-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing which annoys me greatly is people calling a revolver a "pistol" and conversely.

I find that particularly annoying when it is taking place in a movie dialog. They seem to always get it wrong !... With the money they spend, it seems that they should able to straighten up this one !!!

Another one has to do with over bore shotguns. I have often heard that "it's good enough for breaking clays, but useless on game" WHY ??? because "with an overbore barrel, the shots have speed but they lack punch" the proof : "you do not feel the recoil of these guns, which shows that the shots cannot have punch" !!! ...

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Muleskinner
An M-16 bullet tumbles, that's why it's so deadly.

Wasn't the advertised Theory on that something to the effect that the .223 ball ammo hit an ememy body and then bounced around inside causing a vicious wound in need of a medics attention but not immediate death, thusly taking two enemy soldiers out of the fight instead of just one...?

Or was that just a Myth?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A pump shotgun will shoot faster than an auto (this one can even be true, depending on the guns compared, and the skill of the shooter).

I've seen that done more than once.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
7.7mm Arisaka ammunition will interchange with 30-06
ammunition.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
deleted post. Somehow it was in a different thread and went here

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 06/12/07.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
". . . people calling a revolver a "pistol" . . ."
That goes back a long time. Colt called it a "pocket pistol" on his patent. Those old guys were so ignorant!
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In movies,I love seeing lead bullets making big spark splashes on dirt roads and wood planks. In fact I am amazed lead bullets make sparks on anything. Well, of course, it is "movies", not real life or close to the truth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those sparks and "splashes" are electrically fired squibs, planted there and camouflaged long before the director hollers "action!"

Note also that when "bullets" hit a target, the holes are big tatters that come forward.

Just tonight, I saw some TV footage that showed a gal shooting a hole in a guy's pinna (outer ear flap) without hurting the guy who was sitting in the line of fire right behind him.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of my buddies when I lived in Tucson did special effects for several film companies at "Old Tucson" . I saw some of the redicoulous effects created. I always love seeing a "whatever caliber" gun making some HUGE hole in most anything it hit. My 45 just makes a .454 inch hole. I wonder how the men of the past made it somewhere near 90 caliber. I guess it is all in fun and showmanship..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"You can't shoot cast bullets faster than 1000 fps or it will lead the barrel."

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I have owned several Carcano's in the early 60's. What a piece of junk, most didn't even have the bore in the center of the barrel. I worked for an importer at the time and before all the gun control laws. I simply cannot believe the JFK stories after having shot many of there pieces of crap. And, to have the accuracy to do a head shot at the distance Oswald shot from,, real doubtful. Well, maybe he had the exception.

You�re the second person to post that. If you do a deep investigation, it�s quite apparent that there was one shooter. The so called �magic bullet� is clearly put to rest by watching the Zapruder film, where you clearly see both President Kennedy and Governor Connally react to the same bullet. As for the killing shot that appeared to come from the front, again you have to go to the Zapruder film, but you have to look at it frame by frame in the Warren Report (Volume 18 I believe). If you use a ruler to measure the distance from the President�s head to the back of Governor Connally�s seat, you�ll see Kennedy�s head violently tilt and move forward (in the space of about 3 frames IIRC) before the famous snapping back we see on the film. Those 3 frames are almost invisible unless you view it frame by frame.

That accounts for the shots that caused all the wounds. That puts both shots coming from behind, from roughly the same position. The third shot missed and chipped a piece of concrete near the overpass, with the chipped piece of concrete striking a police officer in the face. Again, that third shot, had to come from behind the President.

Now, I don�t know if there was a conspiracy or not�But the ballistic evidence conclusively leads to a single shooter, and the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming for that shooter being Lee Harvey Oswald.

Been there, got the T-shirt.

I've seen several over dramatized tv documentaries, including the Austrailian guy who was shooting through balitic gelatin and the bullet just popped out and landed on the car mat like it was planted there. It was impresive.

But if you are a student of the subject you are probably aware of the recent study showing a problem with this view. It is doubtful this issue will ever be settled.

[Linked Image]

KJ believer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
� acting like a buzz saw. �

That one always bugs me, and I've heard knowledgeable shooters parrot it like gospel and supposedly smart writers keep it going as if it makes sense.

OK, the bullet spins in flight � 150,000 rpm if the velocity is 2,500 ft/sec and the twist is one turn in twelve inches. But it's going forward right fast, too � not staying in one place and spinning. At 2,500 ft/sec, it's going forward a foot every 1/2,500 second � a foot forward per revolution.

I've taken note of the petal tracks in the bullet cavities of test media, which show that many a fast bullet doesn't make even one complete revolution on its way through the test block.

"Good enough" isn't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I have owned several Carcano's in the early 60's. What a piece of junk, most didn't even have the bore in the center of the barrel. I worked for an importer at the time and before all the gun control laws. I simply cannot believe the JFK stories after having shot many of there pieces of crap. And, to have the accuracy to do a head shot at the distance Oswald shot from,, real doubtful. Well, maybe he had the exception.

