Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So Montana has a shoulder season that starts August 15 th runs thru part of next year. how would you as I have to do as a bowhunter sitting in the mountains trying to tag a legal bull or cow and all`s you hear and see is a pickup or two pull up on private ground near a rancher`s alfalfa field,chasin elk with truck, people jump out start shooting their rifles at a herd of elk ,maybe kill a cow or calf ,oh by the way some locals buy more than one tag and that is legal too,have even seen a bull limbed off too. these locals call themselves`s hunters what a joke. its not a shoulder season its a slaughter season for the locals ! this is just wrong and way to early and way to many elk killed too ! but oh boy anyone with a real disability can not use a x-bow in Montana either but its ok to kill up to 3 cow elk per person in August in Montana on private land with your rifle. common sense ? really ? shame on Montana

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MT FWP is run by landowners and the politicians that cater to them, not by science/biologists...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What the heck does shoulder season mean?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two points.

1. If a shoulder season in held on private land, wouldn't it encourage elk 2!stay on public land?

2. Brucellosis has reared its ugly head in Montana,.............elk numbers have got 2 drop.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The shoulder season closes during archery season. I wish they would not start it until after gun season closes instead of Aug. 15 and cut it off around Jan. 1st. Has changed the elk movement completely in 393. Between the wolves, shoulder seasons and outfitters, The hunting in 393 is worthless.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

You can only shoot 'em in the "front shoulder."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
MT FWP is run by landowners and the politicians that cater to them, not by science/biologists...

yep this is true and terrible for all real hunters !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pete53

Yes, and you must include the activists from both sides of the time clock.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh no silly rabbit.....

Front shoulder....middle shoulder.....top shoulder.....low shoulder.....back shoulder.....all possible shoulders???????????????

Except NOT from the road shoulder!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/08/18.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
“A shoulder season is a firearms season that occurs outside the 5-week general firearms and archery seasons. While most shoulder seasons focus on antlerless elk harvest on private land and are not intended to replace or reduce harvest during the existing archery or 5-week general firearms seasons, a few are meant to address problematic distribution of elk.”

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dumb name for a season

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Two points.

1. If a shoulder season in held on private land, wouldn't it encourage elk 2!stay on public land?

2. Brucellosis has reared its ugly head in Montana,.............elk numbers have got 2 drop.

Two Points:

1). Yes, the shoulder season is on private land http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/seasons/elkShoulder/

"While most shoulder seasons focus on antlerless elk harvest on private land and are not intended to replace or reduce harvest during the existing archery or 5-week general firearms seasons, a few are meant to address problematic distribution of elk."

2). The shoulder season extends geographically far beyond the GYES where brucellosis is generally concentrated. The "brucellosis threat" is a massively overblown red herring used to pressure FWP. Brucellosis monitoring and management is extraordinarily thorough.

The stressing and harassment of elk when they are most vulnerable (winter) directly on the heels of our lengthy 3 mo's archery and firearms seasons is unconscionable.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Dumb name for a season

Totally

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Yes, and you must include the activists from both sides of the time clock.

don`t forget these ranchers have all there cows in the mountains all summer long so all the grass is gone so elk have to come down to feed on private land , its a very bad cycle and the elk are the ones that suffer. its time to get all beef out of the mountains all year long, so elk have grass to eat in the mountains

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So you need science to qualify as a correct model for game management. That is only part of the picture. If you go to any of the meetings held by FWP on any management issues, you don't see many biologists and scientists, you see sportsmen that want to modify the seasons to enhance hunting opportunities. I'm not saying that is wrong, it is just how things are done.

So when a landowner complains to the FWP about elk populations, why does it have to be done in accordance with science anymore than other forms of input? I shoot gophers on plenty of ranches that don't summer cattle on public ground. I have spent days rebuilding fences that elk have knocked down on those ranches and FWP isn't funding or sending anyone there to help. So when people complain about shoulder seasons and blame ranchers for screwing up the hunting season, it isn't really a complete picture of the elk or elk management practices...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

So you need science to qualify as a correct model for game management. That is only part of the picture. If you go to any of the meetings held by FWP on any management issues, you don't see many biologists and scientists, you see sportsmen that want to modify the seasons to enhance hunting opportunities. I'm not saying that is wrong, it is just how things are done.

So when a landowner complains to the FWP about elk populations, why does it have to be done in accordance with science anymore than other forms of input? I shoot gophers on plenty of ranches that don't summer cattle on public ground. I have spent days rebuilding fences that elk have knocked down on those ranches and FWP isn't funding or sending anyone there to help. So when people complain about shoulder seasons and blame ranchers for screwing up the hunting season, it isn't really a complete picture of the elk or elk management practices...

so why allow beef cows in the public mountains and all public land ? these ranchers beef cows have eaten and destroyed the grass for years and now these ranchers want to complain about the elk ? really? lets take those beef cows off and out of all public lands permanently and see in 10 years if I am wrong. lets also make residents pay more for a elk tag too seems wrong residents pay less than $40.00 for a elk license and a non-resident pays around $900.00 . then non-residents come out to Montana and ranchers have most of the public elk on there land and want a fee or won`t let you hunt on their land,but its ok to have beef cows eat and destroy public land every year. that`s just all wrong ! some day this will change and those beef cows will be fenced on ranchers land and the ranchers won`t be using public grass land no more ,so these ranchers better stop whinning so much.

Last edited by pete53; 12/09/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So when people complain about shoulder seasons and blame ranchers for screwing up the hunting season, it isn't really a complete picture of the elk or elk management practices...

I never said ranchers/farmers were the entirety of the reason for the shoulder season, but they are the primary reason. They wield the most power and influence.

So you need science to qualify as a correct model for game management.

YES... unless you live in the middle ages.

I shoot gophers on plenty of ranches that don't summer cattle on public ground. I have spent days rebuilding fences that elk have knocked down on those ranches and FWP isn't funding or sending anyone there to help.

You ranch in elk country, that's what you get. News Flash: Elk create incredible value for those ranches, and give them a value far beyond ag prices. Most of those ranchers beoching about elk are multi-millionaires (at least on paper) because of those elk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So when people complain about shoulder seasons and blame ranchers for screwing up the hunting season, it isn't really a complete picture of the elk or elk management practices...

I never said ranchers/farmers were the entirety of the reason for the shoulder season, but they are the primary reason. They wield the most power and influence.

You and people like come from somewhere else for the grandeur of “Big Sky Country” and don’t realize that Montana used to be the “Treasure State” due to the industry of livestock and natural resources. Water rights and grazing permits predate Montana statehood and that is the industry that newcomers like you don’t like because it interferes with your selfish views of what is left.

You eat meat, live in a house that was built with lumber, wear leather shoes and want to be left alone in the wilderness. Montana used to be in the top 10% of states that were self sufficient through the industries that are now fragile and supported by government programs because the agricultural community has been strangled by people like you and you piss and moan about that.

There are all sorts of highways leading out of Montana, if you don’t like it here get on one and leave...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You and people like come from somewhere else for the grandeur of “Big Sky Country” and don’t realize that Montana used to be the “Treasure State” due to the industry of livestock and natural resources. Water rights and grazing permits predate Montana statehood and that is the industry that newcomers like you don’t like because it interferes with your selfish views of what is left.

You eat meat, live in a house that was built with lumber, wear leather shoes and want to be left alone in the wilderness. Montana used to be in the top 10% of states that were self sufficient through the industries that are now fragile and supported by government programs because the agricultural community has been strangled by people like you and you piss and moan about that.

There are all sorts of highways leading out of Montana, if you don’t like it here get on one and leave...

So typical...

I understand a little something about the Treasure State. My father was here flying lease-hounds around Montana before you were born. The mineral wealth in the state was/is staggering, but is also why Montana has some serious Superfund sites, including the Berkley Pit. The fact that Montana has moved past an extraction economy isn't a good thing?

There are intelligent ways to manage natural resources and stupid ways...

But of course defacing natural wonders with regard to no one but yourself seems right up your alley...

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?285848-Does-Anyone-Remember-Larry-Altimus

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
no I will still come to Montana its part of America and free in a way to drive any place in America,but the rule/law of cattle in the mountains needs to change on Federal land , so since ranchers whine about elk, many of us will whine to our congress men and we out number you and ranchers and we the people will make a huge change permantly, don`t forget federal land belongs to all the people of America not just ranchers or you we all are part of America ,maybe the native Americans should have a say on where beef cattle should be allowed ,we were here first and my other ancestor part Viking heritage discovered America,just because you live in Montana does not give you or anyone else anymore more rights on Federal land >America is one country a vote can change the law !

Last edited by pete53; 12/09/18.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some people still don't understand that lower elevations, which are usually privately owned , feed those elk all winter long.The elk move lower,not because all the grass has been grazed, but because most of it is covered with snow too deep to paw thru.This has been going on for a few hundred years at least. The elk feeding on private land eat a lot more forage than they do on public land during the winter.

