Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's how much fat I've lost. I'm down to a solid 180 this morning. I'm pretty sure I posted about my first 20 lbs about this time last year. I did it by cutting out ALL sugar and ALL grain and potatoes. I don't eat anything,even ketchup if it has sugar in it. One other thing hat has really helped me in the last 6 months is intermittent fasting. After working up to it I only eat in a 4-6 hour window every day. Study something called autophagy to learn the benefits.

I have also done this healthy. I work out and ride a mountain bike about 50 or more miles every week. I am off 4 pain pills a day, 3 blood pressure meds, and 4 injections every 3 months. I keep BP checked and it is better than a teenagers now.

I'll get up some before and after pictures soon but wanted to let you guys know that complete transformation is possible. I started at 50 years old in a 4XL shirt and 48-32 pants. I now wear a small shirt and 30-32 jeans. I thought life was about over and I was about wore out at 50. Now at 51 I feel better than I did at 25. 6'2 and 180lbs,not too shabby.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/02/19.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is great! You should be very proud of yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good for you!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
That's great news! Congratulations for your dedication to eating right and exercising.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stud.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Glad to hear it R H Clark !

You're right anybody can do it or try and dream up excuses for their overweight - eat less and eat right - excercise it's that simple .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
You guys wanting to change,look into the nutritarian type diet. Basically,I eat no sugar,no grain but eat as many different vegetables as close to live as possible. My diet is likely about 25% meat,fish,eggs cheese yogurt, and 75% vegetable. A lot of weeks I only eat meat once or twice,with about 3 days in between.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Congrats!

Same story here. Down 40 lbs from super bowl sunday in Feb.

Keto, and 16:8 intermittent fast. Was 248 lbs, size 40 jeans. Now in 36's and getting close to my goal weight of 198 but might just keep on going because it is such an easy and enjoyable lifestyle.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Glad to hear it R H Clark !

You're right anybody can do it or try and dream up excuses for their overweight - eat less and eat right - excercise it's that simple .

It is that simple Mike,but hard too because of the food industry.Most people actually think they are eating healthy because of low fat type labeling. The industry however mostly removed the fat and doubled the sugar to make you more addicted. Plus it's the hidden sugars,by which I mean anything that acts just like sugar on the glycemic scale.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Excellent. Are you married? If so, I’ll bet your sex life is much better, too. Women like a healthy man.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by duck911
Congrats!

Same story here. Down 40 lbs from super bowl sunday in Feb.

Keto, and 16:8 intermittent fast. Was 248 lbs, size 40 jeans. Now in 36's and getting close to my goal weight of 198 but might just keep on going because it is such an easy and enjoyable lifestyle.

Congrats man. I had no idea how much I would lose. Why would I ever go back to eating poison?

It has to be your diet,as in the way you eat definition rather than diet,as in something to start and stop as necessary.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Excellent. Are you married? If so, I’ll bet your sex life is much better, too. Women like a healthy man.

I am. Got my wife on it too. It took a while to get her on board but when I got less fat than her it was eye opening. She had always been the thin one before. She has lost 40 lbs in 6 months. So.yea,we can get in bed now without another person between us.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations! This is such positive and inspiring news!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
That's how much fat I've lost. I'm down to a solid 180 this morning. I'm pretty sure I posted about my first 20 lbs about this time last year. I did it by cutting out ALL sugar and ALL grain and potatoes. I don't eat anything,even ketchup if it has sugar in it. One other thing hat has really helped me in the last 6 months is intermittent fasting. After working up to it I only eat in a 4-6 hour window every day. Study something called autophagy to learn the benefits.

I have also done this healthy. I work out and ride a mountain bike about 50 or more miles every week. I am off 4 pain pills a day, 3 blood pressure meds, and 4 injections every 3 months. I keep BP checked and it is better than a teenagers now.

I'll get up some before and after pictures soon but wanted to let you guys know that complete transformation is possible. I started at 50 years old in a 4XL shirt and 48-32 pants. I now wear a small shirt and 30-32 jeans. I thought life was about over and I was about wore out at 50. Now at 51 I feel better than I did at 25. 6'2 and 180lbs,not too shabby.

Outstanding! Congratulations!

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I lost 140,...... a crazy ex😂

But seriously, great job.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hope you can maintain the gains you have made.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outstanding! Thanks for the updates.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats! That is quite the accomplishment!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dale06
Hope you can maintain the gains you have made.

I will cause it is no longer a diet,as in something to start and stop. People get fat and sick because of what they eat,then get healthy and think they can stay healthy going back to doing what got them sick in the first place. Without the addiction to sugar driving everything,thinking is clearer and eating is not an addictive behavior any more,but something to do to feel good.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice work. Probably feels good to feel good all the time. :-)

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice work. I bet a lot of other guys like me would like to know more about where to start, and how to go forward.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Stud.

My first thought.

Well done!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Trying to cut out sugar.
Down to 1 pop a day, 80 calories.

6 ft and 190............fully clothed.
Need to lose 10.

Messed up a foot, took forever to heal. That and bad back...........some days just walking in normal tasks a chore.

Could be heavier if I didn't adjust intake relative to expenditure.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Well done.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Nice work. I bet a lot of other guys like me would like to know more about where to start, and how to go forward.

So simple. No sugar of any kind in anything. This includes sugar and all it's aliases found in every processed food. No grain of any kind, no potatoes. In the beginning I ate all kinds of less healthy meats and more over cooked vegetables. I eat fresher and better quality now and that's about it. Just as as big and diverse of a diet as possible with the most nutritious foods you can.

I eat lots of Kale,broccoli,and coniferous vegetables as close to raw as I can. I do kale shakes with coconut milk,banana, blueberry, yogurt,strawberry, avocado,and broccoli.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
Trying to cut out sugar.
Down to 1 pop a day, 80 calories.

6 ft and 190............fully clothed.
Need to lose 10.

Messed up a foot, took forever to heal. That and bad back...........some days just walking in normal tasks a chore.

Could be heavier if I didn't adjust intake relative to expenditure.

Seriously look into intermittent fasting and autophagy. I know it's what healed my knees and back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't mean to be a downer, and I sincerely wish you all the best. But please speak with a doctor or nutritionist before you start one of these fad diets. Some of them are dangerous, and can be seriously harmful to some people.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congrats and Yes eat right, eat less and exercise. I do the gym 3-5 days a week, 3 miles on the elliptical and small amount of free weights each time, takes 40 minutes each day, i lost 30 lbs, feel like a new man.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I don't mean to be a downer, and I sincerely wish you all the best. But please speak with a doctor or nutritionist before you start one of these fad diets. Some of them are dangerous, and can be seriously harmful to some people.

