Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Do a word study on love in the OT. It will surprise you

Also do a study on Jesus and his judgement and wrath. It will greatly surprise you.

Wrath in the New Testament is a pale shadow compared to wrath in the Old Testament.

Psalm 137:9 Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock!

We went through this before. You must have missed it. As I recall that discussion..... This is a prophecy.... a foretelling .... Of the fall and subsequent destruction of Babylon. When an oppressed people have victory over a hated enemy..... as was common in those days, they get atrociously violent. “Happy are they who,,,,”. This is the result of warfare and violent times. They were indeed “happy” in their vengeance.

Your implication that it is “wrath” of God is simply in error. It is a description of event that were to come....

Go back and review if you like.

I posted early on this thread that turning this into New vs Old Testament debate has been done before.

You are right that they lived in violent times, but that is no excuse for claiming that God told them to commit genocide.

“Wrath of God” is central and interwoven in Biblical teachings. There is a awful lot of that in the Bible.

And this is not prophecy nor foretelling:
Exodus 12:29-30: At midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of the livestock. And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he and all his servants and all the Egyptians. And there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was not a house where someone was not dead.

Re: Psalm 137:9....Do you think that God told ”them” to commit genocide?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”