Another reason they move to private land is too much hunter pressure on public land.They aren't dummies and know where they are safe.

I hunt where mostly sheep are grazed. I find ell very year.

California is great example of cutting out grazing and timber on public land . The old saying "graze, log it or let it burn" holds true.

You can bit*h to your congressman all you want,but when it comes down to it,the ag community carries much more weight.Also the federal government does not control wildlife,each state does. The feds can pass all the laws they want about use of federal lands ,but they can't control wildlife unless it is a protected species. All those mean nasty ranchers have the right to kill all those elk that are eating their forage,but mostly they feed them.

Colorado has such hunts.I disagree on how CPW manages them.Mostly because vouchers are given out to ranchers when crop damage occurs and the rancher decides who hunts,sometimes selling those tags.The general public has no way of finding out who gets those tags.
There are units in Colorado where a person can get two elk tags for public land "A" and "B" tags. Crop damage or cull hunts are "C" tags and you can buy as many as you want.

" don`t forget federal land belongs to all the people of America not just ranchers" You can do anything within legal means to use any federal land,but you have to go to the states to hunt on that land.Something too many people can't get thru their thick skulls.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think an awful lot of folks fail to realize that success rates in most traditional "elk hunting" states runs in the low 20% range with WY being the outlier in the mid-40% range. That means 1 legal elk every ~5yrs of hunting. Even if you as a non-resident hunt every-other year you're looking at an average of 1 legal elk/decade. WY is higher but it's unlikely you're going to hunt WY every year due to preference points.

Elk hunting isn't like sitting in a stand/blind over a corn-flinger.

Last edited by horse1; 12/09/18.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It looks to me like the FWP is certainly bowing to pressure(dollars) from ranchers via the state legislature to open up public land to grazing and to reduce elk numbers to non-huntable numbers. Looking at what has been done in 380, 392, 391 and a few other zones nearby that I've hunted over the last decade bear that out. The FWP is giving out more cow tags than there are elk in most of these areas. That is blatant depopulation.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wolves, sub divisions and 'wilderness' trophy homes are clearly the answer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Wolves, sub divisions and 'wilderness' trophy homes are clearly the answer.

Sam, did you know you are a millionaire?

News Flash: Elk create incredible value for those ranches, and give them a value far beyond ag prices. Most of those ranchers beoching about elk are multi-millionaires (at least on paper) because of those elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are too many elk, too many cattle, not enough mule deer.

And a new emerging whitetail population that is most exciting on the Eastern mid Idaho Border.

Any amount of brucellosis in any herd of animals is a " Big Deal" IMO.

It is a shame some one blames successful cow elk hunting on their own inability to harvest an animal during Montanas general season.

Personally I find Montana a total breath of fresh air to big game hunting compared to Idaho! But I am a dick head!

Please hunt Idaho instead!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/09/18.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Pete53, I hope you are more intelligent than your writing skill indicates. Please proofread before posting. A couple of points.With a couple of exceptions, elk numbers are way over projection. Two reasons why. There is a lot of private land that won't allow hunting. The problem is that many of their neighbors that do allow hunting, have to deal with the massive elk herds coming off those locked up properties when winter hits, and the elk head for their haystacks. Second, many of the elk have been living in the irrigated pivots for 5 or 6 generations now. Those elk have been born and raised in the near vicinity and won't leave willingly. There is plenty of grass for cattle and elk on public ground. The elk are not starving. Would you rather eat dry crappy grass in august, or set up camp in an irrigated pivot of alfalfa? There are no perfect solutions, and as long as we want private property rights in this country, we will have to deal with people who won't allow hunting even when they should. All sides will have to give a little. The overall sorry condition of the average elk Hunter here in Montana doesn't help much. More people that want to sit and gripe, than get out and walk and hunt. If you can't at least kill a cow elk here in Montana during a 5 week season, then you haven't hunted very hard.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

so why allow beef cows in the public mountains and all public land ? these ranchers beef cows have eaten and destroyed the grass for years and now these ranchers want to complain about the elk ? really? lets take those beef cows off and out of all public lands permanently and see in 10 years if I am wrong. lets also make residents pay more for a elk tag too seems wrong residents pay less than $40.00 for a elk license and a non-resident pays around $900.00 . then non-residents come out to Montana and ranchers have most of the public elk on there land and want a fee or won`t let you hunt on their land,but its ok to have beef cows eat and destroy public land every year. that`s just all wrong ! some day this will change and those beef cows will be fenced on ranchers land and the ranchers won`t be using public grass land no more ,so these ranchers better stop whinning so much.

Ranches in the west are a tremendous land trust for wildlife, sportsmen, and wildlife enthusiast alike. Most ranchers today are land-rich and cash-poor. Folks love to run them down but many live on million dollar plus properties and work for pennies. I don't begrudge them the bit of public grazing that is left on FS land or the vast areas of BLM that is grazed. You run these ranches out of business and the alternative is too often development, 20 acre parcels. What's more is that the truth is the opposite. Studies show that regularly grazed land is healthier year-to-year over ungrazed, overgrown land. You show some evidence that elk are starving in the mountains due to competition with cattle and I'm all ears. Finally, much of the grazing has been cut back due to the clean water act, which closed many areas to public lease. As a population, ranchers are our friends and the friends of wildlife. I don't need free access to all ranch property to recognize the benefit we derive.

Shrap, it is always interesting that folks come here because of the beauty and abundance and then want to fix it. What they might miss is that we've been hunting, ranching, farming, and mining this land as long as we've been here. Is it perfect? No, certainly not. But I'm always hearing these one-aspect solutions that are supposed to solve great issues with little consideration for what the unintended consequences might be.

As for me, I get elk during the general season every year on public land. I don't hunt the shoulder season. However I understand that the shoulder season is designed to drive elk from private holdings and onto public land, thus increasing your opportunities. It seems to me that the OP is barking up the wrong tree. Maybe stop worrying over elk that you can't hunt and go where the elk live that you can hunt?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by headwatermike
It seems to me that the OP is barking up the wrong tree.

The OP likely comes from the land of raised permanent "Pinochle" stands, abandoned farmstead woodlots, and 3 acre food plots.

I saw in the bowhunting/crossbow thread that the OP has a 4pt minimum on his hunting property back in WI. I didn't see where he stated that he let folks come in and shoot does or voluntarily moves deer off of his land and onto public land to help provide opportunity for folks hunting public land.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Can you quantify how public lands are in worse shape now than they were 10, 15, or 20 years ago?

I can tell from your sophomoric posts that you have no clue what you're speaking about. You are simply emoting like a hysteric woman.

Educate yourself because you are making a fool of yourself.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
no I will still come to Montana its part of America and free in a way to drive any place in America,but the rule/law of cattle in the mountains needs to change on Federal land , so since ranchers whine about elk, many of us will whine to our congress men and we out number you and ranchers and we the people will make a huge change permantly, don`t forget federal land belongs to all the people of America not just ranchers or you we all are part of America ,maybe the native Americans should have a say on where beef cattle should be allowed ,we were here first and my other ancestor part Viking heritage discovered America,just because you live in Montana does not give you or anyone else anymore more rights on Federal land >America is one country a vote can change the law !

Do you have any clue why elk numbers are up?

Do you not understand that a tremendous amount of wildlife population boom in the western states, Montana included, are a result of improvements made to range, both public and private, by ranchers. Yes, those terrible people that you choose to denigrate here. It is no wonder you struggle getting access to hunt anywhere but public lands with an ignorant, chip-on-your-shoulder, uneducated attitude like you have.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody have any General tag shoulder season recommendations?

I never filled my elk tag and am not wanting to buy a non resident B if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I talked to the retired FWP biologist that spent decades managing the Madison-Wall Creek Wildlife Management Area out of Ennis, Montana. Specifically, we talked about grazing allotments on the National Forest and the impact on elk. It was concluded by him that the cattle grazing on the National Forest had virtually no impact on the available grass for elk forage. He also mentioned how the elk moved out of the high country due to snow and weather conditions and not because of lack of grass.

Further, he explained the reasons for shoulder seasons and how landowners were involved in that decision process by FWP. The lies that Brad and Pete want to spread is nothing more than an emotional rant because they want to force landowners to allow them to hunt on private property in the name of game management. You guys need to get more information other than Gallatin Wildlife Federation and other environmentally based organizations that want to overturn private property rights for the sake of personal selfishness.

Nothing but crickets from the gallery I am sure, as our boys that want everything for themselves, realize they are not in the majority for wanting things their way...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So Shrapnel, were you ever prosecuted for defacing public property?

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?285848-Does-Anyone-Remember-Larry-Altimus

Because frankly, you've got quite the arrogance to come here and, rather than have a conversation from differing POV's about public property (elk), turn to personal attacks because someone differs with you.

