Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by Texas99
Kevin, you are correct, of course. I don't intend to "push" the 10mm past levels proven to be safe. If I need more than that, I'll carry my .44 Mag, or one of my Contenders.

On the 14 more chances, though, often a game animal that does not go down does not give you 14 more chances to "make it right", - and my use of the 10mm will be for hunting.

IF your choice of a 10mm is for hunting, I think you would be far better off with a 1911 style pistol that has a fully ramped barrel. You would gain an immensely better trigger, better ergo's, a slimmer profile and with said fully ramped and thusly full coverage of the case barrel the Doubletap and Buffalo BOre stuff as well as handloads that replicated the original Dornaous and Dixon / Norma loads could easily and safely be digested.

The Doubletap, Buffbore etc. strike me as merely being what the 10mm auto round was intended and designed to be.

Mark,

I assume you mean building up a custom 1911 with a ramped barrel? The standard 1911 barrel is non-ramped and really doesn�t offer much more case support than the Glock (a little, but not much).

But you could do a ramped barrel in the 1911 and that would give you more case support. Or one could go with the Witness 10mm which is a very good, often overlooked, completely underrated, high capacity 10mm pistol with a single action carry option. They even make a �hunter� model with longer barrel and single action.