Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
On the ammo side, when was the last time one saw Win Power Points in a store? Have about 8 bricks but not seen any on the shelf for about 6 years.

Now they sell it in the 100ct. slide-top boxes only, and it's not nearly as good as the old silver boxes, which was usually pretty good.

It clearly says "Power Point" on the boxes, to show it's different than the usual SuperX loads, but you still have to be careful when picking some up.

I've tried some of it, but it was pretty poor, a far, far cry from the olden days of twenty years ago.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by gunzo
A $496 retail. CZ457 American. I haven't checked, but suspect a $400 street price. Lotta class with a very good reputation for accuracy per dollar. Other barrel/stock options as well.

[Linked Image from cdn.cz-usa.com]

I like these, to bad they cannot figure out how to make the clip flush with the stock.

yep wished it had a Ruger type clip then i would buy a CZ , i have never understood why many companies build a great rifle with a cheap poorly designed clip ?

That "poorly designed clip" is twice as smooth as even the Ruger rotary magazines, and holds up better, and is easier to load. If it was so poor, then why does Steyr buy them and use them in their new Zephyr II rifles? For that matter, the new Australian Lithgow, another top quality rifle, use the same magazines from that same source?

Last edited by ratsmacker; 04/12/20.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anschutz [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by gunzo
A $496 retail. CZ457 American. I haven't checked, but suspect a $400 street price. Lotta class with a very good reputation for accuracy per dollar. Other barrel/stock options as well.

[Linked Image from cdn.cz-usa.com]

I like these, to bad they cannot figure out how to make the clip flush with the stock.

yep wished it had a Ruger type clip then i would buy a CZ , i have never understood why many companies build a great rifle with a cheap poorly designed clip ?

That "poorly designed clip" is twice as smooth as even the Ruger rotary magazines, and holds up better, and is easier to load. If it was so poor, then why does Steyr buy them and use them in their new Zephyr II rifles? For that matter, the new Australian Lithgow, another top quality rifle, use the same magazines from that same source?

They still suck if they aren’t flush! Pretty simple really

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was buying a .22 rimfire today it would be a CZ and I'd feed it Aguila ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Lots of folk love CZ. They shoot well, but IMO are rough and have schit triggers. At least the 452’s.

I prefer Tikka t1x if your talking modern less expensive bolt guns. Above that I’d save some more money and go Voodoo.

Marlin levers are very nice.

Lots of new semi rifles under $500. Haven’t shot many of them though.

My favorite is an old Favorite. Hard to beat for schits and giggles around the yard!

Last edited by MadMooner; 04/12/20.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jmp300wsm: I will divide your question into 2 (two) categories: Best value in an all-around 22 L.R. Rifle and "BEST" 22 L.R. Rifle these days.
Answers:

#1: Best value "all-around" in a Rifle + Ruger American Rimfire Varmint!

#2: Best 22 L.R. Rifle = Sako P94S Varmint!

Best of luck in your search if you are looking.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Bristoe
okay

Where's the pics of your groups?

OMG, I never kept any.

mmmm-hmmmm

The guy who keeps pictures of small one-hole groups is most likely someone who hasn't shot too many of them.

I heard pretty much the same words from a guy who was a national BR shooter with a couple of national titles when I lived in West Texas in the 1980's. He owned a shooting specialty warehouse/shop and sold almost exclusively to other BR shooters even though his doors were open to anyone. High dollars stuff for the most part but like a candy store for many people. The business was Fowler Shooters Supply and it was on the north side of the Odessa Midland Highway about half way between the two towns. He sold actions, barrels, stocks, scopes, bullets, and many other things that catered to the BR shooter at the time.

His similar response to cooper57's reply to Bristoe was to a guy who came in there one day while I was there and asked if his "stuff" was so good at his prices, why didn't he have targets of how well the "stuff" worked on the walls............. As he was looking at a trophy case full of BR shooting trophies that belonged to the shop owner.

