M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT
The decline of society is caused by many factors, economic, market saturation, business decline leading to shortage of jobs, a sense of hoplessness, turn to drugs, steal to feed the habit, homelessness, overpopulation, social friction, race tension, class, the haves and the have nots, poor education, etc, etc....religion being only a part of the overall picture. Plus the US has a higher percentage of believers than Australia, for example, yet appears to have greater problems.

Yeah, we got a lot more suffering among people now days wearing nikes, eating rotten road kill from their fridge while watching color TV while sitting under an AC than folks did along the European coast living off the fat of the sea with their motorized fishing boats while dodging polio, the plagues, mosquitoes, tetanus, potato famines and Barbary Coast bleck slavers a thousand years ago.

We got it so bad roving bands of poor starving bleck utes scavenge for green meat and donuts through the alley dumpsters all day unless they see a chick with nice tenners and a cell phone they can attack.

Sheesh.

So much for your claims that Christianity will solve all of societies problems. More Black claim to be Christian than whites. Same for Latinos.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...erall-public-to-be-christian-protestant/

...today, a larger share of African Americans than whites say they are Christian. And, of all major U.S. racial and ethnic groups, blacks are the most likely to identify as Protestant.

Nearly eight-in-ten black Americans (79%) identify as Christian, according to Pew Research Center’s 2014 Religious Landscape Study. By comparison, seven-in-ten Americans overall (71%) say they are Christian, including 70% of whites, 77% of Latinos and just 34% of Asian Americans. Meanwhile, about seven-in-ten blacks are Protestant, compared with less than half of the public overall (47%), including 48% of whites, roughly a quarter of Latinos and 17% of Asian Americans.

[Linked Image from pewresearch.org]

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...he-religious-lives-of-african-americans/

Claiming to be religious and acting so often isnt the same thing.

Is it religious to stick pins in voodoo dolls?

Kinda convenient to disclaim one's own when they do wrong, so all believers are only one sin away from being non-believers?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB4

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
The decline of society is caused by many factors, economic, market saturation, business decline leading to shortage of jobs, a sense of hoplessness, turn to drugs, steal to feed the habit, homelessness, overpopulation, social friction, race tension, class, the haves and the have nots, poor education, etc, etc....religion being only a part of the overall picture. Plus the US has a higher percentage of believers than Australia, for example, yet appears to have greater problems.

Yeah, we got a lot more suffering among people now days wearing nikes, eating rotten road kill from their fridge while watching color TV while sitting under an AC than folks did along the European coast living off the fat of the sea with their motorized fishing boats while dodging polio, the plagues, mosquitoes, tetanus, potato famines and Barbary Coast bleck slavers a thousand years ago.

We got it so bad roving bands of poor starving bleck utes scavenge for green meat and donuts through the alley dumpsters all day unless they see a chick with nice tenners and a cell phone they can attack.

Sheesh.

So much for your claims that Christianity will solve all of societies problems. More Black claim to be Christian than whites. Same for Latinos.

...today, a larger share of African Americans than whites say they are Christian. And, of all major U.S. racial and ethnic groups, blacks are the most likely to identify as Protestant.

Nearly eight-in-ten black Americans (79%) identify as Christian, according to Pew Research Center’s 2014 Religious Landscape Study. By comparison, seven-in-ten Americans overall (71%) say they are Christian, including 70% of whites, 77% of Latinos and just 34% of Asian Americans. Meanwhile, about seven-in-ten blacks are Protestant, compared with less than half of the public overall (47%), including 48% of whites, roughly a quarter of Latinos and 17% of Asian Americans.

Claiming to be religious and acting so often isn't the same thing.

Voodoo is a religion, and includes may Catholic elements, more than you probably imagine.

As for claiming to be religion, but not really being so, .....you should look in the mirror.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
34 pages so far. And like all the other religious threads, no one has convinced anyone on the other side.
Just havin’ a discussion. On a discussion forum. On a particular topic. Religion, in this case.
Is it less credible, or wrong (in your opinion) to discuss it...as opposed to discussing Aunt Jemima Syrup, or Chick-Fil-A, or affirmative action, or Derek Chauvin, or Juneteenth, or George Floyd, or Facebook...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
I wish you’d fix that (above). You have your statements attributed to me, and my statements attributed to you...it’s all mixed up. What a mess.

Since you know what you posted and what I posted, how about answering the questions.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Demanding that people believe in a literal interpretation of the entire Bible, and demanding that they believe things that are clearly not true...and telling them that their salvation is null and void if they don’t...certainly DOES push people away from Jesus.

