Originally Posted by logger
I'm very new to reloading handgun cartridges so am seeking some advice. I want to develop a 44 mag load for my S & W Mountain Gun oriented mostly to lighter (200 - 225 gr) jacketed bullets at relatively modest (i.e. 1000 fps) velocities. The use would be shots of opportunities on coyotes or cougars. I've read that a number of the 44 mag powders are best when at higher pressures (and therefore velocity). Unique (which I have) is listed as one powder that is very flexible as to be able to download to lower velocity and still retains decent accuracy. Are there other powders that should be on my list?

Nearly any pistol powder can be used so don't start off hung up on some ancient, dirty-burning, poor-metering, Abraham Lincoln endorsed Unique. But since you already bought some of it - all is lost as you are now another Unique-droid.

It is hard for me to think of a fast or medium burn rate powder that won't work great for your stated purpose. Although I personally would carry a 45acp instead of downloading to 44Wussy.

Seriously, ANY powder used for 45acp will do what you want. I don't feel like typing them all out. Personally I would tend towards the faster stuff as it will top-out burning cleanly at 1000fps and good ignition with regular primers.