And I'll differ from JJ, it too MANY more years to become proficient at long range rifle( read that to be at least 500 or 600 yards and beyond) than it did with a bow. First year I had a current compound bow, 1981, I killed a deer on the first hunt, and it didnt' change after that. And my biggest archery bucks to date have been gimmes. Of course I set up to make it that way too, IE IF I got a shot, it would be a slam dunk one and thast the way its supposed to be to me. Last shot on last Sunday was 8 yards. I won't shoot archery past 20 either. At least with TX deer I wont'. Archery wise, drawing the bow was the hardest part without detection, after reaching full draw the rest was a given almost 100% of the time.

Yet it took probably close to 10 years of shooting rifle matches to were I even got to the mental confidence AND real capability to make a 600 yard shot on something like a clay target every last time, or at least know not to try.

Some argue the fact and I"m sure it works different ways for differnet folks, but because I'm from TX don't assume all my archery experience is in a stand with a feeder. Some of my closest kills with a recurve have been stalks on the ground, one a doe at under 5 yards, and one feral hog at 3 steps. I even had to stop to think to make sure the arrow would clear the string on that one for a second.... neitehr around corn or a feeder either.

BUT my proudest kill so far has come with a compound bow on an old doe that kept ruining hunts for my wifes bow stand... it took me weeks to figure out how to outsmart her, and then due to a hard lunge on her part, took me 8 hours to recover her. She hangs on our wall.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....