Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by DBT
[quote=Dixie_Dude]The Bible also says a day in Gods eyes is as a thousand years to man. So a literal 7 human or earth days may not be to God. Another fact. Honey bees use logarithms to tell distance to flowers to other bees with a brain the size of a pinhead. Some plants cannot survive without bees and the bees cannot survive without flowering plants. Which evolved first? I think they were created first.

The college professor who discovered the granite rock creation was at the University of Tennessee in the 1980's. Don't remember his name.

Yet genesis specifies six literal days of creation, mornings and evenings.

It still specifies mornings and evenings, which is why it was translated as mornings and evenings and why that translation relates to the narrative of special creation.

Hebrew word "boqor" can mean morning or dawn, but generally can mean the beginning (or "dawn") of any length period of time.
Hebrew word "ereb" can mean sunset or night, but generally can mean the ending of any length period of time.

Read Psalm 90:6 In the morning it [grass] flourishes, and sprouts anew; Toward evening it fades, and withers away.

Do you know of any grass that sprouts in the morning and dies the same day? No, it refers to a period of time greater than 12 or 24 hour, much more.

Likewise, the Hebrew word "Yom" is translated as "day". The Hebrew word and the English word can mean:
8 hours- I work and 8 hour day.
12 hours- Daylight lasts 12 hours.
24 hours- a whole day is the length of time it takes for the Earth to revolve once.
4 years- Ie. "In my day, I was a great college football player. "

In the Bible, Yom, ereb, and bogor are used these ways, sometimes to mean morning, evening, 24 hours or any number of beginnings, endings, or time periods.

You actually don't have to go very far to see an example of this.....
Gen 2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made earth and heaven.[color:#CC0000][/color]
Now, Genesis 1 refers to 6 days of Creation. Gen 2:4 says that it was 1 day (the day). If you are going to demand that Yom means 24 hours specifically, then what do you do with Gen 2:4? It calls 6 days "1 day".

No it does not always mean 24 hours., Yom can mean 24 hours or 24 years or 240 million years.

Given the context, the overall narrative, normal days 24 hour days is the only thing it can mean. The grass didn't need to sprout, it was created fully formed, the sun and moon where placed in the sky fully formed (the writer did not know the size or scale of the solar system or universe), Adam was not born a baby, but created fully formed, etc.....genesis describes magical creation, special creation, not evolution.