I agree completely but I am not on a fad diet at all. I eat as diverse a diet as possible with the exception of sugar and grain.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
By limiting carbs and watching portion size I have been able to lose 60# and keep it off for three years now. I have been working out at the gym for 1-1.5 hrs. 3x a week for the last two years and walk a mile a day. At age 70 my a1c is 6.0 and my B/P is 114/72, balance issues are slowly resolving too. So overall I am pleased and congratulate those who have been able to achieve similar results. In addition to having been counseled by a diabetic dietician my doctor also referred me to a regular dietician, both have advised me regarding diet choices and portions. I have read Dr. Phil and Dr. Travis Stork's book and have gleaned info from both though I don't see myself following either one of their diet or exercise regimens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Three cheeres to you smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good for you. Next time you start to slip back into your prior routine and need motivation, strap 3) 50# bags of dog food on your back and remember what it was like.................

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You read the headline about intermittent fasting not being a fad diet on drudge today? Intermittent fasting and cutting out processed foodisn’t a fad, it’s pretty much common sense if you want to look/feel better.

Constantly feeding yourself processed foods and sugars throughout the day is a dangerous thing to do for years on end.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What I said was to please not start something that might cause you irreparable physical harm without consulting a medical professional. I'm surprised you'd take issue with that.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. My wife and I are doing about the same via our Dr.'s guidance. We started a couple of months ago. I am down 25 with one of two BP meds gone, she's down 20. We both have another ~25 to go. We feel great.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Daughter states that she sees several people over 50 in the emergency room every month that are dehydrated, anemic and hypoglycemic from various diets they have been on. Usually they passed out while walking , biking or driving and suffered accident injuries because of their condition.

As Rocky stated always keep the Doctor in the loop and check in frequently.

Congrats OP thats a monumental life changing accomplishment!

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man these twinkies are delicious oh congrats.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
R H Clark: I am happy for you and proud of you!
Good for you.
I am sure your life will be lengthened and enhanced - now if you could build a fire under me I could stand to loose about 50 pounds!
Again good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What I said was to please not start something that might cause you irreparable physical harm without consulting a medical professional. I'm surprised you'd take issue with that.

Good advice Rocky. If you are on potassium or calcium supplement and increase or decrease due to a radical diet change, you could cause problems. Even a credentialed nutritionist would be a great resource to consult before you start. I don't see where any doc or nutritionist would have a problem with cutting out sugar.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Outstanding. cool

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations, sir! That's awesome!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very very impressive!

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Potatoes, aww hell naw. That's a bridge too far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent dedication and discipline.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Congrats! You just stepped out of death into life. Wow.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good job, that's pretty amazing.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
150, that's a good chunk of weight!

I also have picked up on the intermittent fasting thing about 18 months ago. Started out throwing a day or two a week in to boost my weight loss. And that wasn't hard, because work often left me without eating lunch pretty often anyway. And I've never been a breakfast eater.

Was doing P90x at the time as well. That was the last thing that really worked for me to lose weight. Keeping the weight off has always been a struggle, and required extreme dedication to an exercise program, along with a good diet. And I was always in the mindset of trying to hit my "goal" quickly so I could "get back to eating normal and relax again".

I was down about 13 lbs when I was borderline heart attack. A couple ER's, a hospital, and a stent for a 80% clogged LAD later, and the game changed. I dodged a bullet (no attack or damage) but now I really had to not just lose weight, but truly eat better. Cut out as much processed crap as I could, cut carbs a good deal but I'm not watching the numbers or low-carbing it, lay off the red meat, sugars, etc. Dinner was chicken, salads, greens. Lunch was peppers, hummus, and salsa, or a chicken breast. AFter dinner go-to snack is grapes. Run through a lot of grapes! Sounds bland, but it wasn't. I was cooking up some tasty meals, and found I was not craving beef at all (outside of a good burger, but have come up with a turkey burger recipe that just rocks). Now losing the lbs wasn't about looking better, it had to be about health, and trying to reverse or at least stall the damage that had been done.

I was dropping a bit but stalled. Had read up on the intermittent fasting, and there was some mention of the thought it could help reduce arterial plaque. Small amounts, but if true, even decreasing by the tiniest fraction would mean I was not adding to my problem.

Except for the weekends, I haven't had breakfast or lunch in over 6 months. And I just don't miss it anymore. Not that it ever bothered me to skip a lunch a great deal, but now I don't even notice. And now a nice brunch is a nice treat on the weekends. Since my stall in the 230 lb area, I've dropped 30 more.

Using this I'm at my lowest weight since I was in my 20's. I hit 200 yesterday, which is 56lbs down for me from my heaviest, and down 39 since I got the stent back 10 months ago.

Now at 53 yrs, I expect to break into the 190's next week for the first time since my 20's. And it has been easy. I no longer feel the urgency to get to some goal weight. And for the first time don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything. The goal now is just to eat better, forever, and be okay with that. Or die at a young age. The choice is easy. The days of kicking the "getting healthy" can down the road are over. I want to spend my 50's, 60's, and 70's in the woods chasing critters or hunting for artifacts, not stuck in a recliner because of a screwed heart.

Cardiologist very happy with results. He asked, and I told him how I was doing it, and he expressed zero concern.

Last edited by DaveR; 08/02/19.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Inspirational to see people take control of their lives. Eating clean,fresh non processed food items is not hard . At 65 I weight what I did when I graduated high school and my muscle tone is not far off . It is a job to maintain our fitness as we age but eating right and staying active makes a big difference. Just had shoulder surgery but still doing a stationary bike 1 hr every other day. Days between 20 on the bike and a 6 mile stomp to the top of the ridge and back.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DaveR
The goal now is just to eat better, forever, and be okay with that. .

That's pretty important right there. A lot of it mental/attitude.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome news RH . . . motivating. BTW how tall are you?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dam......you lost more than I weigh.....good job and stay with it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smarquez

Good advice Rocky. If you are on potassium or calcium supplement and increase or decrease due to a radical diet change, you could cause problems. Even a credentialed nutritionist would be a great resource to consult before you start. I don't see where any doc or nutritionist would have a problem with cutting out sugar.

I've talked to licensed and credentialed nutritionists in some of the biggest medical centers in this country for the last 30 years. They are great people to have on your team if you are in a post surgical state in the ICU with major catabolism, BUT, if you are looking to do what RH has done, these are not the people. 99% of them think you should eat low fat, high carb garbage. I know cause I talk to them all the time.

They don't know any better. I don't blame them, that's what they've been taught, by the schools and grants that are funded by the sugar industry.

Drop carbs and lose weight. It's that simple.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still waiting to see the before/after pictures, 150lbs is a big difference I bet

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by DaveR
The goal now is just to eat better, forever, and be okay with that. .

That's pretty important right there. A lot of it mental/attitude.