Amazing hypocrisy...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So Shrapnel, were you ever prosecuted for defacing public property?

Because frankly, you've got quite the arrogance to come here and, rather than have a conversation from differing POV's about public property (elk), turn to personal attacks because someone differs with you.

Amazing...

Of course not. You and your butt buddy Kurt are way off base. You keep trying to bring that ridiculous story of defacing property. You haven't even been there and keep trying to make something of it. It is a signature rock face that local ranchers have scratched their names and brands into for decades. That is how we found it, we were told by local ranchers. Somewhere after the fact, there has been a claim that there are petroglyphs in the same are, but it is also under good authority that the so-called petroglyphs were scratched there by those same ranchers.

You have no knowledge of any of this but through Kurt and yet you don't see mine or anyone else's name by the petroglyphs, just in another rock face. Here is another picture of a rock face we defaced, I have found them in various places around the state and they are nothing more than markes of people and their passing by a similar place over time. Go ahead and report this one too...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Of course not. You and your butt buddy Kurt are way off base. You keep trying to bring that ridiculous story of defacing property. You haven't even been there and keep trying to make something of it. It is a signature rock face that local ranchers have scratched their names and brands into for decades. That is how we found it, we were told by local ranchers. Somewhere after the fact, there has been a claim that there are petroglyphs in the same are, but it is also under good authority that the so-called petroglyphs were scratched there by those same ranchers.

You have no knowledge of any of this but through Kurt and yet you don't see mine or anyone else's name by the petroglyphs, just in another rock face. Here is another picture of a rock face we defaced, I have found them in various places around the state and they are nothing more than markes of people and their passing by a similar place over time. Go ahead and report this one too...

A couple things: 1) I'm not butt buddies with anybody but I did take those pictures with somebody who goes to church with you. 2) I have been there, know the locals, didn't see any local brands or names - just you and your boys names. 3) Your names are a couple steps from the petroglyphs and there is now a sign there, as it's on USFS land. 4) I didn't "report" anything, but was curious if you got in any trouble.

Now - back to the great elk hunting thread..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ranches in the west are a tremendous land trust for wildlife, sportsmen, and wildlife enthusiast alike. Most ranchers today are land-rich and cash-poor. Folks love to run them down but many live on million dollar plus properties and work for pennies. I don't begrudge them the bit of public grazing that is left on FS land or the vast areas of BLM that is grazed. You run these ranches out of business and the alternative is too often development, 20 acre parcels.

+1, no doubt about that last sentence.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Ranches in the west are a tremendous land trust for wildlife, sportsmen, and wildlife enthusiast alike. Most ranchers today are land-rich and cash-poor. Folks love to run them down but many live on million dollar plus properties and work for pennies. I don't begrudge them the bit of public grazing that is left on FS land or the vast areas of BLM that is grazed. You run these ranches out of business and the alternative is too often development, 20 acre parcels.

+1, no doubt about that last sentence.

100% agreement from me. When you have a conversation rather than a shouting match, the nuances come out.

But in the case of the Shoulder Season, it comes primarily from landowners wanting it all their own way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

A couple things: 1) I'm not butt buddies with anybody but I did take those pictures with somebody who goes to church with you. 2) I have been there, know the locals, didn't see any local brands or names - just you and your boys names. 3) Your names are a couple steps from the petroglyphs and there is now a sign there, as it's on USFS land. 4) I didn't "report" anything, but was curious if you got in any trouble.

Thanks for setting the record straight Greenhorn.

In my experience, whenever someone breezily throws the word "liar" around, they usually are...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience, whenever someone breezily throws the word "liar" around, they usually are...

And what about those that throw the word 'breezily'?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you pitched that one right down the middle......grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol, too true! I deserved that...

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

I never filled my elk tag and am not wanting to buy a non resident B if I don't have to.

Thanks!

why not allow everyone just to have one elk tag for any elk for 2 years ?, and any rancher who owns land that allows elk hunting on their property give them a $100.00 bonus for any non-resident who shoots an elk on his property. there are some very wealthy people that own plenty land with too many elk on their property and do not allow many people on this private land and yes disease may happen that needs to change soon too ? but resident licenses need to be half of a non-resident tag ,in general I have seen some very poor resident hunters that pick-up hunt only that needs to stop too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thanks!

why not allow everyone just to have one elk tag for any elk for 2 years ?, and any rancher who owns land that allows elk hunting on their property give them a $100.00 bonus for any non-resident who shoots an elk on his property. there are some very wealthy people that own plenty land with too many elk on their property and do not allow many people on this private land and yes disease may happen that needs to change soon too ? but resident licenses need to be half of a non-resident tag ,in general I have seen some very poor resident hunters that pick-up hunt only that needs to stop too.

So you think non-residents should get preferential treatment?

Good luck with that.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

Thanks!

Good luck with that.

> yes they should non-residents pay more and the western states make more money of us too ,even liberal Colorado does.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Thanks!

The "Wisconsin Whine" is STRONG with this one.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Thanks!

We already have a block management program where fwp pays landowners who allow hunting on their land. Works fine. As to the increase in resident licence fees.... Go jump. They don't need increased licence costs to make you feel better. I hunt idaho every year, and I pay out of state tag prices. No complaining. If you don't like the way we do things here, don't hunt here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Like I said, good luck with that. Makes a lot of sense, state agencies giving preference to non-residents.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Residents need to pay a lot more. Though I’m not sure a general MT elk or deer license are worth wiping your ass with these days.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You had me til you said “church”..... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Residents need to pay a lot more. Though I’m not sure a general MT elk or deer license are worth wiping your ass with these days.

Come hunt Wa you’ll see why I greedily pay the price..... haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Matter of fact I’ll gladly pay $10000 for a buck tag over there...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Judman
[You had me til you said “church”..... grin

Everybody knows church folk are smart, decent, and honest peoples..

Matter of fact I’ll gladly pay $10000 for a buck tag over there...

Nobody with half a firing brain cell would pay that without some prime access to private property.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never had prime access to private property, but I’m all ears if you have lead or 3...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J, access to prime private is where it's at....

I can't afford it!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Any leads sammo? Pm would be excellent

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As a aside, I love Montana, I love the people, the country, the business’, the hunting, it’s probably my favorite trip of the year, can’t wait to come back....

PS, it’s amazing the access a guy can get if you act like a white man....
[Linked Image]

2018 was a 185” of love.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

why do you say residents need to pay a lot more?...…...bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don’t like sheds either.... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a nice one!

Sorry no leads on private honey holes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

For conversation, $106 for deer and elk to combat hunt this cesspool..... as a resident

Ain’t easy havin pals.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am headed to a prime private on 19th for the shoulder hunt. I bought a trespass pass at a local charity event.
It should be an adventure. I will do my part to rectify 900% over objective.
I hunted a week during November and then several weekends. I was in elk on public, block and private each day I hunted. I hunted 3 different districts and 5 different block managements.
God help us if the nonresidents bring us more "fixes"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BobMt

Well, I guess if you think it makes sense that a MT deer or elk license is worth about the same as a six pack of beer..

Judman, nice buck. Easy enough to say that's not the average buck you'll find in MT, especially on public land these days. I hope acting like a white man keeps paying off for you. I've only once killed a mule deer in MT that I loaded whole into my truck, and never an elk.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m hoping to load a elk into my boat next year, whole.... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
I am headed to a prime private on 19th for the shoulder hunt. I bought a trespass pass at a local charity event.
I hunted a week during November and then several weekends. I was in elk on public, block and private each day I hunted. I hunted 3 different districts and 5 different block managements.

I am glad you are satisfied. I hunted 31 days this rifle season for elk in MT. All on public, except for a drive on a nice private place Saturday for a cow. I am not satisfied with the public land elk hunting. Might have to lower my bar for satisfaction I guess.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BobMt

Well, I guess if you think it makes sense that a MT deer or elk license is worth about the same as a six pack of beer..

Judman, nice buck. Easy enough to say that's not the average buck you'll find in MT, especially on public land these days. I hope acting like a white man keeps paying off for you. I've only once killed a mule deer in MT that I loaded whole into my truck, and never an elk.

I never said what I think, I asked you...…...I thought you might have a reason to say that....., as in where the increase in money would best be spent...….personally I think they should be raised quite a bit...….also think special tags should be money up front to apply......more money for block management and so on......of course most people get pissed if you bring it up...….bob

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

God help us if the nonresidents STOP bringing us more "fixe$$$".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a 50-50 chance at drawing a 632 rifle bull tag but I don't want to put my name in the hat.

Archery guys porcupine all the bulls out there.

The Breaks were discovered a few years ago but Newberg really helped to ruin it.

It is a train of KUIU warriors with new lifted Silverado's pulling new SXS's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love Montana...

