-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has been an ongoing thing since the advent of smokeless powder and H.V. small-bore shooting, it took a long time for the bullets to catch up. I don't know what or how this premium business got started, it's just some bullets work better depending on a. how much Velocity you are driving them at and how close or far you are shooting, Then the general size of the game being hunted. For example, a 180 gr Hornaday SP works great in the 308- 30-06 velocity level on most things you would ever shoot with those cartridges, the Same Bullet in a 300 Weatherby, 300 Dakota then the bullet will tend to break up more than usual at the closer ranges. So you choose a better-constructed bullet for those kinds of cartridges. It's not rocket science. It's the same old light and fast vs Heavy and slow thing. Remember when the 30-30 came out it was 2200 fps with a 170 gr bullet before that, Americans at least shot rifles that were in the 1300 to 1800 fps range and the bullets of the day worked well at that velocity range. I don't consider a Nosler Partition or the like to be all that extra in cost over the standard cup and core bullet with regard to the overall cost of hunting big game even on my own land, even with a free landowners tags, I consider my property tax bill to be a part of my deer hunting costs. The buck and a half for the cartridge is kind of a moot point to me. But it seems that this horse gets beat to death just about every year at this time since the seasons are coming and well some people like to hear themselves type. There is no big secret in big game shooting, just shoot a reasonable cartridge for the tasks at reasonable ranges with a bullet that is up to the task you want it to do.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Judman
[quote=horse1]Well, this’ll piss a few folks off. However, for the most part on deer at least, when I’ve decided to pull the trigger, it’s because I want thatparticular deer’s set of antlers. I really don’t care what angle the deer gives me, I just want to have enough bullet to get to the vitals, even if that means an entry through the rear quarters.[/quote

Naw that's about right....

Yes...This! Though not specifically for antlers, I just want it dead...from any angle! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/09/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Todays name brand American made hunting ammo. Is loaded with premium bullets, Powder, Primers, Brass. All have been improved over the last 5 decades.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Mike74
I've never run into the deer that I couldn't kill cleanly with a Core-Lokt or Power-Point.
Me neither. And you can add the generic Federal "power Shok" bullet to my list too. Course I don't shoot deer in the azz either.

I was going to add Federals but felt it would make my post longer than I wanted it to be.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Way back when i started hunting guys would take a week off work and go to deer camp - maybe they had multiple opportunities or could take their time for a good shot with the standard bullets of the day. Now I'm lucky to get 2 saturdays a year to rifle hunt and I want to make the most of my limited time/opportunity. I don't mind payaing a litlle more for a better bullet - hell 1 box of 50 will last me years.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And JWall, I do not consider Sierra pro Hunters premium bullets but I do consider them too tough. At least the .30 caliber 180 grain variety.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Core-lokts and rubber buckle boots with thick wool socks is where it’s at. Throw on a 5 pound Woolrich coat and be in Whitetail nervana.

Last edited by battue; 09/09/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike

I understand.

Diff idea:

I changed my sig line SO I omit my name.... it’s still Jerry grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Mike

I understand.

Diff idea:

I changed my sig line SO I omit my name.... it’s still Jerry grin

Yup. I wanted everybody else to know who I was addressing without quoting your post. wink laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Its hard to answer because "premium bullets" covers quite a range of terminal behavior. Some are perfect for a wide range of velocities and game. Some are quite violent and the "eat to the bullet hole" guys are going to hate them. Some are so hard that buffalo is about the right game size, and yet those have fans for deer. With variations like that, who gets to decide what premium even means? I'd say that some, but not most take whatever premium means to them seriously. They are few by percentage, but quite vocal. I'm no different; I will tell anyone my thoughts on bullets and solidly back the idea that some "premium" bullets are harder than optimum for most of the game most of the time.

It doesn't seem like it on a guncentric message board; but most hunters aren't even handloaders never mind died-in-the-wool gun/bullet/cartridge nuts. They are just millions of guys who buy their ordinary, cheap, simple factory loads in what seems like the appropriate weight and go hunting without a great deal of fuss. The ammunition makers have done quite a good job of producing ammo that makes most of the people happy most of the time by giving them what they need. Face it, most game isn't very big, or very tough or very far away. The farther you stray from ordinary, the more you should question what is so darn special about what you're doing. Chances are, nothing at all.

Well-said

Guys, I'm NOT arrogant nor conceited.