Yep, it is such a different mindset now. I've never felt so comfortable with what I'm doing to lose weight and take into my body. It is the first time I have ever felt like I can "do this forever" and not break a sweat.

I was in a state of shock after the testing and stent, and thinking of all the things I was going to "lose" in life. Figuring I was going to be condemned to a life of bland food, veggies, salads without dressing, etc., never having a steak, burger, or salt again, and yet still worried about being able to lose weight. The doc told me this: Calm down. Don't go overboard. I want you to get to a good BMI and keep your cholesterol in check (my numbers were actually very good when this happened), but all you have to do is eat right. You don't have to cut anything completely out of your life, but all things in moderation. And you will lose the weight, and your lipid numbers will be rock solid. If you eat how I'm telling you to eat and how you must eat to prevent this from happening again, you'll be fine, and the weight will just automatically drop off as a result, and you shouldn't feel deprived. You got a second chance, and a very expensive piece of metal in your heart. Take care of it.

He was quite right.

Added bonus is my average bp has gone from 150 / 85 range down to 110 / 65 range. I'm on low dose bp meds now, and may be going to what he calls a "baby dose" of lisinopril after my follow up visit next week. Hoping to get the go ahead to hit the weights now (he nixed that for the last 10 months). Ten more pounds to go, and then I want to start adding back muscle.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations RH you sexy sonofabitch!!

I've lost 45 lbs since the end of January, pretty soon you and I are gonna be the two sexiest bastards on this site!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
You guys wanting to change,look into the nutritarian type diet. Basically,I eat no sugar,no grain but eat as many different vegetables as close to live as possible. My diet is likely about 25% meat,fish,eggs cheese yogurt, and 75% vegetable. A lot of weeks I only eat meat once or twice,with about 3 days in between.

Pinto beans with a bit of bacon?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No doctor that I've spoken to is an advocate of fasting, that's good enough for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The results speak for themselves.

150lbs lighter has to be better than whatever intermittent fasting will do to his system

-Jake

In God We Trust.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
No doctor that I've spoken to is an advocate of fasting, that's good enough for me.

Read up on Autophagy. A n oriental gentleman won the nobel peace prize in 2016 for mapping out the process. It has set the health world on it's head since then. It's very possible your doctors simply won't recommend anything they don't know much about.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Awesome news RH . . . motivating. BTW how tall are you?

I'm 6'1 30" waist 32 " inseam. I always thought I was 6'2 but must have shrank in the last 20 years.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To the OP,
Congrats on the weight loss, it is significant and took a lot of hard work. But now the real work is around the corner and that is keeping it off. Please come back in 12-24 months and tell us how you are doing.
Take care,

Please post a before and after photo.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

First, R.H, You da MAN!

Second, Rocky, respectfully, you are wrong.

The medical establishment has been woefully and delinquently misinformed about nutrition for over sixty years.

It was DOCTORS that told us to eat margarine. Doctors, told us to eat no more than an egg or two a week. Doctors told us to eat low fat, high carb diets. Doctors, and their advice, are a significant, if not majority, contributor to the obesity epidemic in this country.

Doctors are simply not competent when it comes to nutrition.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a little late, but certainly congratulate you with the rest of the posters. Happy trails ahead.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My hat is off to you. What a great thing to do for yourself. Congratulations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Potatoes, aww hell naw. That's a bridge too far.

LOL!

We all have our sacred cows..... When I started researching this low carb stuff, people were very enthusiastic about the Paleo diet. I got as far as "no dairy". Yeah, I'm Dutch, ain't no way I'm giving up cheese. Or cream. Or yoghurt. No paleo for me. Just lots of veggies, lots of fruit, lots of grass fed beef, chicken and fish.

Ain't no rocket science, but it's a bit of an adjustment. I mean, how do you make stroganoff without noodles?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats!! That takes a lot of desire and discipline. I know first hand. I lost 95 lbs in 2011. No special diet. I ate clean, whole, unprocessed foods that included carbs, dairy, and beer. Throw in some cardio, and weight training. I did restrict sugar and processed grains. I have managed to keep it off. I'm 60 and have never felt better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no bigger believer in low carb diets than me.
I started May 20.
Lost 32 lbs.
I've done this a couple times before.

Before it was because it made me look better and feel better.

It's now a longevity change.

If you want to lose weight, there is no better option.
However, few people have the mental toughness to pull through it.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 6'2 34 x 36 inseam.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, keep up thee good work.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Couldn’t be happier for you, congratulations!

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
I had full mouth dental implants done two months ago and with having to eat soft food for the first month I figured it would be a good time to try and lose some weight.
I lost 30 pounds the first month and 13 more last month.
Due to a slow healing foot injury during this same time period the weight loss was done with very little meaningful exercise. Just slowed the carb intake basically. I was amazed at how easy it was.
Still looking to drop some more

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Incredible! You're definitely an inspiration......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch

First, R.H, You da MAN!

Second, Rocky, respectfully, you are wrong.

The medical establishment has been woefully and delinquently misinformed about nutrition for over sixty years.

It was DOCTORS that told us to eat margarine. Doctors, told us to eat no more than an egg or two a week. Doctors told us to eat low fat, high carb diets. Doctors, and their advice, are a significant, if not majority, contributor to the obesity epidemic in this country.

Doctors are simply not competent when it comes to nutrition.

One , Awesome f’n accomplishment, RH Clark. Here’s to many good years of enjoying life more than you might’ve anticipated.

Two, I don’t think people who’ve at least a modicum of fricken sense need to speak with their doctor before going on a diet. Any diet - that a reasonable person might adopt. Multitudes of harm greater is going on being overweight, or obese. Have worked in multiple systems as a family medicine doctor, and the only adverse outcome i can recall is a soldier who wanted to be superman, living on creatine, who bagged his kidneys. And that took work. Could youget a little hypoglycemic accidentally at times? Well, no chiit Sherlock.

Three, the merits of R H Clark’s cited diet should be plain. Fwiw, the speech i give patients overweight and/or diabetes is the same. “Look at carbs not so much as “bad,” as that they’re pure energy. Are you plowing fields today behind a horse? No? Don’t eat that stuff; it is pure energy, and otherwise contains NOTHING you need to live. The body does not assume you will eat tomorrow (though certainly, you will). If you didn’t metabolize it today, it will be stored as fat for a tomorrow. Don’t worry. Learning to accept feeling just “a little hungry,” is neither bad nor hard to to.” Until you look like a professional cyclist or body builder, this is what it comes down to. This mantra, combined with portion moderation, not being a smart ass and living on bacon and pork rinds, and even modest exercise daily, if calories out exceed calories in, anyone will net weight loss when compounded over time. You can interject whatever latest-fad voodoo you wish, but the above will remain true. Living on close to raw vegetables and modest meat intake is not radical. It’s “normal” imo. It’s just that “normal” for the human body is not culturally normal.

