"Hodgdon's latest data shows 53.5 grains as maximum with IMR4895 and 250's, but I've seen .35 Whelen data take a nose-dive over the past decade or more. Alliant used to list 59 grains of RL-15 as max with a 250 only about 10 years ago, but now lists 54 grains, if I recall correctly."

MD. I wonder if it is a similar problem like Remington did with the .280 except this time it was all worked up with bolt actions in mind and then they decided to go with pumps and semi-autos so downloaded the ammo?
I do know that when I did the load work up with the 250 gr. Speer SP, 59.0 gr. proved to be a bit too hot in my Ruger M77 and Remington M700 Classic. I hadn't yet acquired my Mauser yet, but it accepted 60.4 gr. of Re15 and the 225 gr. Barnes. I've reached 59.0 gr. with the Nosler Accubond and Partition but it starts getting uncomfortable with 60.0 gr.
During a discussion with another Whelen shooter I know, he said that were some very noticable variation in burning rates between the different lots of Re15. Maybe that's the source of the downloading. Aw hell, what do I know? whistle
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE