Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Starman
He set it all up that Adam must fall.
He did this by Placing the craftiest creature known
to God to trick humans (that he ensured would be
naive enough to take the bait.)

Pretty ignorant to think that snakes are crafty. They don't have the cerebellum to think that way, just a reptilian cortex.

It's described as the most subtle/cunning beast in the Garden. It's only after playing its role in the downfall of A&E that it was made to crawl on the ground as a snake.

The problem isn't crawling on its belly. The problem is snakes don't have vocal chords, a Broca's organ to frame speech, or a cerebellum to think with. The story is a fairy tale. I don't think God believes in fairy tales nor wants us to.

It's a creation myth. But If it wasn't intended to explain the world in terms of a Creator, create a religion and identity for the tribe of Israel, it had no real purpose. Perhaps entertainment?

The thing is, it was taken literally by believers up until modern times.

People believed in a literal God, a literal Eden, a literal six days of creation, a literal serpent in the garden, a literal fall, therefore a literal need for redemption in the sacrifice of Jesus.

Believed??

We have several members here who STILL believe in a literal interpretation, including the 6 day creation 6k to 10k years ago......

Does Ringman ring a well?

I know. It's astonishing, but I just didn't mention it when I wrote my post.

Some do push for allegory, metaphor, poetic language, but given the nature of the narrative, the fall and the need for redemption, a redeemer, a sacrifice, allegory doesn't work. It has to be taken literally.

Yet taken literally it makes no sense.

Yep.

For some, no Garden, no fall.
No fall no Resurrection.
No Resurrection no happy forever after.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell