Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
I am assuming that the Bible is quoting God who told them to do those evil deeds...
Samuel 15:3 ESV Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. 3 Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction[a] all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’

There are numerous commentaries on the why and wherefores of 1 Samuel 15. They are easy to discover, but I fear they will make no sense to you.

I once heard a most brief explanation of the Old Testament, went something like this: God really hates sin, He will not allow sin “in the camp.” He is serious about sin and will not allow it in Heaven. But, He loves and has made a way for us to be with Him. One cannot read the Old Testament and conclude that “sin” is not a serious matter before God. There is indeed judgment and wrath against sin.

Also, please note Proverbs 16:2.

“All the ways of a man are clean and innocent in his own eyes (and he may see nothing wrong with his actions), But the Lord weighs and examines the motives and intents (of the heart and knows the truth)”

The OT and the Law relieve us of this error.......

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”