You believe the big lie, so I'm not surprised you believe this lie.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
I wish you’d fix that (above). You have your statements attributed to me, and my statements attributed to you...it’s all mixed up. What a mess.
Since you know what you posted and what I posted, how about answering the questions.
My position is clear. Crystal. I’m not threatened by what you think or believe. I’m not threatened by science...science that makes all of our lives better...every single day of our lives. The Bible is NOT the foundation of Christianity. I believe that the Gospel would still be true if every Bible and manuscript in the world were non-existent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Demanding that people believe in a literal interpretation of the entire Bible, and demanding that they believe things that are clearly not true...and telling them that their salvation is null and void if they don’t...certainly DOES push people away from Jesus.
You believe the big lie, so I'm not surprised you believe this lie.
If you choose to see it otherwise, so be it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My position is clear. Crystal. I’m not threatened by what you think or believe. I’m not threatened by science...science that makes all of our lives better...every single day of our lives. The Bible is NOT the foundation of Christianity. I believe that the Gospel would still be true if every Bible and manuscript in the world were non-existent.

Please help me out here. Seriously. What is the foundation of Christianity? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the dark.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please help me out here. Seriously. What is the foundation of Christianity? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the dark.
The Resurrection of Jesus created and launched Christianity. The Resurrection of Jesus is THE foundation of Christianity. The faith of Christianity is tethered to the event of the Resurrection rather than to the authority and inspiration or infallibility or inerrancy of the Bible. The Bible did not create Christianity. The Bible did not birth Jesus’ Church. Our faith is anchored to the event (the Resurrection) that sparked the movement (the Church) that brought us the Bible. Christianity began on Easter morning with Jesus’ Resurrection.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What was the foundation of Peter’s faith...? The foundation of his faith was not something he’d read or had read to him. The foundation of his faith was something that he’d seen. It was an event. Peter believed what he believed because of what he saw. He saw Jesus die, and later...he had breakfast with Him on the beach...!

IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm surprised the discussion has been as civil as it has. It's a pleasant surprise. Quite an improvement over other threads in the past.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What was the foundation of Peter’s faith...? The foundation of his faith was not something he’d read or had read to him. The foundation of his faith was something that he’d seen. It was an event.

Only Matthew mentions Peter walking on water
and Luke fails to even mention Jesus walking
on water.

Why would the unknown/anonymous authors
omit such events.

Do you believe Jesus actually ascended into Heaven while the disciples looked on?

Does JC need that flesh & blood body in
an athereal realm heaven?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What was the foundation of Peter’s faith...? The foundation of his faith was not something he’d read or had read to him. The foundation of his faith was something that he’d seen. It was an event. Peter believed what he believed because of what he saw. He saw Jesus die, and later...he had breakfast with Him on the beach...!

In Matthew, Jesus, after asking Peter who He was and Peter responding "thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God", said to Peter "blessed art thou Simon Barjona, for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." Which is to say the source of Peter's knowledge of Christ's divinity was the witness of the Holy Ghost. After all John tells us "the Father would send the comforter" who "shall teach you all truth and bring all things to your remembrance". And Christ said to Peter that "upon this rock" (the rock of divine revelation which constituted the basis of Peter's knowledge of Christ's divinity) "I will build my church..."

Last edited by Tarquin; 06/18/20.

Tarquin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT
I'm surprised the discussion has been as civil as it has. It's a pleasant surprise. Quite an improvement over other threads in the past.

I can think of one believer here who hit the fan and became abusive in previous related threads but is quite toned down this time - maybe taking some medication, or psychiatric treatment this time. I think we all know that I'm referring to Jag - the instigator of this thread. He's put me on ignore so I can say what I like about him now without offending him.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“And if Jesus is not risen, our preaching is worthless and your faith is also worthless.” - Apostle Paul.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DBT

Sheesh.

Claiming to be religious and acting so often isn't the same thing.

Voodoo is a religion, and includes may Catholic elements, more than you probably imagine.

As for claiming to be religion, but not really being so, .....you should look in the mirror.

I never said I was religion. I dont consider putting 50 2 inch long pony tails on a nappy haired kids head to keep off the "haints" adequate to call the folks believers either.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. Psalms 19:1
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Religion, especially the hope of a paradise waiting after death was a powerful thing to a slave population.

Until very recent times, even those people not in chains were enslaved by their environment. They spent most every waking moment tending their flocks, gathering herbs and roots, or hunting meat. As soon as they could walk at their Mother's side, they began helping in the gathering of food. Or the little ones took their dogs and tended flocks and chased away predators.

Religion and the thought of Heaven gave them hope of some reward after their unending suffering with labor, hunger, pestilence and early death.

