Don't know about LA., but in WI there's no restriction re: qualification vs. carry.

Originally Posted by BountyHunter
I would recommend two guns in particular to look at.

1. KAHR P9/CW9. You can find good used for $350 range normally. Both are super comfortable and very accurate pistols with one of the best triggers around. I would not recommend the smaller version of the KAHR due to small size and handling issues. I have had a KAHR P9 since they came out years ago and it is my go to gun many times.
Ditto from here.. The majority of the time I carry my Kahr P-9..

3. S&W M&P Shield, again great size CCW pistol that is accurate and comfortable. Problem is finding one at decent price. MSRP is $449 and many places are charging a premium and used are around $400 IF you can find one. I am breaking this one in and so far it is super nice, accurate and ergonomically great for me.

I am big fan of the 9mm in a CCW. One caveat is that requires use of "premium self defense" ammo. That puts it right there with a 45 in stopping power. 9mm is around 92% one shot stop vs the 45 at 96%.

For 24 years in SOF I carried a 45 with ball ammmo because I had to and with ball the 45 is the only way to go, but that is not the same now with the new self defense ammo for 9mm.

CCW weapons are normally smaller and the 40 and 45 often have issues with recoil for many people and the 9mm offers better handling and cheaper ammo to practice which IMO makes it a better choice as easier to shoot normally gives more hits, which is the goal. Fit and feel in the hand are key pistol issues and these two work great for me. I hate glocks for that reason and recommend the S&W M&P line with the interchangable back straps.

BTW, NRA/CCW instructor for 19 years but just my opinion.
....and a good one at that.. smile smile Yer spot on IYAM..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!