Four. Don’t so much as disagree with Dutch, as wish to clarify. Recall we had a week out of the first two years dedicated to nutrition focussed education, and doubt it was worth much. The balance was learned defacto through learning biochemistry pertinent to human/mammal metabolism; probably more valuable. Regardless, if a passel of busy body researchers issue a “consensus opinion” on fat, carbs, or lucky charm marshmellows, every f’n doctor is expected to take that into account in their advice to patients. Ergo, the margarine bs. You’d hope anyone with sense would be skeptical that factory made butter could be “healthier,” but, we were told to recommend it. P.s. i preach/preached moderation actual butter over excess of hydrogenated crap.

Five. So eat well. Something mediteranean-ish, low or at least modest in carbs. Go out and play - it’s only “exercise” if you have to measure it. Do follow your doctor’s advice on bp and cholesterol, at least “close enough”. And until the better mousetrap comes out, yeah, take your ace, statin, and if warranted aspirin too.

Free psa complete. GFY!

Again, kudos to R H Clark. Dammn amazing.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good stuff sand critter

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried intermittent fasting about 2.5 years ago. I did it for about 4-5 months and lost over 40 pounds. It felt good to me to let my system kind of clean itself out catch up on things. I wasn't really set in how I did it other than I tried to go over 16 hours or more if I could without eating anything. I then would just eat like I normally did for a meal or two or sometimes even a day or two and then did it again.

I kept the weight off for over a year but then I was taking a lot of prednisone and getting depomedrol and kenalog steroid shots and just started packing the weight back on. My arthritis was so bad I couldn't make it through a half day of work without steroids so I took too many of them and my weight came back. It's been even harder to lose weight lately than ever before.

My rheumatologist said he sees this with his lupus patients that have used a lot of steroids. He said he thinks the steroids mess with the liver and effects metabolism.

He wants me to do gastric sleeve but I tell him when I get off the prednisone I think I could loose it on my own because I've lost 50 before. He says that's great but you need to loose 100 this time so get the sleeve.

Pretty inspirational to see someone that was close to my size lost 150 in a year without taking a chance on a Mexico trip for a risky operation.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bb, sounds like you have a tough row to hoe.... Good luck to you. If nothing else, dropping the empty calories from carbs will make you feel better.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I tried intermittent fasting about 2.5 years ago. I did it for about 4-5 months and lost over 40 pounds. It felt good to me to let my system kind of clean itself out catch up on things. I wasn't really set in how I did it other than I tried to go over 16 hours or more if I could without eating anything. I then would just eat like I normally did for a meal or two or sometimes even a day or two and then did it again.

I kept the weight off for over a year but then I was taking a lot of prednisone and getting depomedrol and kenalog steroid shots and just started packing the weight back on. My arthritis was so bad I couldn't make it through a half day of work without steroids so I took too many of them and my weight came back. It's been even harder to lose weight lately than ever before.

My rheumatologist said he sees this with his lupus patients that have used a lot of steroids. He said he thinks the steroids mess with the liver and effects metabolism.

He wants me to do gastric sleeve but I tell him when I get off the prednisone I think I could loose it on my own because I've lost 50 before. He says that's great but you need to loose 100 this time so get the sleeve.

Pretty inspirational to see someone that was close to my size lost 150 in a year without taking a chance on a Mexico trip for a risky operation.

Bb

Hey my friend. I was right there close to where you are. My wife was starting to talk about us both possibly needing the gastric sleeve. Surgery terrifies me though. I've seen several people have health issues after getting some type stomach restricting surgery.I was taking 4 steroid shots every 3 months just to keep going and still in so much pain I had to take 4 pain pills a day. Even with the pain meds I was miserable most of the time and only got 3-4 hours sleep every night cause I hurt too bad to stay in bed.

I've had no pain now for months for the first time in over 20 years. For you I highly recommend intermittent fasting. Which means absolutely no calories of any kind for a min of 16 hours every day. even so 16 is only a magic number if you have been in ketosis for about 3 months. If you are burning carbs it takes about 24 hours to get into Autophagy.

The diet I would recommend however is not a super low carb diet. There are things like beans in this diet that will slow down ketosis but I think it's the best diet designed to heal the body. If I were in your shoes and know what I know now, I would eat a Nutritarian diet and fast 24 hours about 2 times a week.

Here are a couple links I highly recommend watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4katnfHzXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhzV-J1h0do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EklA1iI2Iy8

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

That's impressive no doubt and congratulations for your will power and self control are in order for sure.

Metabolism is way different from person to person though. My mother-in-law and her sister are just the opposite of you. Any time I've seen them eat I'd say about 40% of their diet is dessert. In fact the sister says sugar is the reason for her longevity. She's 95 and the MIL is turning 90 this month. Both have been bean pole thin for the 40 years I've known them and their only health issue is macular degeneration. Their minds are sharp and quick. Neither of them have ever had any kind of an exercise program beyond an occasional stroll around the neighborhood and never strenuous enough to cause a bead of sweat. The sister's daughter has to work at keeping her cholesterol level UP to the normal range. She's a beanpole too who doesn't exercise.

Don't know how to explain it but these examples do exist. I acknowledge that sugar can be a demon for most people but it doesn't affect everyone like it does you. Glad you had the mental strength to overcome it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont think RHClark will have any trouble keeping the weight off because he changed the way he eats. He also has stated in the past he doesnt mind eating like he is now and has a very diverse diet. This isnt a guy who starved himself for a year just waiting to pigout on pizza and pasta.
He is also now exercising which helps. Good job and enjoy your new lease on life.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
WhiteFawn

I'll copy a post I just made on another forum here. I think it's hugely important to think about the way we have come to think of the word "HEALTHY" and what it really means.Thin doesn't necessarily mean healthy at all,and neither does long life,though it's more difficult to live a long unhealthy life,than a long healthy one. Personally,I am simply amazed at how my own perceptions of health has changed.

The most eye opening thing is how my perception of what,or who is healthy has changed. I look at pictures of friends I always thought of as thin,and I see them with an unhealthy gut. I'm not anorexic either. I have ate every time I was hungry and I've never been hungry on this diet. I simply live off about 70% raw,fresh green vegetables, and very little high quality meats like sardines, Salmon, lean beef, turkey, and some pork, I can definitely tell the difference when I eat too much meat or particularly too much pork.

Anyway,back to my health observations.

I recently heard that over 80% of Americans consider themselves healthy with 2 or more of the top 10 killer diseases. The study concluded that Americans consider their comfort as health. As long as they feel like doing what they want to do,they think they are healthy. The problem is that most of what we want to do is sit,drink beer,and watch TV.