But I refuse to settle for less when it comes to ammunition. You don't shoot A LOT of good bullets OR premium bullets, when you're hunting.
There are CHEAP bullets for practice.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
where and what I hunt I can and do hunt with cast lead bullets. if I where to go out my home ranges I would want the best. hear a real big body deer is 145# .hogs are head shot and most deer are to. I like to hunt close in shots are 65yards less

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 44mc
where and what I hunt I can and do hunt with cast lead bullets. if I where to go out my home ranges I would want the best. hear a real big body deer is 145# .hogs are head shot and most deer are to. I like to hunt close in shots are 65yards less

Just guess’n.....you would prefer a premium hard cast, wide metplat, over a standard soft lead, round nose! 🤔 Hard cast, wide metplat, is my preferred cast bullet! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mooshoo
I tried then new Winchester fail safes 308 win and 150gr on a small mule deer buck, shot him 3 times each bullet went threw him
with like ball ammo, he finally went down no expansion at all.

sounds like no projectiles were recovered, How did you determine no expansion took place?

The new generation polymer tip FS is likely to expand easier than the old generation FS.

I had no bad experiences with the old design even at over 400yds....had some DRTs
and others ran a reasonable distance like they could with any other premium.
Some people were rather disappointed that Win. discontinued the old FS bcause
they shot well in their custom rifles and killed very well...probably the best penetrating soft of that time.

yet I had a guide at SCI Reno tell me the FS was too hard for buffalo.... whistle

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

44 -

A good hard cast bullet is a GOOD bullet. They've worked within reasonable distances for MANY years.
Nothing wrong with them.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Heavy for caliber was typically because anything less sucked and you wanted at least a chunk of something to make it out the other side.

Never seen a problem with using something that works when everything is wrong, over something that only works when everything is right.

YMMV

I can remember Dad sighting in his '06 for moose hunting with those 220 gr. rounds. He'd tape a big piece of foam rubber onto the recoil pad and take his lumps. He killed a nice bull in '69. He hit it square in the heart and it still managed to run back in the bush away from the lakeshore before it died.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jwall I did not mean to criticize .just trying to say some people try to buy stuff to make them better. ...

That is true and often the buyers aren't capable of taking advantage of the better equipment because they suck at shooting, finding game, etc.. It is also true that people buy 'better' stuff because they CAN take advantage of what the 'better' equipment offers.

I'v hunted with handguns to rifles capable of hitting clay pigeons at 600 yards. And I've had shot opportunities that range from a few feet to farther than I'd ever attempt. There are bullets I trust to work at both extremes and others I do not. The ones I trust get my money.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
And I've had shot opportunities that range from a few feet to farther than I'd ever attempt. There are bullets I trust to work at both extremes and others I do not. The ones I trust get my money.

Y E P !!

We have become spoiled to having things 'near' perfection. In hunting I want something that I can count on working every time.
It's available, so why not?.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
And I've had shot opportunities that range from a few feet to farther than I'd ever attempt. There are bullets I trust to work at both extremes and others I do not. The ones I trust get my money.

Y E P !!

We have become spoiled to having things 'near' perfection. In hunting I want something that I can count on working every time.
It's available, so why not?.

A “Y E P” on both! This not only applies to bullets...but cartridges as well! Given perfect circumstances, an elk could be taken with an air rifle, BUT, just because you can....doesn’t mean you should! memtb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
most bullets for deer are just fine,but here`s my thought and reason : I shoot a lot of nice bucks with my bow ,but I still go rifle hunting every year with the family for fun and very seldom shoot a big buck ,I always give them the best stands for rifle season,but if I get that rare opportunity in the rifle deer stand I want to use a good handload out of my 257 weatherby with a good bullet either swift a-frames or nosler partitions my reason big deer die hard and don`t want to loose that buck.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The "least premium" bullet there is is the round ball. I have used many of them to kill many kinds of game, up to the size of moose.

But I see 2 categories where I recommend bullets (designed so they retain 70% or more of their weight ever time.)

#1 is any gun that fires it's bullet at 2900 FPS or higher. High striking velocity is not good for standard bullets and contrary to what the magazine adds would have you believe, too much velocity DOES NOT kill large game better then somewhat slower speeds. It makes the round shoot flatter and has a bit less wind drift, but it does not "kill better".

#2 is "going small" on your cartridge for the game you hunt. There is NOTHING wrong with a 25-06 for an elk rifle IF you have a bullet that expands and still exits the elk. That's where a Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX or some of the best bonded and partition bullets are worth their weight in gold. Remember that bullet HOLES are what kills the game and a hole that exits is as deep as you can get. If 100% penetration is give to you, the only thing left to "adjust" is how big around that hole is.

