highest quality/accuracy/reliability. Cost no object.

2. Best value -- the most accurate and reliable considering cost.

Even at the Big Reno gun show, the pickings were slim for 6.5x55. All they had was PRVI. I couldn't even find Sellier & Bellot.

Any recommendation is deeply appreciated. I know all y'all make your own so there may not be a deep body of experience here with factory ammo, but I figure somebody has to have used it from time to time.

Thanks. I didn't see this answered in a "search".

Answer #1: I will second the thoughts on the RWS. Can't find it now. Picked up a few boxes from Midway on sale last year. Excellent accuracy. Not tried on game yet but some of the European members on this forum say it works just fine.

Answer #2: PRVI. Have you tried it yet in your rifle? Very affordable and it was nearly as accurate as the RWS. Usually available either at gunshows or online.

I will also second the thoughts about Lee reloading presses to "start out". I don't do enormous ammounts of reloading so it has served my purposes for 15 years or so now. I even like and use the hand press, which might work for you based on the amount you plan to shoot on a monthly basis. I have some RCBS dies also and "I" can't tell the difference when I'm loading.

Good luck with it all.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?