The way I'm starting to look and feel is alien to most people. I've heard several rumors that I have cancer. My wife has been asked twice if I've become anorexic. In reality my muscle tone and skin appearance has only improved. I don't look sick.I look healthy,which I've come to realize is a completely foreign concept to most people where I live because they don't see many really healthy people. If I'm bragging at all I'm bragging on the Lord. He is the one who has guided me every step and I could preach about that for hours,but I digress.

When I started at 330lbs I thought if I could just get to 230 I would look fantastic. The thing is though that I don't have and have never really had a target weight. I just eat perfect,and get lots and lots of exercise,with good rest as well, and it all happens.

I just thought a while ago that I am now at 180 and still dropping while at the same time getting stronger.faster,and seemingly younger in every way! It really is freaking AMAZING to me! I am very close to L sits and fully suspended push ups. I mean doing pushups with nothing touching but your hands,but still in a horizontal position. I can do 25 on one toe holding about 20 lbs on that toe.

What I'm saying is that my perception of what a man is supposed to be able to do at a certain age has changed completely! I realize I've wasted 20 years and can't get them back! I'm begging you guys not to do the same thing I did ,and waste all those years!
Do some youtube searching of amazing people,and you can see what is really possible. I'm starting to believe nearly anything is possible,and more importantly I am beginning to see just how poor,sick,broken,and crippled,most us us are and we didn't even know it! I think Jesus told some folks that same thing a while back.

God bless you all!

Boarmaster
That has been the goal my friend. How well I've done it has changed as I've increased my knowledge in those areas,but that is the goal.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/03/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you RH!

It sounds like you got your life back.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't speak directly for 'Clark but I bet that my experience ditching grains last August and diving into fasting is very similar to his experience.

Being on Keto between 1998 and 2018 always left me wanting or *craving* to *eat*, even after losing 50+ several times I always gravitated back to carbs and in reality, the grains in carbs.

After ditching grains I have no urge to eat bread, potatoes, grits, chips, pasta, fries or all the other food I craved that are based on grains.

Honestly, I have no urge to eat.

I believe that being off grains, and it is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change and the first in my life made fasting very easy because I am not hungry, tired, sleepy or without energy.

I am on day two of a four day fast and have had two cups of no fat chicken broth, several cappuccinos and gallons of water, black coffee and Gatorade Zero and feel fantastic. I chose a true fast for a few days to break what may be a plateau at 222-224, I am 217 this morning and the lowest I have been since 2008.

I typically work 7am-5pm but was up yesterday at 3am for a 4am pour with about 4hrs sleep, worked until 11am, tried to sleep from 11am to 2pm but could not sleep.

I went out and rode 5 miles on the mountain bike in 30 minutes and never felt better and I was hammering on the hills.

I need to lose fat for sure, and ditching grains will get me to the best condition of my life soon enough, the goal of fasting is to reverse diabetes.

This thread is not about me and I apologize for the derail 'Clark, hopefully these examples will help others take a shot at what sure looks like the *best* way to to live.

Dave

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by smarquez

I've talked to licensed and credentialed nutritionists in some of the biggest medical centers in this country for the last 30 years. They are great people to have on your team if you are in a post surgical state in the ICU with major catabolism, BUT, if you are looking to do what RH has done, these are not the people. 99% of them think you should eat low fat, high carb garbage. I know cause I talk to them all the time.

They don't know any better. I don't blame them, that's what they've been taught, by the schools and grants that are funded by the sugar industry.

Drop carbs and lose weight. It's that simple.

TimberRunner nailed it, the medical community is being taught a food pyramid that is basically making people sick. RH Clark is not on any fad diet, he is eating lots of vegetables and meat, exactly what we are designed to eat. I know several people and family members that have started "living" this way and they have all dropped to a healthy weight, gotten off all their medications and had their blood work and vitals go to near perfect. The amount of sugar we are pumping into people in this country, mostly through processed foods, is alarming once you learn what it's effects on the human body are. Congrats to you RH Clark, and I know you won't be going back.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m eager to see the pics, you added years to your life!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I enjoy salads, carrots, green peppers, broccoli and asparagus but can't imagine 70% of my diet coming from vegetables. What vegetables are you eating and how are you getting so many into your daily routine? Also, do you take vitamin C or just eat an apple/orange every once in a while?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I enjoy salads, carrots, green peppers, broccoli and asparagus but can't imagine 70% of my diet coming from vegetables. What vegetables are you eating and how are you getting so many into your daily routine? Also, do you take vitamin C or just eat an apple/orange every once in a while?

basically every green vegetable I can find and lots of bright colored ones like peppers.

I eat lots of Kale in shakes as well as lightly cooked. Last night's supper was Kale and chard lightly cooked in coconut oil with some green onions and ground turkey that I had previously cooked in onions and garlic. Then a bit later I has a second meal of the day of lintels that I had cooked in about 50% cabbage and lintels in a crock pot with onions garlic I chopped up a bunch of fresh red onions in the beans and cabbage and chopped some fresh broclli in there for some crunch. I cooked all the good out of the cabbage in the crock pot but added in the fresh raw onions and broccoli.

As to your answer for vitamin c I would have no qualms eating an apple or an orange. I would not however drink juice of either. If however my goal was weight loss I would avoid them and no matter my goals I still think fruit should basically be treated like people ate candy treats back in the 40's, only occasionally.

You don't have to eat oranges

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/top-10-low-carb-and-keto-sources-of-vitamin-c

I eat all these.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RH's losing 150 lbs weight loss without starvation, without the need for body altering gastric bypass surgery, and while eating vegetables, meats, healthy grains, etc., speaks for itself. Someone would have to explain how not eating for 18-20 hours is damaging our organs or bodies anymore than not eating for the 12 to 14 hours between dinner and breakfast is. And certainly explain how it is more harmful than being 50lbs, 100lbs, or 150lbs overweight. That is the crap that is almost certain to kill most carrying that kind of weight in their 40's and 50's...or 60's if one is lucky. And that is about what it amounts to. An extra 6 hours a day of not eating. Because I no longer eat dinner at 6pm and stop eating for the night until I eat the next morning or lunch. I now eat dinner. Then I snack on some almonds or crackers, or peppers, hummus and salsa. Then later a bowl of grapes or fruit. All spaced out over about 4 hours.

Somehow I think the human body is resilient enough to be able to withstand an extra 6 hours a day without eating, and without destroying itself. Especially when there is a large amount of reserves for it to function off of. Now if you didn't have those reserves (fat), then you'd likely certainly at some point do some damage when body fat percentage dropped too low. But if you ate enough daily calories to maintain weight during that window, I bet you'd be just fine. But that could be a feat, taking in 2500 calories of good (not junk) food in 4 hours.

