I have a SS/Lam No.1 in .375 H&H. Very accurate rifle with many bullets. Easy (though not cheap) to reload for and shoot with a wide variety of bullet/load/recoil choices available to the handloader. And even a 'downloaded' Holly is potent enough for anything in NA. Many here like the 260 Accubonds (I've shot the 260 and 300), but my friend informed me it is heresy to shoot plastic tipped bullets in a .375 H&H (so I went to the 300 gr Hornady RN and SP)! laugh

The first time I fired mine I was in a hurry to try it out and had loaded up some 270gr Hornadys with a medium-strong load. It was snowing/raining and the wind was blowing about 20+ so I just wanted to zero the scope and try her out. It was my maiden voyage with a .375 H&H. I will admit to being apprehensive on that first trigger pull; after all, this was the "Queen of the Mediums" used to kill everything walking in Africa, etc. I was stunned by the gentleness of its push--with that load/bullet.

Now, truth in advertising, mine came with a brake on it and with the Viper 2-7x32 on it and Pachmayer pad it weighs 9.7 lbs. I don't mind the brake at all, in fact, when I used to shoot at the range I enjoyed taking it out when the guys sat next to me with their shorty black rifles and spat brass and concussion my way!

Anyway, with regards to recoil I've fired hot loads (300 grs @ 2600-2650) and it was manageable off the bench (I set up my rig to sit as tall as possible). Field positions were of no consequence. I could routinely dial turrets and hit my 12" plate at 500 yds with a good rest. I quit when the energy at that range was still sufficient to rock the plate enough to tip my stand over WITH sandbags on the feet!

Took it hunting and saw cows but could only shoot bulls so no blood on it yet. I've strongly debated selling it as I've had my fun and am getting tired of recoil. I really enjoy my .308 and .223 now. Besides, I just built a 9.3 and she'll prbably be my go-to elk gun. Of course, all these guys who are lamenting selling their .375's might change my mind!

You don't have much to lose to try one. They resell fairly easy at the right price and everyone should at least shoot or own a .375 Holly in their life. One of the most versatile cartridges ever and the No.1 is just sweet.

One more note on recoil. My No.1A in .35 Whelen was nastier to shoot with full bore 250 gr loads and vicious with iron sights (sub 7 lbs). My 9.3 (20" barrel and 8 lbs) is also noticeably worse off the bench with hot loads of Big Game and 286 grainers bu then none of them are really recreational rifles or volume shooters so take that into account.

Guy,

Love that bear rug with the No.1 on it--beautiful.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...