I'm looking for my 5th Samurai. My brother sold his to buy an old Land Cruiser,1969. He is regretting it and will get rid of it for another Samurai.Installed larger narrow tires, lower transfer case gears, and modified the door hinges to be able to quickly remove the doors. I modified the shifter as they are bad about hanging in gear when old and worn.
Only time it left anybody stuck was with one of my Nephews. He was about a mile from camp in a huge mud hole. Said he put it in 4WD and it wouldn't go. He walked through the mud and cold for the mile back to camp. He was cussing the Samurai! We went with another 4wd and a winch to get it. Guess what? He hadn't locked the hubs in. I locked the hubs and drove it back to camp.
We only have one in our camp now. We have a very low mileage Vietnam era Jeep and it is a pos. It has a V6 Buick motor and 3 speed standard. Idling in low gear is about 25 miles an hour, the steering effort is for a weight lifter, no provisions for doors, and he can only find a bikini top on it. It does have a wonderful winch that is driven by the PTO.