Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've also noticed most of my super groups from hunting weight rifles were three shot groups. When I started shooting five shot groups (which is a much better measurement statistically), reality set in that my sporter weight rifles weren't going to be winning any benchrest matches. wink

I understand what you are saying but it seems that you are comparing apples and oranges. I've never seen any need for a hunting rifle to group more than 3 shots. That's why target rifles have heavy barrels. They are expected to be consistent over multiple shots in a relatively short amount of time. The target rifle and hunting rifle are designed differently to accomplish different things.

I would consider multiple 3 shot groups spread over several days to be a better gauge of a hunting rifle's consistency and accuracy than it's ability to shoot tight 5 shot groups. I would much rather own a 6 lb. rifle that could put 2 shots in the X ring on any given day than a 9 lb. rifle that can do the same with 5 shots.

Spot on. Three shot groups is the way to go for a hunting rig in my opinion. Nice Rig and great accuracy Mystro.

I have to agree with prairie_goat on this one based on the pictures mystro posted his rifle while having acceptable hunting accuracy, it isn't even close to a sub 1" shooter.

Originally Posted by mystro
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mystro

[Linked Image]

Based on the two three shot groups pictured I'd put his rifle at a 1.5" +/- rifle. Of course I don't know if any scope adjustments were made between groups or not, the info wasn't there or I missed it all together. Now if no scope adjustments were made he does have similar sized groups but the POI has changed from right to left. According to his pictures as well the two different groups were shot using the same ammunition in similar conditions.

Regardless, I'd still hunt with that rifle shooting like that and I'd be very successful.