The thing I've found with this 18 or so hour daily fasting, is I want for nothing. Sure, a BLT at lunch would be great. But there is a big difference between the momentary discomfort of not eating lunch but then being able to completely satisfy any hunger or cravings I have at dinner, versus month after month after month of missing "something" all the time. If you follow some of the "wisdom" such as "eat small meals every 3 hours" or that kind of nonsense, my meals are small and I miss ever feeling satisfied. If I'm cutting out carbs, I miss being able to snack on a damn cracker, having something sweet, or have some potatoes with my breakfast every once in a while. While Atkins worked for me for years, I found if I even splurged once a week with a moderate amount of carbs at a sitting (we're talking 40-60 carbs, not wolfing down a bag of chips), my weight loss was stalled for a week. And I was always looking forward to getting to goal weight, so I could start eating things I was missing again. Inevitably, the weight would come back. Because I was always waiting for that goal where I could "eat normal" again.

The discontent that comes with continued, long term depriving of cravings and not feeling satisfied has always been an issue for me, no matter what diet I did, and always led me back to over indulgence in whatever I'd been denying myself, and weight gain after a loss. Until now. And it won't be long before I have to start working back in some small lunches in order to maintain weight and fuel some muscle building. I'm but 8lbs off what I consider my ideal weight. Last week I got a comment that I was too thin and needed to put some weight on, and another person I hadn't seen in over a year said "wow, you are thin, you look great.....wait, you aren't sick are you?" I asked why they thought that. Well, in over 20 years of working with these people, they'd never seen me this thin, and some know I was out for a week with the heart issue. They are stumped and some are concerned by the weight loss. I'm not. I've lost 50 lbs in the last 18 months. An average of 3/4 lb a week, a perfectly healthy and sustainable rate of loss. The weight loss appears drastic and sudden because I haven't seen many of these people in a year. But it has been far from drastic or sudden.

I now live by what my cardiologist told me 10 months ago. You don't have to deny yourself much of anything, but everything in moderation.

If intermittent fasting is bad for me, so be it. Everything else I've tried in over 30 years had me on a table at 52 yrs old (same age my grandfather died from a massive heart attack) with a dangerously clogged widowmaker artery last year. If I die, it won't be because I am fat anymore, or constantly in a cycle where I'm losing and gaining. In over 30 years of always feeling overweight and like I needed to at least "lose a few", everything I've tried always left me wanting, and led me back to a bad place. I simply am not left wanting anymore, so I feel this will stick for good. And it feels nearly effortless.

Last edited by DaveR; 08/03/19.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
An amazing story, and a very timely one. I started the journey almost a month ago, and still trying to figure it out. Lot's of good information here. This morning I was at 339.8 which is a milestone for me and don't remember the last time I was that low. One of my problems that I am dealing with is I am probably one of the pickiest eaters on the fire. It not only doesn't taste good, it doesn't smell good and I can't eat it. I am using protein drink in place of heavy meats. The heavy meats, beef, even pork and some turkey, leaves me feeling bloated. I book marked this, because I know I will need to go back and read it every so often and get the encouragement and motivation that is given.

For those who have lost a tremendous amount weight, how have you dealt with the lose skin? 150 pounds in a year is a dramatic weight loss. I hope I can do the same thing, but I also have seen people do that and know what they go through with the hanging skin. Can I get some input from someone who has dealt with it?

Thanks for the education.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thats awesome! I personally avoid sugars and certain carbs but I mainly do a genetic based diet and feel great on it. I knew certain foods made me sluggish and once I made those changes it was an immediate feeling of well being. Keep up the good work!

MAGA! This is the way!
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Jim
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
RH Clark, Thanks for the links, I watched all 3. I started feeling optimistic and finding some hope again that I could do a lot on my own despite my health and mobility issues.

How would you suggest getting started? Kind of wanting to ease into it at first and implement things as I go. If you were to advise a few things to just start with what would they be? I'm currently in the worst shape of my life, completely overwhelmed with arthritis pain, and physically limited. I get very little sleep due to pain. I had to stop my humira lately due to some side effects and everything is hitting with a vengeance. Plus I'm taking too much prednisone again

Thanks, your story has given me much needed hope at a time when my Drs are only recommending gastric sleeve and more meds.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/03/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
An amazing story, and a very timely one. I started the journey almost a month ago, and still trying to figure it out. Lot's of good information here. This morning I was at 339.8 which is a milestone for me and don't remember the last time I was that low. One of my problems that I am dealing with is I am probably one of the pickiest eaters on the fire. It not only doesn't taste good, it doesn't smell good and I can't eat it. I am using protein drink in place of heavy meats. The heavy meats, beef, even pork and some turkey, leaves me feeling bloated. I book marked this, because I know I will need to go back and read it every so often and get the encouragement and motivation that is given.

For those who have lost a tremendous amount weight, how have you dealt with the lose skin? 150 pounds in a year is a dramatic weight loss. I hope I can do the same thing, but I also have seen people do that and know what they go through with the hanging skin. Can I get some input from someone who has dealt with it?

Thanks for the education.

I started learning about autophagy when I was looking for solutions to loose skin. I've been doing it about 6 months,that is trying to stay in that state of autophagy some every day. I have some lose skin but nothing like what I've seen on other people who have lost this amount. I am also confident that my body will eat all that skin given the correct motivation. I won't lose muscle either since our bodies are smart enough to burn excess skin before valuable muscle.

It's a lot but educate yourself as much as possible on health and nutrition.I mean today's knowledge . Not the stupid government's recommendations,or criminal recommendations would be more accurate when you learn the truth. Learn what is working well for other people and use good sense. You might lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies for 3 months if your caloric intake was less on Twinkies. Problem is that in 3 months you would be built out of Twinkies,and how healthy can that really be? Use good sense but experiment with what works best for you as well. You may not be able to eat dairy or dairy might work fine for your body. I'm talking specifically about foods that are known to be possible problematic,not whether anyone should have some of the poison called sugar..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Congratulations, you're hard work and sacrifice has paid off.... stud.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I weighed myself today at 226.
I'm 6"2
I was 260 on May 20th.

Low carb is the way to go....

Proud NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The loose skin thing is interesting.

I think a lot of people having surgery for weight loss suffer this, but those who do it through nutrition have a balanced shift.

This story of this Scotsman who didn't eat for over a year is very interesting. He apparently had no skin correction, I'm not sure that was even an option in the late 60's.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-true-story-of-a-man-who-survived-without-any-food-for-382-days

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great job Mr. Clark! I started my low carb lifestyle in 2012 at 292lbs. I now am a solid 228lbs. I feel so much better that it's amazing. never starved myself ever. No pasta, bread, or potatoes. 5 days a week in the gym. I'm 59 and feel better than I did when I was 40.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Here's the thing guys. Some dietary things are a given. For instance,any diet that includes sugar would just be stupid when you educate yourself about what sugar really is and what it does. There's good information about grain and diary and how it effects some people. I quit the grains for max weight loss and super low inflammation because of the back and knee issues I had,

All during this journey I have added and subtracted things from my diet. You have to only add one or take away one thing for about 3 days to see if you have a food allergy or intolerance in some way to that one food. An example is that I cut out milk and tomatoes because milk made me bloated and sluggish and tomatoes caused arthritis pain in my hands and some in my knees. In that way,you have to experiment with even healthy considered foods.

