I started bowhunting in my early teens to get the extra 6 weeks at the start of the season. Now I mostly bowhunt, especially if I'm tagged out buck wise and need to shoot does. There's not much to shooting does with a rifle and I really burned out on it trying to tag out all my management plan tags a few years in a row and having had a collection permit at one time.

Most places I hunt you can't see past 40 yards anyway. Favorite technique of mine is to get into the really thick stuff that you really can't even walk thru with kevlar chaps on and cut a tunnel in it with loping shears about 30 yards long paralell to an edge you know deer are using and sit at one end and wait for the deer to cross thru it. Often times I have found thru direct observation and camera use that deer will stack up in that lane no wider than a deer a good half an hour before going out to feed in a more open area before dark. It has been deadly effective about 10 yards inside of clearcuts that are getting head high adjacent to white oak flats when the acorns start dropping. Guy taught it to me about 25 years ago but I never really used it much until about 10 years ago.

Last edited by NathanL; 10/05/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.