There is never anything wrong with using a bonded or partition bullet on a white tail deer, but it's not really necessary. It's like asking if a 3/4 ton truck will carry the kids home from school "better" then a Honda civic. It's bigger, stronger and more powerful! yup, sure is.

And that gives you what advantage exactly?

I use bonded and partition bullets in many of my rifles. And when I hunt deer or antelope I don't often re-zero for a non-premium bullet. But to me it's more a matter of convenience. I buy large lots (at least 1000 at a time and often 5000 at a time) of cup-and-core bullets to have fun with when ever I can. I shoot them all year to practice and have fun with. But in late august I re-zero (when necessary) with the bonded or partition bullets and leave the rifles that way until I am done hunting.

In my wife's 30-06 and in my scout carbine (also a 30-06) I leave it alone because I use the same weight of Nosler partition as I do Hornady inner-lock and I have found the rifles shoot to the exact same points of impact with the 2 bullets. So there is no need to monkey with sights. We use Hornady standard cup-and core for deer and antelope and drop in Noslers partitions when elk hunting. 2 of my 270s are the same, shooting Hornady standard bullets to the same point of impact as Nosler Partitions. That makes it very easy.

My 6.5 M/S uses only round nose bullets, so I have no choice but I have found no problems with them anyway.

My 25-06 uses old stock 120 grain Core-Lokts and I have never had a problem with performance with it either, but I don't shoot elk with it. Not that I could not do it, but I have other rifles that I like better for that purpose.

Same with my 30-30. There are premium bullets made for it, but 170 grain soft nose bullets have been killing and exiting large deer for me for over 45 years, and I can't see any reason to spend more of the same size hole through a deer that can't do any better.

Another point is that not all bullets that retain 70% or more of their weight are "premium bullets. I have used a number of old fashioned cup-and-core bullets in various calibers that didn't do anything any worse then a bonded or partition bullet. But that can be a function of striking velocity. As an example, the old 150 grain Winchester Power Point bullet in a 308 Winchester is outstanding. I have recovered 2 from elk that broke bone, and one weights 129 and the other 131 grains. But that same bullet would no do as well from a 300 mag.

So the issue can become complex and unless you have a lot of years to test such things, it can be best to simply go with a "premium bullet" if you are in doubt, and that is one good reason so many hunter do just that. I super bullet probably is not needed, but it doesn't hurt either but for one circumstance . That brings me to my last point which I'll call "too much of a good thing";

In the case of expanding solids and Swift bonded bullets I have found that STRIKING velocity needs to be 2000 FPS or higher to make them work really well. So these types are best mated to rifles that fire their bullets at 2900 FPS and more, or are used at ranges of 250 yards and less. They are very popular for use on potentially dangerous game. No animal is dangerous at long range. Only when they can touch you! But those that give bad reviews of some of these bullets often hit game with them at 300+ yards with powerful rifles that give M.Vs. of about 2500 to 2600. So at the longer ranges the bullets don't open up much and sometimes not at all. Over all ranges and over the broad list of game, the one bullet I have found that seems to cover all the bases best so far has been the Nosler partition. The resent addition of bonded bullets may change my mind, but I have 50+ years of experience comparing Partitions to other bullets and the bonded offerings are too new for my to have the broad base of experience to speak from with any degree of 1st hand authority. So far however what I have seen with the bonded offerings of Hornady, Nosler and a handful of others may make me believe that the partitions are not alone at the top any more. (If I live long enough to learn)

I still use cup-and core in some of my rifles because a good bonded or Partition is not made for them. I also use c&c bullets when I see no advantage to switching over, but I have used a lot of bummer bullets in my years of hunting (now 54 years) in many states and in 5 countries. I have learned a lot about what bullets to NOT use. and I try to pass on that info to younger hunters when I am asked. But I have not lived long enough to make every mistake myself.

In a nutshell, what I recommend is to use a bullet to practice with that you can afford to practice with a LOT and then if possible and if available use a premium bullet on game. If you were to use 1/2 a box of "XYZ SUPER BULLETS" to confirm that they shot to the same trajectory as your "ABC standard bullet" and were just as accurate you would still have 25 left in the 1st box to kill game with. If you buy 5 boxes of XYZ SUPER BULLETS and you use ABC Standard bullets to practice with, you will become a very good field marksman and every thing you shoot will end up in your freezer, and over 200 SUPER BULLETS are going to last you a very long time. You only shoot game with them. Shoot dirt clots, far rocks, rabbits, grounds hogs, marmots, tin cans and so on with the ABC bullets and you'll find that being a good marksman is worth more than all the other trivia combined.

Last edited by szihn; 09/10/18.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.