At first I was all max weight loss which may not be the best way to go but my best advice is to listen to your body the whole time. When you start to feel like exercise,you have to push yourself some to get any gain but don't try to kill your old fat self. At least that has been my approach. I do a lot and push myself a little more all the time. I did somewhere close to 20 miles on the mountain bike a few days ago back in the Forrest on a closed dirt road. When I started though ,I stopped before I would pass out or that vein in my neck told me to,LOL.

Point being,listen to your body and keep it monitored.I can't stress that enough. KEEP IT MONITORED, and I mean every aspect. If you aren't crapping enough get a bunch of raw kale and spinach in there. I weigh every day cause I want to know how different foods and amounts effect my progress in every way. A for instance there is that I am now eating a lot more beans. They give me good energy and at my fat content now the extra carbs are fine if I eat them before a ride.

I have kept my blood pressure and all my vitals monitored very closely.basically because I quit 3 blood pressure meds one at a time. Just know that it's a long haul. If you COMPLETELY STOP ALL SUGAR AND ALL GRAIN AND ALL POTATOES< you will lose weight. The first month was slow for me but after 3 months I got a boost of energy from my cells changing to fat burners and I lost the cravings for food. Those first 3 months are everything.

I said to myself that I could stand on my head in hell for 3 months. I was pretty much in hell anyway with constant pain that I couldn't get away from. I mean I'm tough but damn. I know how you feel guys. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People fail at low carb diets because their willpower fails and they cheat with occasional carbs thinking that just one little cheat isn't going to hurt, but it keeps their body from ever going into ketosis, killing the entire theory of the low carb diet.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The exercise component of weight loss tends to be overlooked. Note that the OP talked about it up front. In 2008, my wife lost 90+pounds in a year. Working out, walking and weights helped her a lot. She is still a size 4, and still a gym rat.
Me? Not so much. 😜

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree Mannlicher, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine 5 days a week plus a half hour of weight training. It makes a big difference. But, you can't overcome a crappy diet by exercising. I'm also a type II diabetic. A1C is now between 5.9 and 6.4 with good cholesterol numbers. This is going to be my diet/lifestyle until I'm in the grave God willing.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The exercise component of weight loss tends to be overlooked. Note that the OP talked about it up front. In 2008, my wife lost 90+pounds in a year. Working out, walking and weights helped her a lot. She is still a size 4, and still a gym rat.
Me? Not so much. 😜

I would agree with you but I think it's important to note that exercise,at least in the way healthy people think of exercise, is nearly too much when you are 100 lbs or more over weight. If I got an obese person to go all out and try to do what I do now,they would likely see it as too much and too hard,especially when they couldn't move the next day.

I lost about 60 lbs before I started exercising in any significant way. At the very first I just basically walked and wouldn't sit down to watch TV at all. I tried to stay busy with little projects around the house and that was my exercise when I first started.

The first time I got on my elliptical,I couldn't even stay on it a full minuet without being out of breath. Now my time is only limited by my schedule. I usually ride it 45 minuets to an hour,but I've pretty much given it up for the mountain bike now. The mountain bike does my body better and is 100 times more fun. I think of it as play exercise.

The first time I got in the floor and tried leg raises,I managed 3. My last milestone was 250 in sets of 50.

All i want to say really is don't let the exercise side of the equation get you down too much if your age or health doesn't allow very much. All your body needs in the way of exercise is to do more than it's accustomed to doing. How much that is will just depend on your fitness level. If you can't wall a mile don't fret it and get disgusted with yourself and eat a candy bar to fell better. Just walk 100 yards if that's all you can manage,rest 24 hours and walk 150 yards the next time. If 3 leg raises are all you can do,just do them wait one day and try for 4 the next time.

Nutrition,exercise and rest are all the body needs to perform well. Every time you exercise just try to do a little more than last time. Give those muscles 24 hours ,or maybe more if you are older, to recover. Give them the nutrition to grow,and then do a little more than you did the last work out. Obviously the levels of what you are doing will increase as you get more and more fit. That's one reason I like the bike so much now. 3 hours on the mountain bike is much more fun than trying to do different cardio,arm and leg work outs for 3 hours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the thing guys. Some dietary things are a given. For instance,any diet that includes sugar would just be stupid when you educate yourself about what sugar really is and what it does. There's good information about grain and diary and how it effects some people. I quit the grains for max weight loss and super low inflammation because of the back and knee issues I had,

All during this journey I have added and subtracted things from my diet. You have to only add one or take away one thing for about 3 days to see if you have a food allergy or intolerance in some way to that one food. An example is that I cut out milk and tomatoes because milk made me bloated and sluggish and tomatoes caused arthritis pain in my hands and some in my knees. In that way,you have to experiment with even healthy considered foods..

I'm at this stage now, and I'm struggling with it. There is a bewildering array of foods that "could" be inflammatory. Nightshades, tomatoes, dairy, eggs, wheat, the list is huge. I've been disappointed that my inflammation issues (tendonitis, mostly) that went away at first are coming back. Part of that is being a stubborn old farmer and still working 10-12 hrs of physical days, but part of it is that I'm eating something that's not agreeing with me. Unfortunately, I still need over 6,000 calories a day to keep up with my burn rate, and I'm having a hard time cutting anything without running into a calorie deficit. I just need to find the patience to be able to put my finger on the culprit.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A weight loss program needs balance and thought. Exercise, your diet, lifestyle change and will power all are important. One component may be needed more than another, depending on many variables. We are all different, and approach the task with different health issues, different metabolism, and different goals. And different reasons. One size does not fit all.
I am comfortable and happy with my 230 pounds on a 6’2” frame.

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dutch. If you really want to isolate a food,only eat meat and water for a week. Then add in one different food,wait 3 days of eating just meat and that one food and see how it does you. Some food allergies take 72 hours to manifest and it is extremely difficult to isolate if you have a very diverse diet.

One word of caution on meat only. Get plenty of fat with it and you might want to take a fiber drink with it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Me? Not so much. 😜

I would agree with you but I think it's important to note that exercise,at least in the way healthy people think of exercise, is nearly too much when you are 100 lbs or more over weight. If I got an obese person to go all out and try to do what I do now,they would likely see it as too much and too hard,especially when they couldn't move the next day.

I lost about 60 lbs before I started exercising in any significant way. At the very first I just basically walked and wouldn't sit down to watch TV at all. I tried to stay busy with little projects around the house and that was my exercise when I first started.