The owner's name was Jeff Fowler and he is no longer with us. He had moved back east from where he originally came from - IIRC, maybe North Carolina - and he died there. He divorced his alky wife and she got the business but rapidly ran it into the ground. Jeff sold high-grade bullets and possibly other things too to other BR shooters for years before his death.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?52372-The-New-Fowler-Bullets

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to buy me an affordable take down - probably an AR-7 , maybe a 64F.

not interested in bench shooting groups with it. Its a backpack gun.

I've read about the Marlin Papoose? but I can't find any, AR-7's are everywhere for $230 - whatever I end up getting, I'm sure it will meet my needs for a 22

Last edited by KFWA; 04/12/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've not heard good things about the AR-7. They can be very finicky.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Did I hear somebody say you can't reload the vaunted .22 LR? HORSEFEATHERS!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Got any other questions?

Yes I do, several in fact. The .22 "reloads", those are fresh cases manufactured by somebody to accept centerfire primers correct? Doesn't the rifle have to be modified to a centerfire firing pin? I assume one couldn't do this to just any 22 rimfire rifle.
What powder do you use in those? Thanks

Cool rifle btw...

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't seen Weatherby XXII's mentioned. I have one that I have never fired, I hope it's not a turd in the accuracy department.

[Linked Image]

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not heard good things about the AR-7. They can be very finicky.

they do have a reputation for not doing well with certain types of ammo

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Have owned all the CZ 452 variants , superexclusive and Scout were two best shooters I had of the lot . Squerril hunting , they are everything you could want without breaking the bank .
The American and the Varmint did not impress me , the trainer was a close third but not up to the SE .
Have owned several models of Anshultz , Didn't pan out for me . But have seen some some that was smoking accurate , same with the 57 Cooper classic , some were hammers , some ok .
Ammunition lots figure big into consistent extreme accuracy .
The marlin Model 60 will kill as many squerills as you want to skin , won't win any serious matches ,, but this information is for all purposes the OP might be considering .
But as for hunting, there are a lot of rifles out there that will slay the bushytail , doing it regular is a matter of carrying , plinking , target shooting from all sorts of positions . A man that shoots often is likely to have success with a slew of rifles , get out there , handle them , shoot them , see what suits your fancy . One good thing about unsanctioned matches , especially were barrels no bigger than a dime at the crown are allowed , you will get see and maybe even shoot a lot that picks your interest .
Kenneth

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pass the Henry Golden Boy and stfu......

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For just an all purpose squirrel wacker, it's a 10/22 world. I've had more accurate 22's but my little 10/22 carbine has been my go to squirrel rifle since 1987, when it was new and I was 12.

I've tried "upgrading" but it just doesn't "feel" right to be carrying something else. I'll keep using it until they bury me with it or I pass it down to a grandkid somewhere down the line(and that better be a WAYS down the line, my kids are all pretty young AFAIK).

Last edited by CowboyTim; 04/12/20.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cotis,

Yes, fresh manufacture and used many times.

The T/C Contender has a selector on the hammer which allows CF or RF use.

I’ve used a variety of powders such as Bullseye, 700X, Red Dot etc. Average load is .8-.9 grain. for ballpark 1000-1050 FPS.

It has also been utilized in a 10/22 with a modified bolt...successfully.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
For what?
Target shooting, benchrest, shooting critters, plinking with the kids?
There is one for whatever you want to do.
Cost is the decider

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by cotis
I haven't seen Weatherby XXII's mentioned. I have one that I have never fired, I hope it's not a turd in the accuracy department.

[Linked Image]

I had the bolt action version of the Weatherby Mark XXII, it featured an Anschutz 64 barreled action in a beautiful Weatherby style high gloss stock. I shot it very little but it shot exceptionally well when I did.
I had the factory box, target and extra magazine. I ended up selling it because I have a hard time keeping nice things nice, I felt it was too nice to use after I put a slight ding in the stock.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing wrong at all with the $160 NIB blued steel and wood stock Marlin Model 60 I picked up a couple of weeks back, its at least as accurate than I can hold, and .22 rifles are SUPPOSED to feed out of a tubular magazine, ya never know when a squirrel or tin can is gonna need 14 rounds rapid -fire to put it down.

Come to think of it, a tube-fed Marlin Mod 60 in .375 H&H might be just the thing for Cape Buffalo, if they made such a thing.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.