And Newberg has ruined more than 1 hunt, wish more members would speak up.... hint

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a 50-50 chance at drawing a 632 rifle bull tag but I don't want to put my name in the hat.

Archery guys porcupine all the bulls out there.

The Breaks were discovered a few years ago but Newberg really helped to ruin it.

It is a train of KUIU warriors with new lifted Silverado's pulling new SXS's.

Sam I couldn’t believe the amount of side by sides headed your way as I was coming home this year.... I have several quads, a dual sport etc and have never hauled them east..... let’s hope Montana doesn’t fall prey like Idaho has..... fuuck me ....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Judman probably not going to like it but majority have Washington plates. They far exceed all others as fashion hunting warriors with fancy rigs. The breaks have been ruined for years. Ashland is next. Publicity ruins everything good. Whether TV internet FB etc.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sam in our lifetime hunting will become only for the rich. It’s headed that way in a hurry.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shootAI
Judman probably not going to like it but majority have Washington plates. They far exceed all others as fashion hunting warriors with fancy rigs. The breaks have been ruined for years. Ashland is next. Publicity ruins everything good. Whether TV internet FB etc.....

I savvy that, been a lot of changes here the last few years.... I miss the days of buying Montana tags right before the hunt.... as said before I’ll continue to feed the small towns of Montana, have a excellent time, make friends and kill bigger bucks than 95% of residents yearly... oh I hunt broadus!!!! Great town!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I need to go to pow and learn them up on buck killin....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Broadus is a great town. So far deer hunting hasn’t brought the money and attention the elk have. Eastern Montana deer hunting is probably safe for a few more years. Judman I don’t doubt for a second you kill bigger deeer and more often than most locals. They often are only willing to drive around and catch a buzz and bitch that the hunting isn’t as good as it was in the old days.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love spending $$ in Montana, if only because of the folks alone.... great people for sure

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Thanks!

Good luck with that.

> yes they should non-residents pay more and the western states make more money of us too ,even liberal Colorado does.

That's the same attitude I've experienced from every person from WI when I've met them afield, on the water, or on the ice. Essentially, "You owe me because I paid more for a license."

The US should gift WI to France, or Iran.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a lot of friends in WI, so I know there are good people there. One time I camped next to four guys from WI (strangers), who had made the trip down to hunt a very nice part of the "liberal Colorado" mountains. A part like they don't have in WI. They shot three elk, recovered two.
Gave up on one, said there was a blood trail but it was going uphill so the bull wasn't hurt bad. They left one up on the mountain,for about two days, only a mile away with four of 'em in camp. The guy who shot it dodn't pack any out, but was back down in camp, celebrating. Told me he'd just "go into town, call up an outfitter with horses, and get him out here."

I told him not to count on that, it being hunting season and outfitters being busy with their clients. He told me it'd be no problem, but he was back in a couple hours with his dick in his hand. I gave him the name of the outfitter who I knew was licensed in this particular area and luckily, the guy had some time but it took him another day to get out there. Meanwhile these four lazy F***s left the elk up on the mountain, waiting for the man with horses. I'm pretty sure they were party hunting too because all four were talking about shooting bulls but they let it slip that they only had two bull tags.

It does crack me up to hear someone from WI talk about some other place being liberal though.

I only tell this story because like you horse, I'm tired of listening to NR hunters bitch and moan. If it was up to me, there'd be a lot fewer where I hunt, they're ruining the damn place. I once had another guy from WI complain about "too many people hunting here" when he saw me come around a bend in the trail. Like I ruined his day or something. I sat down on the log next to him and told him I'd been hunting the place for years but didn't remember seeing him back in there. Of course I hadn't, it was the first time he'd hunted the area.

The same guy came stumbling into our camp after dark that night, lost. He was headed down a creek bed that was rough as a corn cob, would've taken him a loooong time to get back to the trailhead. The trail (heavily used and on every map of the area) was about 80 yards up the mountian.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I won't disparage any particular state,and don't have a general complaint about NR's.I even hunt with them.. However several years ago a group came into my camp and wanted me to pack out their camp since I had mules . I informed them that I was not an outfitter and since I would not do free, I was not permitted to accept money to do it. It got pretty heated and they left cussing "those damn locals".

This has happened quite a few times to me. Even in 2107 a young fellow from Texas wanted me to do it.Turns out his elk tag wasn't even for the unit he killed the bull in.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just to be clear, I'm not a MT resident, I live in ND. I have drawn 14 NR big-game general combo tags in MT since 2001 though. I guess I've always thought that drawing the tag didn't entitle me to anything, nor have I ever thought that my opinions or wishes are of any value to the folks who ultimately make the hunting regs in MT.

I've always considered drawing any tag or buying any license outside of my home in ND more of an invite or extension of the privilege to hunt/fish within the bounds of how the residents and their state's/province's Game and Fish, DNR, FWP, etc, etc, etc, have decided things need work. I'm just a guest and guests IMO don't get to make rules or demands. As a guest, my goal is that for the most part, you'll never even know I was there other than maybe a rib-cage and spinal column left behind somewhere that it's not a disturbance.

I guess as I see it, the only choice or voice I have as a non-resident hunter/fisherman is whether or not to buy/apply for a license.

Neither price disparity nor time constraints of travel/vacation entitle anyone to Jack-Diddly Squat IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ouch!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to see selective good ol boy " gifting" of big game to special interests.

Check out Idaho!

P.S. get u a 4 wheeler or a side by side. The only way to go on closed national forest roads!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Went back and read the OP's posts. Mostly a bunch of whining. My original response related only to the "Shoulder Season" aspect in the thread title, which I stand by. I've seen one of my favorite units losing elk dramatically - no one is quite sure exactly why - but which simultaneously had a shoulder season implemented in it. If that's not catering to landowners without adequate data (the science part), I don't know what is. Makes no sense.

I also think elk need a break. For god's sake, they get pounded all fall, deal with predators year round, then get chased by Kuiu clad warriors doing the F150 sneak in December, January, and February, just the time when they'd like to be catching their breath and surviving winter.

I'm grateful for the large landowners in the state, and understand what they're up against. But sometimes the pendulum gets swung too far in their favor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Ouch!

Crickets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I talked to the retired FWP biologist that spent decades managing the Madison-Wall Creek Wildlife Management Area out of Ennis, Montana. Specifically, we talked about grazing allotments on the National Forest and the impact on elk. It was concluded by him that the cattle grazing on the National Forest had virtually no impact on the available grass for elk forage. He also mentioned how the elk moved out of the high country due to snow and weather conditions and not because of lack of grass.

Further, he explained the reasons for shoulder seasons and how landowners were involved in that decision process by FWP. The lies that Brad and Pete want to spread is nothing more than an emotional rant because they want to force landowners to allow them to hunt on private property in the name of game management. You guys need to get more information other than Gallatin Wildlife Federation and other environmentally based organizations that want to overturn private property rights for the sake of personal selfishness.

Nothing but crickets from the gallery I am sure, as our boys that want everything for themselves, realize they are not in the majority for wanting things their way...

I've been friends with that FWP biologist for the past 40 or so years. He is definitely a science biologist and has probably forgot more about elk biology than most that post here will ever know.

He once explained to me how with proper timing, allowing a proper number of cattle to graze on the forest land in the Wall Cr Area actually benefited the grazing for the elk.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Saddlesore, I don't have a general complaint about NR hunters either, except for two things.

I don't want to hear their pissing and moaning, and I especially don't want to listen to any idiots who think NRs should get preferential treatment.

That, and CP&W issues too many tags, which is not the fault of NRs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by buffybr

He once explained to me how with proper timing, allowing a proper number of cattle to graze on the forest land in the Wall Cr Area actually benefited the grazing for the elk.

That's pretty common knowledge, and was once the role of bison. Most everything he's posted is elk 101... the point of the thread, at least from my perspective, is the validity/wisdom/science of the Shoulder Season.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shrap only hunts private and if you notice only shoots what he can drive to. His opinion and experiences really don't matter. He hunts in a vacuum.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by callnum
Shrap only hunts private and if you notice only shoots what he can drive to. His opinion and experiences really don't matter. He hunts in a vacuum.

I don't understand how living and hunting the same state your whole life and being able to cultivate relationships that allow you opportunity somehow renders your opinions and experiences invalid. There are things that can be bought and others that can only be earned. The things that must be earned seem to really make the "buyers" of the world indignant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It does crack me up to hear someone from WI talk about some other place being liberal though.

Just so we're clear here, while we've got our share of knuckleheads in WI - the OP hails from MN.
And, see my longstanding signature line concerning the OP. whistle

As well, I wholeheartedly approach my visits to other states just like this:

Originally Posted by horse1
I've always considered drawing any tag or buying any license outside of my home in ND more of an invite or extension of the privilege to hunt/fish within the bounds of how the residents and their state's/province's Game and Fish, DNR, FWP, etc, etc, etc, have decided things need work. I'm just a guest and guests IMO don't get to make rules or demands. As a guest, my goal is that for the most part, you'll never even know I was there other than maybe a rib-cage and spinal column left behind somewhere that it's not a disturbance.

