Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I just ordered a reproduction of the belt, holster, and mag pouch to go with it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

That is a young E-8. Looks like 4th ID.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 02/18/20.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500

You men going to run 230 ball in those pistols? and how does it compare to the Springfield A1's? I had one of those back in the day, it ran well with ball and 230gr xtp's powered by AA#7.

Nothing wrong with 230 grain ball. The .45 ACP and .45 Colt reputation for stopping power was earned when military loads were always round nose. Reports from the Philippines were that the .45 Colt revolvers were stopping the drugged up Moro natives effectively, before they could hack US troops down with machetes, after the .38 Long Colt had repeatedly failed miserably in this regard, prompting the shipment of mothballed .45 revolvers (both Single Action Army and the newly adopted - at that time - Colt double action revolvers).

PS I had a Springfield A1, and it didn't compare in authenticity to the Tisas A1. It didn't quite scratch that itch for a truly authentic reproduction of a USGI WWII issue 1911A1. The finish was wrong, for one thing. Then there was the thumb safety, which didn't match that on the USGI in the least. It was more like the commercial Colts from the 1960s and onward. The hammer didn't seem right in appearance, either. Nor the trigger.

10-4, of course 230 ball is fine, just wondering if any were going to try hp's, I had a Mil-Spec Springfield around 1995 I think, didn't have or know of anything at the time to compare it too for authenticity.

Plan to try some HP’s in mine. And maybe some Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads. May have to shoot a hog or two with it. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/18/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Now I just need me one of those World War II issue tanker holster’s to go with it. 🤠

Like this?
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RGK
Now I just need me one of those World War II issue tanker holster’s to go with it. 🤠

Like this?
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep. That’s the one!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by g5m

Cool. Might have to get one.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've got a Springfield Mil-Spec, too. That was their first attempt at roughly approximating the USGI 1911A1, while adding some modern features that folks liked, such as better sights, lowered ejection port, more modern style thumb safety, absence of the lanyard ring on the MSH, etc..

Good guns (mine's been completely reliable, thus far), but generally not considered reproductions of the WWII USGI 1911A1. Mine's in stainless, and has night sights installed. That's all it needs to be a great general purpose 1911.

PS So far, I haven't tried JHP in my Tisas 1911A1.

10-4, Thanks, iirc back in the day, the 230 xtp's ran so well in my Mil-Spec because the hp hole was so small, don't know it they're still that way today, haven't shot them in years, that said, I do shoot the 200gr xtp's in a bob-tail Commander, they run a 1K fps accurate.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

You men going to run 230 ball in those pistols? and how does it compare to the Springfield A1's? I had one of those back in the day, it ran well with ball and 230gr xtp's powered by AA#7.

Nothing wrong with 230 grain ball. The .45 ACP and .45 Colt reputation for stopping power was earned when military loads were always round nose. Reports from the Philippines were that the .45 Colt revolvers were stopping the drugged up Moro natives effectively, before they could hack US troops down with machetes, after the .38 Long Colt had repeatedly failed miserably in this regard, prompting the shipment of mothballed .45 revolvers (both Single Action Army and the newly adopted - at that time - Colt double action revolvers).

PS I had a Springfield A1, and it didn't compare in authenticity to the Tisas A1. It didn't quite scratch that itch for a truly authentic reproduction of a USGI WWII issue 1911A1. The finish was wrong, for one thing. Then there was the thumb safety, which didn't match that on the USGI in the least. It was more like the commercial Colts from the 1960s and onward. The hammer didn't seem right in appearance, either. Nor the trigger.

10-4, of course 230 ball is fine, just wondering if any were going to try hp's, I had a Mil-Spec Springfield around 1995 I think, didn't have or know of anything at the time to compare it too for authenticity.

Plan to try some HP’s in mine. And maybe some Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads. May have to shoot a hog or two with it. 🤠

Roger that CHLI, the 200gr xtp's have skinny hp holes, they may fly, and bet they'll fly through a pig too! ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Listed as currently out of stock.

Here you go. Lots of them out there for the same price. Link

The ones in your link went fairly quickly, they're sold out now.

I see them on other sites for that basic $339.99 plus shipping but that $299 was a good deal, hopefully they might repeat it when/if they get more in.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

10-4, Thanks, iirc back in the day, the 230 xtp's ran so well in my Mil-Spec because the hp hole was so small, don't know it they're still that way today, haven't shot them in years, that said, I do shoot the 200gr xtp's in a bob-tail Commander, they run a 1K fps accurate.

Yeah, lots of 230 grain JHP loads closely match the shape of the FMJ. I wouldn’t be surprised if most popular 230 grain JHP loads worked just fine in it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by longarm
Listed as currently out of stock.

