My first 30-06 was like PJ's. Rem. 700 ADL. wood stock. Tried 150's, 165's, 180's even some round nose 150's and the best group I got was 3-4".
Swapped powder, primers, brass everything but sacrificing a chicken at midnight under a full moon (have to remember that one for the next non-shooter gun).
Bedded the action, floated the barrel, changed triggers even had a guy scope it. Nothing.
Got rid of it at a gun show.
Have an older 700 Mtn rifle that will shoot 165's under .7" for two shots before the barrel heats up and puts the 3rd one about 1/2" off. Need to play with the barrel channel on that one but with two shots that tight, I haven't bothered.

On another note. I know that Sako will chop an action, barrel and stock into pieces if it doesn't pass their 1 MOA tests. That's on both the Sako brand and the Tikka. Took a tour of their factory in the early 2000's and we asked why the 'nice' wood was cut up. We were told "that's from the few guns that just won't shoot the way we expect them to".

Last edited by Bbear; 04/27/14.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.