I guess as I see it, the only choice or voice I have as a non-resident hunter/fisherman is whether or not to buy/apply for a license.

Neither price disparity nor time constraints of travel/vacation entitle anyone to Jack-Diddly Squat IMO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I don't understand how living and hunting the same state your whole life and being able to cultivate relationships that allow you opportunity somehow renders your opinions and experiences invalid. There are things that can be bought and others that can only be earned. The things that must be earned seem to really make the "buyers" of the world indignant.

What happens on small bits of private with very little or no hunting pressure compared to the vast amounts of public land in Montana crawling with orange vests is apples and carrots. The guys that kill elk on public land year after year are the guys with real experience. Simply put, ones hunting and ones shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't you think that gaining access to ranches is in the 'bought' category wheras pushing into remote areas of public land is more in the 'earned' category?

No gripes against any of the ways that hunters may use to get an easier hunt. That could be buying ranch access or bartering for it, hiring guides or outfitters, hunting high fence or low fence, waiting 20 years for a prime tag, convoys of machines and horses that the average guy can only dream of, depredation hunts, Ranching for Wildlife hunts, etc.
As far as I am concerned all is fair as long as you don't misrepresent it.
The trouble is that almost everyone misrepresents it.
How many times to you ask someone about a nice trophy on a wall and they almost always leave out the part about the help they had to obtain it?
Often times those I would consider in that 'bought' category are the loudest about talking themselves up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks!

Good luck with that.

That's the same attitude I've experienced from every person from WI when I've met them afield, on the water, or on the ice. Essentially, "You owe me because I paid more for a license."

So who is whining now? I could send you some Wisconsin cheese to go with that whine. LOL

Last edited by roundoak; 12/11/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SKane

Just so we're clear here, while we've got our share of knuckleheads in WI - the OP hails from MN.
And, see my longstanding signature line concerning the OP. whistle

LOL, ya got me there, thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, I have a lot of friends in WI, as well as close family. Just so we're clear, I love cheeseheads and you'd be welcome in my camp any time.

But I can't stand entitled dickheads, wherever they come from.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
SO BACK TO THE HORRIBLE SHOULDER SEASON IN Montana. that needs to change . I have seen the slob side of this and don`t tell me shoulder season people are hunting, sneakin up on a herd of elk with the pickup ,loaded rifles and then bang-bang- bang shootin continues some elk dead some limp`n away it looks terrible. its hard to believe the RMEF lets this continue to go on and the future of a good elk population will suffer from this sloppy shoulder season which should be called slaughter season. Ranchers should not get their way either they do not own Montana or the Federal land or the state land ,ya some think some old spainish treaty thing is law for the ranchers ,well the Indians think their treaty is law too, its time to just say no and protect the elk herd rather your a resident or a non-resident we all want the same thing a good elk herd for all Americans on our public lands.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SO BACK TO THE HORRIBLE SHOULDER SEASON IN Montana. that needs to change . I have seen the slob side of this and don`t tell me shoulder season people are hunting, sneakin up on a herd of elk with the pickup ,loaded rifles and then bang-bang- bang shootin continues some elk dead some limp`n away it looks terrible. its hard to believe the RMEF lets this continue to go on and the future of a good elk population will suffer from this sloppy shoulder season which should be called slaughter season. Ranchers should not get their way either they do not own Montana or the Federal land or the state land ,ya some think some old spainish treaty thing is law for the ranchers ,well the Indians think their treaty is law too, its time to just say no and protect the elk herd rather your a resident or a non-resident we all want the same thing a good elk herd for all Americans on our public lands.

really ought to quit while you are behind........bob

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

A quick question. Does your family tree ever fork?? Your endless blather i s comical. I almost feel bad for you. As to your post. True there are many poor hunters driving around blazing away. Are you going to try and regulate that? How? Secondly, the shoulder season is about killing cow elk to reduce numbers that are too high. It is not hunting, as we see it, it is population reduction. Culling by another name. There is a distinct difference. There are two choices,have the public do it which I would prefer, or have govt hunters, or private contractors do it. Next, while ranchers don't own the state of montana, for which I am greatful, they do own a fair chunk of it. That is called private property rights, or which I am a strong proponent. You can't tell people how to run their private land. It is none of your business. There are no perfect solutions,and a magic wand can't be waved to fix every thing. For now fwp is trying to use the public as a solution. Time will tell if they are able to do the job.

Last edited by atse; 12/11/18.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

A quick question. Does your family tree ever fork?? Your endless blather i s comical. I almost feel bad for you. As to your post. True there are many poor hunters driving around blazing away. Are you going to try and regulate that? How? Secondly, the shoulder season is about killing cow elk to reduce numbers that are too high. It is not hunting, as we see it, it is population reduction. Culling by another name. There is a distinct difference. There are two choices,have the public do it which I would prefer, or have govt hunters, or private contractors do it. Next, while ranchers don't own the state of montana, for which I am greatful, they do own a fair chunk of it. That is called private property rights, or which I am a strong proponent. You can't tell people how to run their private land. It is none of your business. There are no perfect solutions,and a magic wand can't be waved to fix every thing. For now fwp is trying to use the public as a solution. Time will tell if they are able to do the job.

lets get the beef cows out of the mountains for 25 years and then see if as many elk come down to feed on private property, are you or anyone else sure the elk population is to high ? maybe its the beef population is too high ? yes private property rights are important so is preserving the mountains ,have you ever been in the mountains a mile away from a road ? the land has been abused ,litter,old fences ,no grass left,trees all rub or dead from cows ,dirty muddy water,old beef mineral areas,lots of old cow manure all over and you think elk can survive the winter on what is left after too many cattle have been up there all summer long ? someday in the future this better and needs to change .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While elk don't especially like cattle, they are essentially indifferent to each other. Cattle on NFS ground, apart from beating the chit out of it, are not an issue as far as elk hunting is concerned.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Don't you think that gaining access to ranches is in the 'bought' category wheras pushing into remote areas of public land is more in the 'earned' category?

Helping with roundups, spring calf work, fall immunizations and preg-checking, and fixing fence then being allowed access isn't exactly what I'd throw into the "bought" category.

I've helped with spring planting and fall harvest from driving trucks, moving equipment, ferrying grain carts, trimming trees, and parts/tool-runner bitch for a guy I know in northern MN and have 'Carte Blanche access to land I could never hunt for any amount of $$. I'll cash that in next fall when my daughter is old enough to participate in MN's youth deer season. I know a fair few landowners who wound't grant access for any amount of $$, but, it can be earned.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by roundoak

So who is whining now? I could send you some Wisconsin cheese to go with that whine. LOL

WI residents outside the confines of WI hold THE title in world-class entitlement-bitchery.

Last edited by horse1; 12/11/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

WI residents outside the confines of WI hold THE title in world-class entitlement-bitchery.

Is that the conclusion of a professional demographic study?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Can we see the data on this? Very interesting. Might even be true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a website full of conservatives who fancy state rights, there sure is a lot of selfishness going on.

Aside from using it as a management tool (which can be argued as to being "good" or "bad"), multiple use includes livestock grazing every bit as much as recreation, wildlife habitat and whatever else.

I am constantly amazed at how pro rights people are, until it doesn't benefit THEM or what they feel is important....then it's absolute bullshït.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

I've been friends with that FWP biologist for the past 40 or so years. He is definitely a science biologist and has probably forgot more about elk biology than most that post here will ever know.

This is what I was referring to in my post. This has been well studied and documented.

I'm not a biologist but I understand that some areas have above-optimal elk numbers. For me taste, I prefer more elk! I buy B draw tags every year and don't fill them just to preclude someone else from filling them (for my wife and myself). However I'm not doing it to spite ranchers; I support their existence. I did a project in eastern MT for the BLM on lease land in 3 counties and visited almost every BLM lease to work on water features. I found that almost all of the ranchers were stunningly well informed and caring about their charge as lease holders. I also discovered that without them, there would not be nearly the amount of water available for wildlife. In eastern MT the ranchers sustain an artificially high number of wildlife as a coincidence of their grazing. Without their land (and water) maintenance there would be less wildlife. I know this discussion pertains to FS leases and while my experience with these lease holders is limited, I'm confident the FS ranchers are cut from the same cloth.