Here you go. Lots of them out there for the same price. Link

The ones in your link went fairly quickly, they're sold out now.

I see them on other sites for that basic $339.99 plus shipping but that $299 was a good deal, hopefully they might repeat it when/if they get more in.

Sorry you missed it. Great deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh well, tomorrow's another day. wink I put my address on their email notification list to let me know when they come back in stock.

I wanted to see one in person and by chance the local store had one in stock. Only handled it for about 5 minutes but it definitely gives the impression of a quality product. The parkerized finish was very uniform and well done. Trigger pull to my semi-educated finger seemed about 5-6 pounds but it broke cleanly. Slide and controls were very tight, it definitely didn't rattle like the one I qualified with in the early 70's. With your favorable review and all the other similar ones that are coming in this really is a bargain buy, even at the standard price.

Only con for me is the right handed safety but I've put up with that on most pistols my entire life so no biggie. Fortunately, my need to take out an MG-42 crew or Japanese infiltrator in my foxhole before they get me are fairly slim these days... wink

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I suspect you will be happy with it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They look like a quality piece, but when I look at them, I think back on how much money we used to spent to UPgrade the GI sights, add a beavertail and Commander hammer so they wouldn't eat our hands, etc., and I think, why the Hell would I want to go bassackwards and get into all that again?
Nostalgia can be a wonderful thing, but I think I like the newer renditions better. I LIKE not having my hands eaten, I LIKE having sights I can see, and I shoot a lot better with a long trigger over a short one. I can live with the tab safety on GI guns, but the bigger safeties on the new guns ARE easier to get to. Properly set up, they won't get knocked "off" any easier than the GI tab. I also like NOT having my brass dented up when it gets ejected.

YMMV, but I've been there, done that, got the scars to prove it, and don't want to go there again.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
They look like a quality piece, but when I look at them, I think back on how much money we used to spent to UPgrade the GI sights, add a beavertail and Commander hammer so they wouldn't eat our hands, etc., and I think, why the Hell would I want to go bassackwards and get into all that again?
Nostalgia can be a wonderful thing, but I think I like the newer renditions better. I LIKE not having my hands eaten, I LIKE having sights I can see, and I shoot a lot better with a long trigger over a short one. I can live with the tab safety on GI guns, but the bigger safeties on the new guns ARE easier to get to. Properly set up, they won't get knocked "off" any easier than the GI tab. I also like NOT having my brass dented up when it gets ejected.

YMMV, but I've been there, done that, got the scars to prove it, and don't want to go there again.

Well said.
Bob

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allow me to present an alternate viewpoint.

As a practical shooter, certainly the 1911 design has been greatly evolved from what our troops carried.

But one could ask the same questions about anyone shooting a SA revolver, and especially an original or clone of a Colt SAA, and I would include the Ruger Vaquero among those. I'm not talking about a Freedom Arms or Super Blackhawk or something with target quality sights and strong enough to shoot small howitzer rounds, those are evolved versions of the breed, just like the evolved 1911 models. I'm talking about the original old smokewagon that is slow to load, slow to unload, has limited strength in .45 Colt, limited capacity, fixed sights, etc. If someone wants a "better" revolver, get a Smith & Wesson or Ruger DA.

I would say folks like the SAA and similar simply for the shooting experience. Same with this 1911A1, it's more to recreate the original 1911A1 experience than to have the ultimate version of the design.

If one wants to go a step further one could ask why anyone would still want to mess with a 109 year old design in the first place, no matter how many bells and whistles are hung off of it, when there are combat and self-defense handguns that eat it's lunch for capacity (way more capacity even in the same chambering), weight, reliability, ease of take down, all kinds of things.

Folks like the 1911 design because they like the 1911, nothing wrong with that. I still like them. Same with the one in question, folks might want a clone of the military version just to have a clone of the military version. Maybe they just want something to hang next to their Italian made copy of a 7 1/2" barreled US Army issue SAA... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea. This would not be my only 1911 if I only had one.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Yea. This would not be my only 1911 if I only had one.

Of course. People buy these for fun. That it could also be deployed as effectively as they were by US troops is icing on the cake. If your main interest in getting a handgun was to carry or keep in the house for defense, there are better choices, needless to say. But this would do the job if called up on to, assuming you did your part.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I get one it will be purely for nostalgia and reverent memory, Gramps pulled open a cedar chest of drawers, retrieved and unholstered one he brought back from ww-ll, walked out back and let me shoot it when I was a kid, first 1911 I ever fired. cool

Trump Won!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,687
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.