-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spin caster, you mean like one of these?

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by 16bore
Johnson Century!

Ive had more than my share of fun with those too, as a kid and until several years ago used one for fishing minnows for crappie.

Add a glass rod and pile of Mepps

Hahaha, for sure that. I loved that emerald green spool cover and the drag dial on top of the gear box.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/04/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Barkoff

[Linked Image]

Hah! The "Popiels Pocket Fisherman!" , the 70's version of today's self deploying miracle garden hoses!

Pretty much useless for fishing, but excellent for reminiscing on a bygone era!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I didn’t say that, I just implied they’d beat the likes of you. I’m sure they’re out there though, look it up yourself. I’m not your mother.

I'm probably not a "serious shotgunner" as you define yourself, so the "likes of me" is pretty easy to beat.

But not with a side-by-side.

That’s not what I said, but typical for you.

Wanna bet?

My bent barrelled 870 against your side-by-side?

We have a bookie here who'll lay down odds? I want in for $500 on the dude running the bent barrel.

Oh, and do yourself and the kids a favor and go with a spinning reel. Once they figure it out they'll be set for life on using one. Later they can thank you for saving them the horror of unscrewing the top off a reel to discover their first day ending bird's nest from hell inside... wink

Last edited by kamo_gari; 05/04/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
i like fishing creeks with lightweight lures. 1/8-3/16 ounce. Too light and too short of cast for a baitcast.

To catch bream and bass. I love red bellies.

Grew up with zebco one classics. The made in USA ones.

What’s the modern day equivalent? Smooth reeling. Prolly put it on a pistol grip ugly stick.
Right now I think there's a Zebco 1, a Shakespeare and a Pflueger out in the garage. They will all suffice. I started out with a Garcia 5000 open face casting reel. One of the best ever. I used to watch Virgil Ward though and he always shilled Johnson reels. I got a Century and it was fine. I expect my cousin's still got it along with the St.Croix rod I gave him with it. I have no experience with Garcia or Daiwa spincasters. They're probably fine but all the ones I mentioned will work and won't break the bank. I honestly didn't know Johnson's were still made.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandfather bought me a Zebco 202 when I was 8. He had an original Zebco 33--50's vintage. When I grew up a bit, I bought myself a Zebco 404. They all did a good job back in my day, but then I got to be a reel snob and bought my first Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel and put all the spincasts in the closet.

About 25 years ago, I was starting to get back into fishing-- mostly due to my sons. As each came online, I bought them a Zebco 202 rig, and I bought myself an 808. I also brought out Grandpa's 33. It was still in perfect condition. There is a noticeable difference in design and execution between all these reels. Grandpa's was built like a sewing machine. The 202's I bought 25 years ago were cheap toys by comparison. Still, they all worked, and not a one of them has broken down in the interceding years.

Look, I'm now 50 years into buying my own fishing tackle. As long as you understand that the limitations of these devices, I'd not think twice about a Zebco, a Garcia, or a Johnson.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by Barkoff

[Linked Image]

Hah! The "Popiels Pocket Fisherman!" , the 70's version of today's self deploying miracle garden hoses!

Pretty much useless for fishing, but excellent for reminiscing on a bygone era!

Oh man....we had a pile of those things. I’ve got a picture somewhere of my brother sitting on a pond bank and one of those hanging off his foot..

Too friggin funny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
i like fishing creeks with lightweight lures. 1/8-3/16 ounce. Too light and too short of cast for a baitcast.

To catch bream and bass. I love red bellies.

Grew up with zebco one classics. The made in USA ones.

What’s the modern day equivalent? Smooth reeling. Prolly put it on a pistol grip ugly stick.
Right now I think there's a Zebco 1, a Shakespeare and a Pflueger out in the garage. They will all suffice. I started out with a Garcia 5000 open face casting reel. One of the best ever. I used to watch Virgil Ward though and he always shilled Johnson reels. I got a Century and it was fine. I expect my cousin's still got it along with the St.Croix rod I gave him with it. I have no experience with Garcia or Daiwa spincasters. They're probably fine but all the ones I mentioned will work and won't break the bank. I honestly didn't know Johnson's were still made.

Speaking of St Croix rods. Picked up these 2 freshwater spinning rods yesterday at BassPro to go with the 2 Pfleuger Presidents I got on sale there a few months ago.

Love St Croix rods.

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still got an old “quickfire” Shimano. Rear drags suck, no anti-reverse sucks, but I’ve used it a ton over the years.

Hell, is still $20 Berkeley Cherrywood rods.

Cheap mofo!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A pair of Pfluegers here on St Croix rods. Dads is the President. My boys is the next step up, can’t remember the name but was on sale for same price so thought I’d try it out. I’ve got a half dozen Presidents, half with 2 lb line for trout, half 6 lb line for crappie. Hard to beat for $50.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cheesy; 05/05/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why in the hell would you want one that works like an old zebco? Get a lightweight spinning reel and call it a day.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you're good with your thumb or 'all thumbs' - spin cast is the only way to go!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have a Zebco 33 Omega that is probably close to 40 years old. I would love to get it fixed and usable again. The release button won’t release the line anymore. It has sat on an Ugly Stick since the day I bought it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fishing gear goes full circle just like everything else. A 6’6” ML spinning rod, Shimano, 6# Trilene XL. Mepps, Rapala’s, & 4” Slider worms are about all I monkey with anymore.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dve-

PM me your address and I'll send you 3 differnt styles from old to new to test drive. Keep the one you like, and give the other 2 to some little kid who likes fishing more than long division.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Oh, and as for spinning reel, the comments so far have been dead on.

I like a flueger president spinning size 30 (model # 6930) . They get a lot of use. They are the toyota camry or ford ranger of reels.

Serious about the spincasters. I have gear I dont need.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I fished a lot with a nondescript Garcia Abu-Matic spinning reel. It wasn't very expensive but it worked great.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Darn. The light gold Abu is a 275 instead of a 140.
The Johnson is smallest of all but is closer to the phone camera. I hope to use it for gills this year.

[Linked Image]forensic anthropology working conditions

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Darn. The light gold Abu is a 275 instead of a 140.
The Johnson is smallest of all but is closer to the phone camera. I hope to use it for gills this year.

[Linked Image]forensic anthropology working conditions

Never seen one of those RC.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.