The OP seems to think he should be able to hunt around flat land ranches, where trucks are driving about, and get a wilderness experience. Again I will suggest that he puts in a bit of effort rather than coming on here and complaining. Those folks driving about through elk only serve to drive them into the mountains where they are huntable by those without permission. Worse would be sitting on a high ridge with no elk sign and watching a thousand head bedded peacefully on ranch land. I think many of us have been there. Also, the old damage hunt system was only for landowners that allowed some amount of public access--isn't the shoulder season the same? I know multiple large land holders that allow access just so that they could have damage hunt rights. I think the shoulder season further motivates ranchers to allow public access.

A few years ago there was a ballot measure to increase NR license fees. Have the OP's posts here motivated any from MT to vote differently?

Should we now explore the role that wolves have played in running elk out of the mountains and into the flats?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
For a website full of conservatives who fancy state rights, there sure is a lot of selfishness going on.

Aside from using it as a management tool (which can be argued as to being "good" or "bad"), multiple use includes livestock grazing every bit as much as recreation, wildlife habitat and whatever else.

I am constantly amazed at how pro rights people are, until it doesn't benefit THEM or what they feel is important....then it's absolute bullshït.

+1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a lot of friends in WI, so I know there are good people there. One time I camped next to four guys from WI (strangers), who had made the trip down to hunt a very nice part of the "liberal Colorado" mountains. A part like they don't have in WI. They shot three elk, recovered two.
Gave up on one, said there was a blood trail but it was going uphill so the bull wasn't hurt bad. They left one up on the mountain,for about two days, only a mile away with four of 'em in camp. The guy who shot it dodn't pack any out, but was back down in camp, celebrating. Told me he'd just "go into town, call up an outfitter with horses, and get him out here."

I told him not to count on that, it being hunting season and outfitters being busy with their clients. He told me it'd be no problem, but he was back in a couple hours with his dick in his hand. I gave him the name of the outfitter who I knew was licensed in this particular area and luckily, the guy had some time but it took him another day to get out there. Meanwhile these four lazy F***s left the elk up on the mountain, waiting for the man with horses. I'm pretty sure they were party hunting too because all four were talking about shooting bulls but they let it slip that they only had two bull tags.

I only tell this story because like you horse, I'm tired of listening to NR hunters bitch and moan. If it was up to me, there'd be a lot fewer where I hunt, they're ruining the damn place. I once had another guy from WI complain about "too many people hunting here" when he saw me come around a bend in the trail. Like I ruined his day or something. I sat down on the log next to him and told him I'd been hunting the place for years but didn't remember seeing him back in there. Of course I hadn't, it was the first time he'd hunted the area.

The same guy came stumbling into our camp after dark that night, lost. He was headed down a creek bed that was rough as a corn cob, would've taken him a loooong time to get back to the trailhead. The trail (heavily used and on every map of the area) was about 80 yards up the mountian.

I know a group from MN that come out every year and party hunt. It is a thing from that region. I don't agree with it but they are salt of the earth guys and I don't complain.

I ran into a group while bow hunting. There were no elk and I called in 4 guys from also from MN as I recall. They told me they had all tagged out but one in the past two weeks. Funny thing was all 4 had an arrow knocked as they slipped in. Hmmmm.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by atse

+1

+2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big white cowboy pushes down.

Cattle feeding up high send them into hay fields earlier, but some herds have over the years never decided to leave the buffet on the bottom. Problem in a way.......but not really.

If grazing permits reflected true market value, and predator control was not tax payer subsidized, and if the Vikings would ever win a Super Bowl perhaps we could all b happy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If grazing permits reflected true market value, and predator control was not tax payer subsidized, and if the Vikings would ever win a Super Bowl perhaps we could all b happy!

We are missing $10-15k worth of cattle that are hopefully still alive out on the BLM/CMR.

Calves are lighter, higher rate of opens, it's cheaper for a reason but still a deal.

And the Vikings looked like chit last night.

Our home county charges us $1k(?) a year for predator control. It's all private property and we'd have to put in a request which of course we never do.

Donation.

Mike, the buffalo prairie dumbfucks said they were gonna take out all the man made stock dams.

By God turn it back to how it used to be, 100% natural...

Hopefully they thought about that idea a little longer.

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I heard it was about 18 cents a pair a day?

What is it now?

What does the federal government charge for wolf control above the 18 cents a day?

I totally agree about the queens.........awful!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/11/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh they are cheap. No doubt.

I don't even know for sure, my grazing association bill wasn't detailed enough.

You pay for the remoteness in diesel fuel and trucking.

6 month lease, have fun with other 6 months.

If you're really serious about trying to make money in the cow game PM me.....lol

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 2 busy trying to choke down the purple koolaide here in Duluth Minnesota.

Gawds do they need offensive lineman! You need 2 send em some beef 2 eat. Grins

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

We are missing $10-15k worth of cattle that are hopefully still alive out on the BLM/CMR.

Calves are lighter, higher rate of opens, it's cheaper for a reason but still a deal.

Our home county charges us $1k(?) a year for predator control. It's all private property and we'd have to put in a request which of course we never do.

Donation.

Mike, the buffalo prairie dumbfucks said they were gonna take out all the man made stock dams.

We put bird ramps in water tanks. Some enviro group was trying to kick ranchers from BLM--they were defending a rare bat species that were drowning in tanks, as well as a few birds. Funny thing was that everyone who cared knew that without the stock tanks the bats likely wouldn't have been able to live there at all! What will the buffalo people do when they start causing prairie chickens, prairie dogs, and mysterious bats go regionally-extinct?

The work to kick ranchers off of public land is constant and poorly thought-out. What do these clowns think the alternative is to ranches?? One college student had been in the area studying a hawk species and was upset to find so many--he was hoping they would be endangered for the cause. Tough enough that the poor folks I met had to fight the elements, drought, and global markets but they also live in limbo that grazing leases could disappear at any time. When I asked why so few adult children worked the ranches the response was that there is not enough revenue to support their young families. Hard to watch such an incredible culture die on the vine and listen to so many liberals mindlessly cheer their demise. I guess getting to know these ranchers and learn their struggles hit a soft spot; I met two widows that were struggling to run their ranches alone so their grandchildren could someday know their lifestyle. If liberals cared to learn about the culture and people that are endangered they might just want to set up protections for them. Most of them can't seem to see the nose in front of their face, like the owner (from New Jersey) of one motel by the park in Ennis told me, "there's no culture here."

Sorry for the rant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother in law from England came to visit us in Leadore.

He told my bride ( his sister) and I there is nothing here!

Laffin

I ain't going no where!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If you're really serious about trying to make money in the cow game PM me.....lol

"I know a man who made a small fortune raising cattle.

Of course, he started out with a large fortune......"

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Donation.

We put bird ramps in water tanks. Some enviro group was trying to kick ranchers from BLM--they were defending a rare bat species that were drowning in tanks, as well as a few birds. Funny thing was that everyone who cared knew that without the stock tanks the bats likely wouldn't have been able to live there at all! What will the buffalo people do when they start causing prairie chickens, prairie dogs, and mysterious bats go regionally-extinct?

The work to kick ranchers off of public land is constant and poorly thought-out. What do these clowns think the alternative is to ranches?? One college student had been in the area studying a hawk species and was upset to find so many--he was hoping they would be endangered for the cause. Tough enough that the poor folks I met had to fight the elements, drought, and global markets but they also live in limbo that grazing leases could disappear at any time. When I asked why so few adult children worked the ranches the response was that there is not enough revenue to support their young families. Hard to watch such an incredible culture die on the vine and listen to so many liberals mindlessly cheer their demise. I guess getting to know these ranchers and learn their struggles hit a soft spot; I met two widows that were struggling to run their ranches alone so their grandchildren could someday know their lifestyle. If liberals cared to learn about the culture and people that are endangered they might just want to set up protections for them. Most of them can't seem to see the nose in front of their face, like the owner (from New Jersey) of one motel by the park in Ennis told me, "there's no culture here."

Sorry for the rant.

I've put about an 18" piece of 2x12 in my tanks. No more drown birds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What works really good is a piece of expanded metal on an angled board . Uber traction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ranch that grazed our pastures had a government tank. Ramps poured into the mold.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A bit off topic, but I spent 5 years in Arizona and hunted the northern part with my wife and her family for elk a few times. They are from there. It was amazing that large parts of northern Arizona have no surface water at all. There are huge pipelines that ranchers have put in for hundreds of miles that put water in essentially waterless areas both on private and public land. That in addition to dirt tanks that gather rain water, is why there are elk and deer in many of those areas. Historically elk didn't live there because there was no water. The ranchers did that. My father in law's wind mills water a lot of wildlife in addition to his cows.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I grew up in WI but have lived out west last 14 years. My neighbors and friends run cattle on their nearby ranches. I help out if have free time. Learned quite a bit just hanging out and working with ranchers. Have opportunities to hunt on ranches in WA, OR MT WY and MT.
Spending time with the ranchers and hiking and hunting on their property and surrounding public lands learn quickly that they are very good good stewards of conservation.

