Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Ringman
Please help me out here. Seriously. What is the foundation of Christianity? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the dark.
What was the foundation of Peter’s faith...? The foundation of his faith was not something he’d read or had read to him. The foundation of his faith was something that he’d seen. It was an event. Peter believed what he believed because of what he saw. He saw Jesus die, and later...he had breakfast with Him on the beach...!

In Matthew, Jesus, after asking Peter who He was and Peter responding "thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God", said to Peter "blessed art thou Simon Barjona, for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." Which is to say the source of Peter's knowledge of Christ's divinity was the witness of the Holy Ghost. After all John tells us "the Father would send the comforter" who "shall teach you all truth and bring all things to your remembrance". And Christ said to Peter that "upon this rock" (the rock of divine revelation which constituted the basis of Peter's knowledge of Christ's divinity) "I will build my church..."

Last edited by Tarquin; 06/18/20.

Tarquin