The first time I got on my elliptical,I couldn't even stay on it a full minuet without being out of breath. Now my time is only limited by my schedule. I usually ride it 45 minuets to an hour,but I've pretty much given it up for the mountain bike now. The mountain bike does my body better and is 100 times more fun. I think of it as play exercise.

The first time I got in the floor and tried leg raises,I managed 3. My last milestone was 250 in sets of 50.

All i want to say really is don't let the exercise side of the equation get you down too much if your age or health doesn't allow very much. All your body needs in the way of exercise is to do more than it's accustomed to doing. How much that is will just depend on your fitness level. If you can't wall a mile don't fret it and get disgusted with yourself and eat a candy bar to fell better. Just walk 100 yards if that's all you can manage,rest 24 hours and walk 150 yards the next time. If 3 leg raises are all you can do,just do them wait one day and try for 4 the next time.

Nutrition,exercise and rest are all the body needs to perform well. Every time you exercise just try to do a little more than last time. Give those muscles 24 hours ,or maybe more if you are older, to recover. Give them the nutrition to grow,and then do a little more than you did the last work out. Obviously the levels of what you are doing will increase as you get more and more fit. That's one reason I like the bike so much now. 3 hours on the mountain bike is much more fun than trying to do different cardio,arm and leg work outs for 3 hours.

It's tough enough to stick to a diet that's a major change from what a person is used to. Adding exercise at the same time (that a person's not used to) can lead to more hunger....and the person feeling more tired....than the diet alone. I think both are important but making a major change of both at the same time may be the reason a lot of people drop out of their plan. I like the way R H did it with the focus on diet first, then after seeing positive results and getting used to the change, adding in the exercise component. I think it both can be done at the same time but it may be tougher for some people to stick to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dutch. If you really want to isolate a food,only eat meat and water for a week. Then add in one different food,wait 3 days of eating just meat and that one food and see how it does you. Some food allergies take 72 hours to manifest and it is extremely difficult to isolate if you have a very diverse diet.

One word of caution on meat only. Get plenty of fat with it and you might want to take a fiber drink with it.

I get that, but inflammation is one of those slow responders, and it just takes quite a bit of time to get it figured out. Took me 53 years to figure out wheat gives me the runs.... lol!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I get that, but inflammation is one of those slow responders, and it just takes quite a bit of time to get it figured out. Took me 53 years to figure out wheat gives me the runs.... lol!

Inflamation in general is also caused by insulin,and particularly when insulin is released many times during the day. Frequent meals would be an example and particularly high carb and high sugar frequent meals and snacks. These constantly spike blood sugar and cause insulin to be released. insulin is the fat storage hormone. Too much insulin and the body will develop resistance which can wind up as metabolic syndrome or diabetes. Even if you don't get those constant insulin causes inflammation,which is the root cause of the top killers in the US.

You can stop this cycle by training yourself to only eat during a 4-6 hour window every day with absolutely no calories in at all otherwise. It's not that difficult when you start controlling the constant sugar spikes and low sugar drops that high carb and high sugar diets cause.That is the reason people get weak and hungry so often. It's because of the up and down spikes. I rode over 10 miles the other day after working in the yard all day. the ride was about 4 hours long and I broke a 22 hour fast at the half way mark with a can of sardines. I had phenomenal energy all day and all that ride and only ate a salad when I got home. I am also lifting more repetitions on heavier weights while eating like this and getting thinner and weighing less all the time. It's kind of freaking amazing but it is nothing but doing what you are supposed to do rather than what is easy, and feels good,and that's it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone else think we need to have this made into a sticky...or...a diet and exercise forum? Old, fat guys like me need some motivation to continue with a weight loss and exercise program.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So glad you did this! Post the fuggin before and after already!,,,

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This definitely needs to be a sticky!!! Anyone have any pull with Rick?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[

Inflamation in general is also caused by insulin,and particularly when insulin is released many times during the day. Frequent meals would be an example and particularly high carb and high sugar frequent meals and snacks. These constantly spike blood sugar and cause insulin to be released. insulin is the fat storage hormone. Too much insulin and the body will develop resistance which can wind up as metabolic syndrome or diabetes. Even if you don't get those constant insulin causes inflammation,which is the root cause of the top killers in the US.

When I first went low carb six months ago, the inflammation went down, as expected. I'm not extreme low carb (keto) anymore, as I've added things like zucchini, beans, and some fruit, but compared to the SAD, I'm extremely low carb. I have never eaten any significant amount of simple sugars (no soda, no sugar, no pies, cakes or any processed foods). When I check out of the grocery store, the only thing with a brand name on it is my yoghurt and herbal tea.

Something is getting me, and I'm starting to suspect it may be the eggs.

Lord, please don't let it be the cheese.... wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Toddly
So glad you did this! Post the fuggin before and after already!,,,

I wish I could buddy. I lost all my old stuff from photobucket and don't have anything on the computer. I don't own a cell. My daughter was supposed to load some pictures for me today but cut out early one me, Soon I promise. I'll update the title if it will let me as soon as I post the before and after.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[

When I first went low carb six months ago, the inflammation went down, as expected. I'm not extreme low carb (keto) anymore, as I've added things like zucchini, beans, and some fruit, but compared to the SAD, I'm extremely low carb. I have never eaten any significant amount of simple sugars (no soda, no sugar, no pies, cakes or any processed foods). When I check out of the grocery store, the only thing with a brand name on it is my yoghurt and herbal tea.

Something is getting me, and I'm starting to suspect it may be the eggs.

Lord, please don't let it be the cheese.... wink

I don't really do keto though most days I am just as low carb. i do eat beans because of the health benefits and some fruits for the same reasons. the main thing that I think helps me is the 16- 20 hour fast every day. That keeps insulin out of my system all those hours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got on the scale today...Im at 224...down from 260 on May 22.
I'm feeling great.

Proud NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Reducing diet influenced inflammation doesn't equate to being pain free. Old injuries, hard exercise etc will cause us old fuggers to ache a bit. Reducing the burden that your old carcass has to haul around and increasing your strength and flexibility is the goal, not just aesthetics.

Anyone that can do enough work to burn 6000 calories a day will probably feel a little soreness and fatiguegrin that is getting after it.

I have found that going from 1-2 drinks/beers/day to the same /week has had major benefits, I definitely sleep better. The effort is definitely worth it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of you fellas try the “8 hour diet”? You basically fast for 16 hours and only eat during an 8 hour period.

It’s rather interesting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Good for you...it's probably like you dropped and anvil out of your pocket...

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Any of you fellas try the “8 hour diet”? You basically fast for 16 hours and only eat during an 8 hour period.

It’s rather interesting.

Never heard of it...I wonder if 'clark knows about it crazy

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congratulations, quite an accomplishment !!
You should be very proud.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,431
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.