Seems to be a lot of hatred and resentment for ranchers and their lifestyle by urban dwelling dbags

Last edited by ribka; 12/12/18.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

lets get the beef cows out of the mountains for 25 years and then see if as many elk come down to feed on private property, are you or anyone else sure the elk population is to high ? maybe its the beef population is too high ? yes private property rights are important so is preserving the mountains ,have you ever been in the mountains a mile away from a road ? the land has been abused ,litter,old fences ,no grass left,trees all rub or dead from cows ,dirty muddy water,old beef mineral areas,lots of old cow manure all over and you think elk can survive the winter on what is left after too many cattle have been up there all summer long ? someday in the future this better and needs to change .

You never answered my earlier questions.

You just keep emoting like a hysteric woman.

Obviously have no knowledge of range management and no first-hand experience of how federal lands are managed nor of how leases work. You sound like a stupid leftist woman ranting and raving about how she knows the answer to the violence problem is the full-auto weapons in the hands of NRA members. You need to believe her and follow her lead, because she just knows. Kind of like you....

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Prezactly!

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last time I heard it was about 18 cents a pair a day?

What is it now?

What does the federal government charge for wolf control above the 18 cents a day?

I totally agree about the queens.........awful!

The lease fee itself is only one small part of the cost equation.

I will not bore you with all the PITA aspects of running on public lands. But suffice to say, anyone with business sense would not want to operate their businesses under the same conditions these "welfare ranchers" do.

Montana MOFO
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ribka

Seems to be a lot of hatred and resentment for ranchers and their lifestyle by urban dwelling dbags

There is just generally a lot of hatred. Goes both ways, as illustrated by your post. No one is exempt. Watch.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Many of these grazing leases go back 4-5 generations. Here in Colorado before when elk numbers tumbled to near zero the elk hunting was banned for many years. 25 elk were captured in Yellowstone and let loose in Colorado. Funny how even with the same grazing leases still around, elk have rebounded to 250,000 + in Colorado.Who would have thought?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[quote=Angus1895]

If grazing permits reflected true market value, and predator control was not tax payer subsidized, and if the Vikings would ever win a Super Bowl perhaps we could all b happy![/quot

Sam

Don’t bet on thinking longer helping. It’s a disease

True story - up here, just across the Medicine Line - when Grasslands National Park was established there were two dumbphuck employees that went about using dynamite to destroy every man made dam, spreader dam,water hole ,etc. for the same stupid idea......

Of course their employers ( government) thought it was a great idea ..

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What a clusterphucqk.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Many of these grazing leases go back 4-5 generations. Here in Colorado before when elk numbers tumbled to near zero the elk hunting was banned for many years. 25 elk were captured in Yellowstone and let loose in Colorado. Funny how even with the same grazing leases still around, elk have rebounded to 250,000 + in Colorado.Who would have thought?

yes and don`t forget every year Farmers and Ranchers got their government checks in the mail too for a lot of different things,does the working public ever get anything except more taxes ? I have never understood set aside land and the government will pay you for doing nothing ,well us regular working people want to set aside Fridays so other people can have a job too ,will the government send us a check too ? bet not ! but that rancher who gets our tax money for his share from the government says no you can`t walk across my land to the public land no way,then says those elk are eating my rancher grass give me some cheap permits and myself ,family and friends will shoot a bunch for a freezers and sure glad my cows got fat off public again ,oh what a deal . and America just turns there heads thinks that's fine poor ranchers in their new 4x4 diesel truck ! REALLY ? and that's why Farmers ,ranchers and welfare vote for a democrat / liberal free stuff !

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Why is it these bitch session only take on MT?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Hopefully it will help to slow the invasion coming into MT. I hear that ND is nice. smile

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That would be nice. We have had enough people move here who don't like where they came from and then want to make it just like where they came from. Makes no sense to me.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore

yes and don`t forget every year Farmers and Ranchers got their government checks in the mail too for a lot of different things,does the working public ever get anything except more taxes ? I have never understood set aside land and the government will pay you for doing nothing ,well us regular working people want to set aside Fridays so other people can have a job too ,will the government send us a check too ? bet not ! but that rancher who gets our tax money for his share from the government says no you can`t walk across my land to the public land no way,then says those elk are eating my rancher grass give me some cheap permits and myself ,family and friends will shoot a bunch for a freezers and sure glad my cows got fat off public again ,oh what a deal . and America just turns there heads thinks that's fine poor ranchers in their new 4x4 diesel truck ! REALLY ? and that's why Farmers ,ranchers and welfare vote for a democrat / liberal free stuff !

Did they let you out of the 3rd grade early today??

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Hopefully it will help to slow the invasion coming into MT. I hear that ND is nice. smile

OK, that does it, I'm moving up there. And I'm bringing pete53 with me...... grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

OK, that does it, I'm moving up there. And I'm bringing pete53 with me...... grin

To ND. Enjoy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nope, Montaner. Where was it you said you like to hunt again?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[quote=saddlesore]? and that's why Farmers ,ranchers and welfare vote for a democrat / liberal free stuff !

You might have missed the note, but Trump won overwhelmingly in ranch and farm regions all over the country. They love free stuff AND Trump.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
so its ok public land access is denied in all western states and the elk get slaughtered by guides and ranchers on private land legally with low priced permits,because feed for elk in the mountains is gone by fall because of beef cows . go to the county courthouse and see who gets government checks for farming and ranching you will be surprised ,I will agree its better than sending tax money to other countries. but public land access being denied ,elk shoulder seasons is wrong and will hurt all hunters in the future. > there smokepole I included all western states !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I love Montana...

And Newberg has ruined more than 1 hunt, wish more members would speak up.... hint

Dont worry, him and his gal buzz are working on fugging up Wyoming next....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
so its ok public land access is denied in all western states and the elk get slaughtered by guides and ranchers on private land legally with low priced permits,because feed for elk in the mountains is gone by fall because of beef cows . go to the county courthouse and see who gets government checks for farming and ranching you will be surprised ,I will agree its better than sending tax money to other countries. but public land access being denied ,elk shoulder seasons is wrong and will hurt all hunters in the future. > there smokepole I included all western states !

Please, tell us all how public land access is being denied?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How much stupid can you possibly emit? You have no facts to go by, you are just emotionally upset with no clear reason. The grass issue has been debunked more than once on this issue and you continue to rant.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nope, Montaner. Where was it you said you like to hunt again?

In Central ND

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

How much stupid can you possibly emit? You have no facts to go by, you are just emotionally upset with no clear reason. The grass issue has been debunked more than once on this issue and you continue to rant.

Always see plenty of grass when I go into the mtns.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pete53 eat a dick stay the [bleep] out of Montana. Your an idiot

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shootAI
Pete53 eat a dick stay the [bleep] out of Montana. Your an idiot

Haha that’s funny!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Nah, It’s just your turn today. Tomorrow they will be bashing us “Liberal’ Colorado Elk hunters.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Always see plenty of grass when I go into the mtns.

I just returned from a successful shoulder season cow elk hunt on a very large private ranch.
We did a 3/4 mile stalk on a small herd in howling wind, took a nice dry cow with two shots at about 175 yards.
Ranch is very active in taking kids and veterans on hunts.

I shot a cow the Saturday after Thanksgiving on public land. Great solo hunt that took me an hour each trip to carry out each quarter.

The grass on the mountain was thick and lush.
The federal farm bill payments are public record and easily found online.
Slob hunters don't just hunt the shoulder season. I have seen crazy hunters during the season.
And the only person I have known from Wisconsin has a very distasteful habit of telling everyone around her how Wisconsin does everything better.

How exactly is the sky falling and the end of hunting near?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

How much stupid can you possibly emit?

He's just getting warmed up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well said KRAKMT.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

How exactly is the sky falling and the end of hunting near?

Give him a day or two and he'll be over it. Until next month......