Today, in developed nations, there is much less need for such. It is a natural progression, just as is the move toward smaller families.

I watched a beautiful sunset on the back deck the other night. Thin white clouds and pale blue sky up high. Low clouds in the foreground that were dark gray underneath and bright gold on top from the setting sun.
No wonder the people once believed including those who put the bible together thought that was where heaven could be found. Cloud pictures are still used today to depict “Heaven.”

“According to Genesis, they did believe that Heaven was located above the earth (in fact, in Hebrew, the same word means “Heavens” and “Skies.”
Genesis 28:12
“Then [Jacob] dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it."

For those who arent blind. Uh, I'm speaking in a spiritual sense here, like HE did (in many instances) and not in a literal sense.
wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/19/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
More nonsense from the perepetually ignorant AS, et al...

https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/the-life-cycles-of-empires-lessons-for-america-today

We are in an obvious, and serious state of moral decline in the USA. Not to mention the millions of innocent babies that are slaughtered ever year here, what are some key signs of decline?

What are some common features of an empire’s culture in its declining period?

1. Rampant sexual immorality, an aversion to marriage in favor of “living together” and an increased divorce rate all combine to undermine family stability. This happened among the upper class in the late Roman Republic and early Empire. The first-century writer Seneca once complained about Roman upper-class women: “They divorce in order to re-marry. They marry in order to divorce.”

The birthrate declines, and abortion and infanticide both increase as family size is deliberately limited. The historian W.H. McNeill has referred to the “biological suicide of the Roman upper classes” as one reason for Rome’s decline. Homosexuality becomes publicly acceptable and spreads, as was the case among the ancient Greeks before Rome conquered them.

2. Many foreign immigrants settle in the empire’s capital and major cities. The mixture of ethnic groups in close proximity in these cosmopolitan places inevitably produces conflicts.

Because of their prominent locations within the empire, their influence greatly exceeds their percentage of the population. Here diversity plainly leads to divisiveness. We see this today in the growing conflict in European countries such as France and the Netherlands, where large numbers of immigrants are stoking violent cultural clashes. German chancellor Angela Merkel recently made headlines when she stated that attempts to create a multicultural society had “utterly failed” and immigrants must do more to integrate into society.

3. Both irresponsible pleasure-seeking and pessimism increase among the people and their leaders. The spirit described in 1 Corinthians 15:32 spreads throughout society: “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!” As people cynically give up looking for solutions to the problems of life and society, they drop out of the system. They then turn to mindless entertainment, to luxuries and sexual activity, and to drugs or alcohol. The astonishingly corrupt and lavish parties of the Roman Empire’s elite are a case in point. The Emperor Nero, for instance, would spend the modern equivalent of $500,000 for just the flowers at some banquets.

4. The government provides extensive welfare for the poor. In the case of the city of Rome, which had perhaps 1.2 million people around A.D. 170, government-provided “bread and circuses” (food and entertainment) helped to keep the masses content. About one half of its non-slave population was on the dole at least part of the year. True, helping the poor shows Christian compassion (Mark 14:7). But such help also can lead to laziness and dependency (2 Thessalonians 3:10-12). Such problems are especially likely when the poor believe state-provided charity is a permanent right or entitlement.

Well said, JG.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Seven days of creation and how they prophetically parallel each Millennium of
human history
• 1st day of creation light separated from darkness – 1st 1000 years Adam sinned and was separated from the light of God
• 2nd day of creation waters were separated from land – 2nd 1000 years water was used to cover earth in Noah’s flood and then separated again
• 3rd day of creation plants with seeds were created to fill the earth with plant life – 3rd 1000 years God promised Abraham that thru his seed all the world would be blessed
• 4th day of creation the lights in heaven were created – in the 4th 1000 years the prophets were given of God and Jesus came to be the light in the world
5th day of creation living creatures – in the 5th 1000 years Jesus came to give new life so that man could inherent eternal life
• 6th day of creation man was created and told to fill the earth and subdue it – in the 6th 1000 years man has filled the earth and subdued it
• 7th day God rested in the 7th 1000 years will be restored and mankind will rest while Christ rules it - Revelation 20:1-6

The next major event will be the rapture then after 7 years tribulation the 1000 year millennial reign begins
• Satan is bound for 1000 years, thrown in the dungeon in chains with his minions, and Christ reigns on earth
• After which Satan is released for a period after this time to test the humans that are living in
the millennium, and stupid humans follow him again.
Then, Armageddon and Hell.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/19/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got that right. Jesus' (Yeshua's) teachings which weren't new ideas at all have had so much of other belief systems stitched onto them it resembles a religious Frankenstein monster.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 35 of 95 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.