You�re the second person to post that. If you do a deep investigation, it�s quite apparent that there was one shooter. The so called �magic bullet� is clearly put to rest by watching the Zapruder film, where you clearly see both President Kennedy and Governor Connally react to the same bullet. As for the killing shot that appeared to come from the front, again you have to go to the Zapruder film, but you have to look at it frame by frame in the Warren Report (Volume 18 I believe). If you use a ruler to measure the distance from the President�s head to the back of Governor Connally�s seat, you�ll see Kennedy�s head violently tilt and move forward (in the space of about 3 frames IIRC) before the famous snapping back we see on the film. Those 3 frames are almost invisible unless you view it frame by frame.

That accounts for the shots that caused all the wounds. That puts both shots coming from behind, from roughly the same position. The third shot missed and chipped a piece of concrete near the overpass, with the chipped piece of concrete striking a police officer in the face. Again, that third shot, had to come from behind the President.

Now, I don�t know if there was a conspiracy or not�But the ballistic evidence conclusively leads to a single shooter, and the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming for that shooter being Lee Harvey Oswald.

Kevin,

This atory was told to me by one of the shooters in the late 70's or early 80's. A duplication of Oswalds shot was built at H. P.White labs north of Baltimore, Md. The height of the school book depository, the distance to the target and movement was duplicated on a track. They brought in 4 shooters that actually used Oswalds rifle 6.5 Carcano obtained from the FBI. Congressional funds was paying for the test with FBI oversight. I knew one of the shooters at the time. I cannot recall the sourse of the shooters except for the one I knew that related this story to me. He is now deceased. His name was Howard Donahue.

The "Zapruder" films was used for timing and distance duplication in the mock set-up.

Only "one" of the shooters out of 4 was able to hit the target
in the manner "Oswald" did shooting the 6.5 rifle in less than
4 seconds shooting at about 75 yards. Likely to be attributed to the rifle more than ability.

Congress did not make this info readily available sence it did not meet a pre-determined out come....thats my guess.

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 06/13/07.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Sanlen
It is doubtful this issue will ever be settled.

If you really believe that, then I have to assume you have not read Gerald Posner's book, Case Closed. Posner was/is an experienced prosecuting attorney who undertook the most detailed analysis of the Kennedy assassination ever.

It is by far the most lucid and compelling account of the life and times of Lee Harvey Oswald, the events leading to his actions in Dallas that day, and the actual events of the assassination. No serious historian of the Kennedy assassination is able to ignore it. Posner's meticulous research was an enormous undertaking. He analyzed and synthesized the information contained in every known document pertaining to the investigation. He read and deconstructed every book, film, and article written by conspiracy theorists. He compared and contrasted quotations and testimony from the witnesses to the assassination and exposed the contradictions and outright lies.

I frankly cannot believe that any logical, intelligent person can read Posner's book and still believe "it is doubtful this issue will ever be settled".

From Amazon.com's description of Posner's book:

The assassination of John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963, continues to inspire interest ranging from well-meaning speculation to bizarre conspiracy theories and controversial filmmaking. But in this landmark book, reissued with a new afterword for the 40th anniversary of the assassination, Gerald Posner examines all of the available evidence and reaches the only possible conclusion: Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. There was no second gunman on the grassy knoll. The CIA was not involved. And although more than four million pages of documents have been released since Posner first made his case, they have served only to corroborate his findings. Case Closed remains the classic account against which all books about JFK�s death must be measured.

Last edited by DocRocket; 06/13/07.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I�ve read many a conspiracy theory book, and not once have I read a book in support of the Warren Commission, yet I was still able to easily conclude that Oswald was the shooter. In fact, it wasn�t until recently was I aware there really were books in support of the Warren Commission. Still, I haven�t read them after making my determination because the Zapruder film, coupled with a good look at Oswald, his activity in the days before, and immediately after the incident. They got their man.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ken, they have a new technology out now for those "sparks" that they may employ in addition to the squib charges.

they have a paintball gun that they fill with special paintballs that have a "flash" spark stuff in them. Kind of like the "snap caps" they shoot them in the direction they want them and when they hit, "spark".

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think where the real problem is is with us shooters. Most of us have spent thousands of dollars on our weapons so how can a guy who was supposedly not a very good shot shooting a crappy rifle make that shot that day? As has been said it was his lucky day and JFK's very unlucky day.

I have a highly customized .45ACP 1911 that I sometimes use to hunt. One time I had a nice large muley buck stand front on at about 30 yards. It was a great shot that I could make and have made a number of times. That day was the deer's lucky day and my unlucky day. I still analyze the shot and wonder haw I could have miss such an easy shot with very expensive highly customized 1911. It happens is all I could ever could come up with.

It happens! It was Oswald's lucky day.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Sanlen
It is doubtful this issue will ever be settled.

I frankly cannot believe that any logical, intelligent person can read Posner's book and still believe "it is doubtful this issue will ever be settled".

There you have it. A lot of people have suspected it, but now we have proof in black and white that I am not a "logical, intelligent person". wink

Actually, what I said (well, at least meant) was that the issue would never be settled, not meaning in a court of law or in the view of a commission or board, but in people's minds. There will always be doubt in some minds because there are many voices that can be heard, and who an individual listens to and believes is based on many things other than a title, letters behind a name, or even in some cases cold hard facts. People tend to believe what they want to believe.

[Linked Image]

KJ believer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And so right you are!

� Many will continue to almost worshipfully believe the pronouncements of the Warren Commission.

� Many will continue to almost worshipfully disbelieve the pronouncements of the Warren Commission.

� because they want to.

smile

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guns kill people.

Jim

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,300
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.