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pete53: I have Hunted the "high country" right in amongst "cows" in the fall and there have been countless times I have seen Elk feeding in the same mountain meadows as "cows", this over a period of 50+ years now!
"Cows" and Elk indeed both eat grass but I have never seen a public land leased area where "ALL" the grass was gone.
Now heres one I am sure you won't believe but I am going to relay it to you anyway.
Back around the year 2,000 I had occasion to be watching television here in SW Montana when on comes a 30 minute program describing a long term study that the U.S.F.S. and the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks made addressing the issue of Elk vs. "Cows" on publicly leased grazing lands!
The study took place over many years and took place in one huge area north of Dillon, Montana in the Mount Haggin and Fleecer Mountain areas and in between!
The study was intended to reveal any harm the "cows" feeding on leases that were in traditional Elk habitat.
The biologists would alternate closing large areas to cattle grazing and then opening them and moving the "cows" to adjoining areas!
Without exception over the course of the study the Elk would prefer to feed on the areas that had been recently cropped off by cattle!
The Elk actually followed the cattle as they were alternated in areas and fed behind them.
Back and forth they tested this situation and it kept proving up - the Elk preferred to feed on areas the "cows" had fed on!
The theory was then put forth that the "cropped" (fed on) mountain grasses grew back with MORE protein in them after being "mowed down" by the "cows"!
The premise of this theory depends on the ability of Elk to smell/sense or some how tell that the cropped grasses have more protein in them when they start growing back!
It was interesting to watch this puzzling to me program but they actually filmed the collared (tracked) Elk following the "cows" to feed.
Now you can call B.S. on this premise if you wish but before you do I advise you to contact a game biologist of the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks to see if they have views on "cows" harming Elk feeding habitat.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
close a mountain area of 50 square miles for 20 years,clean up the rancher`s cow mess`s 1st year, replant those mountains, fix the muddy streams ruined by cows then do 20 years no cows then do this study. the s cow/elk study these Montana biologist did is wrong way> do it like I said no cows for 20 years in mountains 50 sq. miles then show me the stats. your study sounds like RMEF study for the ranchers,guides and big money people with political influence to benefit themselves again,yes and they control Montana fish,game and parks who make the lease agreements in the mountains for cows and cover up any cow problems in the mountains and then give out elk control permits on private property . I got some real nice swamp land for sale too if you believe that crap .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
close a mountain area of 50 square miles for 20 years,clean up the rancher`s cow mess`s 1st year, replant those mountains, fix the muddy streams ruined by cows then do 20 years no cows then do this study. the s cow/elk study these Montana biologist did is wrong way> do it like I said no cows for 20 years in mountains 50 sq. miles then show me the stats. your study sounds like RMEF study for the ranchers,guides and big money people with political influence to benefit themselves again,yes and they control Montana fish,game and parks who make the lease agreements in the mountains for cows and cover up any cow problems in the mountains and then give out elk control permits on private property . I got some real nice swamp land for sale too if you believe that crap .

Have you ever actually been in the mountains in Montana?

There are not grazing leases and cows on every square mile in our mountains. I've lived and worked in the Montana mountains since 1975, and the only problem that I've ever seen from cows is the introduction and spread of the weed "hounds tongue".

Specifically, what plants have the cows eliminated that need to be replanted?

What streams are muddy and ruined by cows? I've enjoyed fly fishing in Montana's clear mountain streams for the last 43 years, many of those streams are in areas that have cattle leases.

What proof do you have that RMEF does studies for "ranchers, guides, and big money people"? Like I posted earlier in this thread, I've been friends with the Montana FWP biologist who was in charge with the Wall Cr Wildlife Management Area south of Ennis. His studies WERE NOT influenced by ranchers, guides or big money people.

And finally, grazing leases on National Forest lands are NOT made by Montana FWP, they are made by the US Forest Service.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

I suppose it would be too much to ask that you have any idea what you are talking about before posting?

I'm embarrassed that I've actually tried to respond reasonably in this thread rather than just calling it what it is. Forget the factual shortcomings such as the original premise that a shoulder season hunt ruined a bow hunt (different seasons), or the fact that shoulder seasons exist only on private land where you cannot apparently hunt, or ignore this new absurd idea that MT FWP regulates grazing on Federal lands. You cannot hunt and you blame it on every one else. Look no further than the mirror to find your problems. Sure, we had a tough bow season; the rut was weird and less predictable than usual. I blame the full moon that occurred at peak of rut. Yet many people still arrowed bulls while you could not. We shot elk in wilderness that is leased NF land in rifle season, but you could not. You sit and whine, blaming others for what you could not accomplish. The fact is many of us kill elk on public land every year and you cannot. If private land was made available to every goon it would get pressured just like current public land and you would not be able to kill elk there either. If elk numbers were 50% higher you probably still couldn't kill elk because 2x0 is still 0. And your failure is the root of this whole thread, right? If you had stumbled upon an unfortunate critter none of us would have been subjected to this nonsense.

By the way, why did you buy swamp land? Did you buy from ignorance, like a MT elk tag, and just assume it would work itself out?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So Montana has a shoulder season that starts August 15 th runs thru part of next year. how would you as I have to do as a bowhunter sitting in the mountains trying to tag a legal bull or cow and all`s you hear and see is a pickup or two pull up on private ground near a rancher`s alfalfa field,chasin elk with truck, people jump out start shooting their rifles at a herd of elk ,maybe kill a cow or calf ,oh by the way some locals buy more than one tag and that is legal too,have even seen a bull limbed off too. these locals call themselves`s hunters what a joke. its not a shoulder season its a slaughter season for the locals ! this is just wrong and way to early and way to many elk killed too ! but oh boy anyone with a real disability can not use a x-bow in Montana either but its ok to kill up to 3 cow elk per person in August in Montana on private land with your rifle. common sense ? really ? shame on Montana

I've seen this tactic before. Wisconsinite perch fisherpeople and pheasant hunters will do this to shortcut their scouting process in ND (probably other places too). Moan, whine, complain, tell you that everything your state's G&F dept is doing is all wrong, blah, blah, blah.

THIS IS A PLOY!!

The motivation behind this is to find someone gullible enough to "prove them wrong" and give up a honey-hole, or even better (in their eyes) take them hunting to a honey-hole AND show them how to hunt it. If successful, that's now "Their Honey-Hole" and they'll hunt it annually with a dozen or so of their closest friends, and the honey-hole giver-upper won't be invited, thanked, or acknowledged in any way.

Pete53 is looking for a giant sucker.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I suppose it would be too much to ask that you have any idea what you are talking about before posting?

LOL, if ol pete worried about stuff like that, he'd have to stop posting altogether.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Pete53: I have Hunted the "high country" right in amongst "cows" in the fall and there have been countless times I have seen Elk feeding in the same mountain meadows as "cows", this over a period of 50+ years now!
"Cows" and Elk indeed both eat grass but I have never seen a public land leased area where "ALL" the grass was gone.
Now heres one I am sure you won't believe but I am going to relay it to you anyway.
Back around the year 2,000 I had occasion to be watching television here in SW Montana when on comes a 30 minute program describing a long term study that the U.S.F.S. and the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks made addressing the issue of Elk vs. "Cows" on publicly leased grazing lands!
The study took place over many years and took place in one huge area north of Dillon, Montana in the Mount Haggin and Fleecer Mountain areas and in between!
The study was intended to reveal any harm the "cows" feeding on leases that were in traditional Elk habitat.
The biologists would alternate closing large areas to cattle grazing and then opening them and moving the "cows" to adjoining areas!
Without exception over the course of the study the Elk would prefer to feed on the areas that had been recently cropped off by cattle!
The Elk actually followed the cattle as they were alternated in areas and fed behind them.
Back and forth they tested this situation and it kept proving up - the Elk preferred to feed on areas the "cows" had fed on!
The theory was then put forth that the "cropped" (fed on) mountain grasses grew back with MORE protein in them after being "mowed down" by the "cows"!
The premise of this theory depends on the ability of Elk to smell/sense or some how tell that the cropped grasses have more protein in them when they start growing back!
It was interesting to watch this puzzling to me program but they actually filmed the collared (tracked) Elk following the "cows" to feed.
Now you can call B.S. on this premise if you wish but before you do I advise you to contact a game biologist of the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks to see if they have views on "cows" harming Elk feeding habitat.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I can't speak to elk, but we've had 4-5 year stretches with no grazing followed by 4-5 year stretches with cattle. The cycles with cattle we see more of every kind of wildlife and have less trouble with invasive plants. I think cattle help much more than they hurt provided you dont' complely overgraze and run it into the ground which very few people probably do these days.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

How much stupid can you possibly emit?

He's just getting warmed up.

You both are clairvoyant.
The stupid is strong with this one.
Pete please explain where the elk go when the snow hits?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had the experience of " mob grazing" second calf angus/sailers cross cattle.

We had a lot of lush feed new seeding ( clover, brome, orchard-grass, some Timothy ).

Them pot lickers would get their fill then start mowing down the dead crusty underbrush of unworkable ground that had had years of neglect.

U can't believe how it improved the aesthetics of the property! Properly managed they did us right proud!

Hopefully we get them back this year!

The only down side was they were crowded so tight all the bulls in the mob became tit suckers!

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/01/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most interesting observation was there was one cow that selectively harvested knapweed first!

I wanted to purchase that one!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
deleted

Last edited by DLSguide; 01/05/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If a guy gets a broadside shot you run the risk of hitting the back shoulder after going through the front shoulder

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by tedthorn

If a guy gets a broadside shot you run the risk of hitting the back shoulder after going through the front shoulder

The shoulder season is either an extended period outside the general season. Each district may have unique set of rules designed to reduce herd size and impact. Or

A season where shooting in either shoulder is required.

K

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.