Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
If we are talking elk, the 7mm08 has some intrinsic advantage in that the bullets are bigger. If the question was posed between the .243 and .358, both based on the same case most everyone would agree that the .358 is the better elk round.

I guess I will be the odd guy in that I would unquestionably say the .243 win with VLDs is a better elk round than anything from the .358 win. I will admit a lack of experience with the .358 Win on elk but based on my .243 Win /105gr VLD experience it is hard to see how the .358 Win can be "better".

Pretty sure I would be hesitant to wade into a 600yd elk with the the .358 Win but the .243 Win/105gr VLD is pretty proven at that shot. I have done that and have been there. cool

I have also killed bulls at 100yds with the .243 Win /105gr VLD and can say there is little room for improvement.

and you engage in that activity willingly? Are you sure those are elk your shooting, and not mule deer?

To even suggest the 243 with the fragile VLD bullet is a better deer elk cartridge than the 358 is irresponcible at best. Unlike your 243, the 358 shoots bullets meant for elk hunting and will break any bone encountered. Try putting that VLD though a leg/shoulder bone as the elk quarters to you.

You're telling a guy with tens and tens of kills with the 243 105 VLD on both elk and deer that is irresponsible? Why, because it kills too quickly?

Seriously, how may elk do you shoot in NY?

and the Native Americans in Canada shoot wolves and polar bears with a .223 also, but that doesn't mean it's a better cartridge than a 30-06 or 300magnum for the job. for someone to claim otherwise shows they are off their meds. Thousands of deer have been killed with a 22LR, but does anyone think that is better than a centerfire for killing of deer?

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.