B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad

And .... awaaay we go!

Popcorn time... here we go....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I actually found his post informational, and pretty interesting.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And I have nothing else to do. Trolling helps pass the time. I do still like my Leupold. I do still think that a custom dial has a place. It's always good to know your dope but I don't see where having distance marked on a turret is a stupid thing to do. If for example your 500yd come up is 5 1/4 MOA why would it be stupid to have a turret with 500 engraved on the turret at that spot?
Patrick

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For me, its ok if you want to do yardage. Its a start. But a 500 yard zero is going to start to vary, altitude, barometric pressure, temperature and so on. I'd rather get it as close as I can with a swag and dial to that, rather than take an average 500 yard zero and pray. Just me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Because your DOPE can change and shots in the field are rarely in exact distance increments.

I can see the appeal of having distance labels for quick reference on a particular hunt or shoot temporarily marked above the angular markings, but not replacing them.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It narrows your options being tied to one load/trajectory in one set of conditions.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Not to mention wasting half of your barrels lifetime just to get a leupy sighted in. A properly functioning scope does not do that, period.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So how is it tougher to add or subtract a click or two for changing conditions with a CDS turret over a regular dial?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's not really tougher but if you're " working the dope" anyway it moots the CDS turret.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe in a more "casual" situation, but looking at it from a hurry up and shoot he's getting away format, not necessarily.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Half of the life of a barrel getting it sighted in? Fine tuning a shot up or down is just as easy with a CDS as a turret. If you don't like them, don't use them. That being said the guy asked for an opinion. I gave mine. I like the scope. If you think they are junk, don't buy them.
Patrick

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can also create a DOPE card for the expected conditions of each hunt and then dial exactly what your card says, rather than worrying about adding or subtracting a click or two. With that in mind, the only time you'd have to modify your DOPE is in the most extreme cases of weather varying from what you had expected for the hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dodge268
Half of the life of a barrel getting it sighted in? Fine tuning a shot up or down is just as easy with a CDS as a turret. If you don't like them, don't use them. That being said the guy asked for an opinion. I gave mine. I like the scope. If you think they are junk, don't buy them.
Patrick

You gave your opinion, and other people gave theirs. No harm, no foul. My opinion is that Leupolds may have their place (a very specific place), but can't be depended on to reliably function correctly, and my experience has been that their ability to hold zero is also questionable, particularly on the newer iterations. The older models seemed to hold zero a bit better, but didn't reliably adjust correctly either.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
You’ve obviously never sighted in a Leupold. Nothing is predictable. After running a nightforce or swfa, one realizes that it usually takes two shots to get where you need to be. That’s just how a properly functioning scope works.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DUMB268,

You are in soooo far over your pointy head,that it's plum fhuqking amazing...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

HILARIOUS,that Whiners cain't connect a single fhuqking dot(literally). DOPE goes on the stock and inside ocular cap. If/when ANY components change(lot numbers for example),it takes but a second and a shot to confirm. Perhaps 3 seconds to correct it. Hint.

The LAST fhuqking thing I wanna do,is tough 50%+++ of my erector away,so someone can lick & stick a fhuqking label upon same. As distance increases,corrections magnify and I use 10yd increments for many chamberings. From 400 to 410yds,with a favored 10/22,is a .8 Mil ele correction change. Might as well blackout your Speedometer,excepting a 55mph window. Hint. LAUGHING!

The Reupold won't track in lineal fashion and will jump around. IF those leaps are consistent,they can be factored,but leaps ain't consistent. Tracking graduations will certainly be different than cited too. Just a tough way to do good work,with schit that can't/don't work and then Label Fhuqking it to boot. Hint.

270/105 DOPE. Bases are covered at spittin' distance(3 Mil hold over),200yd zero plainly cited and hasty 800yd comeups easily extrapolated. It can be shucked into erector,or held upon windshield,if not both at the same time. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A 6x Fixed Fhuqker will simply trounce all things Reupold. You get 10yd parallax,40+ Mil's erector travel and 10 Mil's in the windshield. I'll always greedily take it's windshield alone,over the entirety of a Reupold's attempt at erectors. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have several Leupolds and never had any tracking or zero issues.

1Minute
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by qwk
You’ve obviously never sighted in a Leupold. Nothing is predictable. After running a nightforce or swfa, one realizes that it usually takes two shots to get where you need to be. That’s just how a properly functioning scope works.

Have several Leupolds, Monday played with the guess the adjustment game on a 6 X 36 Leupold only took about 6 shots to get it close. With the SWFA 2 x 10 LW 2 shots. Pretty disappointing to not have the adjustments work as they should, not dialing just trying to zero scope!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You can drive tent stakes with the old fixed 6 power Burris. I have a fixed 4 and 6 Leupold, the 6 has target turrets and has never failed. I use a bunch of different scopes and have never had the amount of trouble that people claim on the internet. Hell the first three or four deer I shot were killed with a tasco on see through rings on a 742. You read the internet enough and you could be convinced that combination is useless. Guess I'm just lucky. Carry on
Patrick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burris has yet to make a scope worth a fhuqk and there sure in the fhuqk ain't anything redeeming in their elder 6x's(I've few). A 742 will REALLY illustrate scope "integrity",you poor poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How in the fhuqk is a Brokedick Clueless Fhuqk ever going to see anything good,let alone USE it? NOBODY that has ever shot a 100yd plumb line with a Reupold in an erector dump,can say "they are good". Nobody. Hint.

I rather enjoy the Melting Snowflake Routine,which is assuredly NO fhuqking "act",nor is the Hilarious STUPIDITY. Folks who "know" and "do" as "much" as you gals,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Read that aggain. now one more time. HINT. LAUGHING!

Dumbfhuqks with Schit Riggin',will never connect a single dot,nor attain a FIRST Fhuqking Clue,though they will happily extoll same obliviously...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. LAUGHING!

The MQ Reticle alone,crushes all thing Reupold. It just "happens" to better than (2) complete CDS turret revolutions of ele correction. Hint.

In current conditions,that reticle will only get a 243 Gasser to the 1140yd line. Hint.

Prolly don't suck to have 1150yd dope in a Seex Twat-Seex's Ocular. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying. The only things you "shoot" are your fhuqking mouth and Imaginations.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
small twig : A "legend" in his own mind!
Sheesh.
I have been using Leupold scopes for well over half a century now (55 years to be exact!) and the next time a Leupold scope fails me will be THE FIRST TIME!
Make NO mistake small twig I will let you know when and if that happens.
In case you think I have only owned/used a few I currently have 67 (sixty seven!) Leupold scopes mounted on my Rifles (and a pistol) and shoot them all!
My advice to anyone thinking of taking anything small twig urps up to heart - reconsider!
Sad and pathetic.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: The Burris scopes I own also work quite commendably - again, disregard any blather that small twig may blurth - you'll be better off for it - hint.
Double sheesh.

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (16penny, 1minute, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,908
Posts18,498,221
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.