Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dearest Travis(ty), im figuring an oxyegn depleating application of wasp fogger (ie, wasp fugger) short circuiting the breathing apparatus would be significantly distracting to the point of serious detrimental physical abilities to black or browns regardless of wheather they be of bipod or of quadrapod MOA.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/16/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eyeball
Dearest Travis(ty), im figuring an oxyegn depleating application of wasp fogger (ie, wasp fugger) short ciruiting the breathing apparutus would be significantly distracting to the point of serious detrimental physical abilities to black or browns regardless of wheather they be of bipod or of quadrapod MOA.

Feel free to market a wasp fogger to the backpacking fraternity and let me know.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by 1minute
employee in Glacier

Might have been a high school mate of mine. First person from our class of 1965 to die. Mauled by bear while working Glacier.

The attack occurred in 1960 on the Otokomi Lake Trail (4 miles or so from Rising Sun Campground). The ranger was Al Nelson and the boy was Smitty Parrot, whose father was a ranger. Nelson was up in a tree and saw Smitty being mauled; he jumped down and pulled the bear off him and covered Smitty with his body, suffering horrible wounds.

How on the world did a man pull a bear off another man? We talking full growed grizz here?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ivan,

If I had time I was hoping to try and meet up with you and Tarkio in Billings. Time did not allow.

Always next year.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I assure you there will be significant financial reward for you if you will agree to test the efficacy and efficiency of such a product for me, and possibly a significant share of the company should the product prove to be successful in its proposed purpose of proctecting aholes in the most formidable and dangerous of circumstances. I am eagerly awating you esteemed reply to my proposal. Yours sincerely, eye.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasp spray?

JFC.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I assure you there will be significant financial reward for you if you will agree to test the efficacy and efficiency of such a product for me, and possibly a significant share of the company should the product prove to be successful in its proposed purpose of proctecting aholes in the most formidable and dangerous of circumstances. I am eagerly awating you esteemed reply to my proposal. Yours sincerely, eye.

Send it.

$500.00 finder's fee. (Be advised, I don't know what this means)

Travis

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dear Rancho, I extend the same generous offer to you but with the product to be provided in a pressurized cannister filled with a common commercial propellent along with a strong addition of SSS commonly known as Skin So Soft. If it repels bears as well as blood sucking mosquitoes you could expect to become a financial, uh, success and could ultimately become a hero for developing cutting edge advances in protecting certain segments of the outdoor community.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outdoor community..

Do you even know what the first word means?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Ivan,

If I had time I was hoping to try and meet up with you and Tarkio in Billings. Time did not allow.

Always next year.

Travis

Ok. I will be looking forward to that meeting since the last beer I had was with you and I'm getting kinda thirsty.

How was fishing? Any bear sign around the lake? Bears have been causing plenty of problems south of Red Lodge.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Outdoor community..

Do you even know what the first word means?

Your hero the zero has assured me his compatriots wearing it for mosquito protection in Kenya have suffered not one single shark attack in the years they have used it.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave

Send it.

$500.00 finder's fee. (Be advised, I don't know what this means)

Travis

Travis, rest assured there is not one documented incident where anyone under physical assault by an Afreakin who has used the wasp spray in a judicious manner has suffered abuse sudsequent to its use.

You must certainly be aware many more people are harmed and killed in physical altercations between Afreakins and typical Amreicans than in similar altercations between Americans and bears. It seems pretty scientifically evident if a significant reduction in human/bear conflicts resulted in deatn a real contribution to the advancement in humananimality could be achieved.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Ok. I will be looking forward to that meeting since the last beer I had was with you and I'm getting kinda thirsty.

How was fishing? Any bear sign around the lake? Bears have been causing plenty of problems south of Red Lodge.

Fishing was horrible but I think that was due to the time frame of our visit to the lake. I wanted to be there early AM but it didn't pan out. Long story.

Bear sign on the trail leading to the lake. None up top.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis, rest assured there is not one documented incident where anyone under physical assault by an Afreakin who has used the wasp spray in a judicious manner has suffered abuse sudsequent to its use.

You must certainly be aware many more people are harmed and killed in physical altercations between Afreakins and typical Amreicans than in similar altercations between Americans and bears. It seems pretty scientifically evident if a significant reduction in human/bear conflicts resulted in deatn a real contribution to the advancement in humananimality could be achieved.

You're drunker than I am.

Never knew that was possible but I think it's true.

Travis

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm also fairly confident a 250gr. Keith to the spine will make a bear more tolerable.

Yep. And a 250 grain Keith a couple of inches to either side of the spine will make a bear an raging maniac that will not stop until he has had his revenge.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by McInnis

Yep. And a 250 grain Keith a couple of inches to either side of the spine will make a bear an raging maniac that will not stop until he has had his revenge.

I never miss.

When I'm alone.

Travis

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by McInnis
I've always wondered why some here seem to be so confident that they could stop a bear attack with a handgun, other than the fact that they know they'll never need to.

I'll bet almost every one of us has seen a small whitetail deer have both lungs blown out, and then run 100 yards before it drops.

Think about a grizzly closing on you at 45 ft. per second, giving you maybe a couple of seconds to aim and shoot, knowing you better hit the skull or spinal column or you're gonna get mauled.

When a person shoots a grizzly bear in a self defense situation, somebody's almost certain to die. Not so with bear spray.

then there's this.. old but applicable.
with a lowly .357 and zero distance~he didn't draw until his leg was in the grizzly's mouth.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/?image=11

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Im thinking a blast of wasp spray to the face of a black or bear may be more effective than pepper spray.

Works on the Amish....

Turns out the friggin' plain folk don't carry hardly any cash or cards neither, can't even hand you the keys 'cause there ain't any.

Three men have been charged in the attempted holdup of an Amish couple riding a buggy on their way back from church.

According to sheriff's reports, the three struck the buggy with their car before two of the men directed wasp spray at the couple and threatened them with baseball bats. They demanded money and frisked the husband, but they found he had no cash, police said.

Nearly an hour later, a sheriff's deputy spotted a car trying to force another buggy off a road in the same area. After a short chase, a car containing the suspects was pulled over and they were arrested.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd wager that the olfactory senses of a bear are bit more amazing than most people realize.

Prob'ly so, since they're commonly believed to be better in that regard than dogs, and dogs can detect the presence of human tumors under the skin.

I know everyone is hanging upon my every word, so this is what I think....

I think animals, even predators, have an innate startle response to sudden, unexpected major stimuli up close.

Only thing close I've seen in a bear was in my swift and skinny college days, when I was running a trail along a loud and rocky stream in the Adirondack Mts. Came around a big boulder adjacent to the stream and encountered a big male black bear coming the other way at near-contact distance.

Happened so quick I didn't even have time to get scared. First image I got was of the bear's head swinging down and around as it turned to flee. It ran off maybe forty yards and stopped and looked back, seemingly not knowing what I was. I called out to it and it ran off over a hill, scattering leaves and "huffing" with each bound. A startled bear.

This same bear was a regular each evening at the trash dump of a biological field station where I worked (this was back when people didn't worry all that much about trash bears) and was used to being observed by people not far off.

If dogs are any guide, the reaction of the seven incoming dogs I actually missed with bear spray was like throwing a switch: Aggression to flight in a fraction of a second, even in them four pit bulls, which are famously insensitive to pain when excited. I would guess, even if not directly hit, the mental switchboard of their olfactory system also lights up with the sudden strong and unfamiliar odor, further enhancing the startle effect.

Here's the 1984 study where a guy sprayed five wild bears with capsaicin, only one I can find on the 'net...

http://bearstudy.org/website/images...k_Bears_to_Capsaicin_Spray_Repellant.pdf

I sprayed bears that attempted to take
meat from a box beside me. Five adults (4 males, 1
female) were sprayed in the eye(s) with capsaicin
solution at dusk or at night from a distance of 1.5 to 3
m. All immediately blinked hard, whirled away, and
fled 7 to 20 m where they stopped and rubbed their
eyes with their paws for up to a minute.

They retreated maybe 7.5 to 23 yrds and "rubbed their eyes with their paws for up to a minute", no word on how long the ones that didn't react "up to a minute" were put out. The rottie I hit rubbed its face for maybe 15 seconds. One of those test bears came back tree times.

I'm sorry the guy didn't hit 'em with the eye with spray starch as a control, might have taken 'em longer to rub it off, or maybe wasp spray I dunno.

OTOH, when capsaicin isn't presented in a sudden 20ft blast, Alaskan brown bears at least seem to be attracted to the odor....

http://www.seeleyswanpathfinder.com/pfnews/aug98/pepprspra.html

Tom Smith's experiment involved spraying several test sites in bear travel corridors with a four second burst of commercially available pepper sprays. Then he waited for bears and watched their reactions from blinds he constructed nearby. He was rewarded with a total of 40 visits from 13 different groups of brown bears.

The bears displayed no apparent response in 40% of their encounters with pepper spray, but were observed to be highly responsive in 28% of the cases. Slight or moderate responses accounted for the remaining 32%. Observed behaviors included sniffing, pawing, licking, head rubbing and 11 occurrences of bears rolling their entire body on the pepper spray residue.

Tom reported that he and his field crews had never observed bears rubbing their heads on the ground, pawing and licking soils, or rolling on their backs during more than 750 hours of time spent observing brown bears previously in the same area, and could only conclude that red pepper spray was the cause. What's more, bears were observed to react strongly to pepper spray residues that were five days old, and he speculated that effects might persist much longer.

Rest assured them bears were flooding their exquisitely sensitive olfactory equipment with the odor of capsaicin (and the associated inert carrier ingredients from the spray), and some liked it enough that they rolled in it, a behavior not previously observed.

Bears commonly raid hives full of thousands of stinging bees, and since bears used to raiding beehives will also push through live electric fencing to get to said hives, plainly a bear's response to pain differs from our own.

OK, once again, I ain't saying bear spray doesn't startle most incoming bears, plainly it does, just like them seven dogs I missed.

Oh yah.... my neighbors said "Hola!" grin

(not really, most of don't speak much Spanish wink )

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Friends of mine left a mix of diet pepsi and beer in a creek by a remote cabin. While they were gone, a bear raided the cache and was able to sort out the beer and leave the pepsi untouched. Pretty amazing sense of smell and good taste too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 60 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,549
Posts18,472,957
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.