Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Religion, especially the hope of a paradise waiting after death was a powerful thing to a slave population.

Until very recent times, even those people not in chains were enslaved by their environment. They spent most every waking moment tending their flocks, gathering herbs and roots, or hunting meat. As soon as they could walk at their Mother's side, they began helping in the gathering of food. Or the little ones took their dogs and tended flocks and chased away predators.

Religion and the thought of Heaven gave them hope of some reward after their unending suffering with labor, hunger, pestilence and early death.

Today, in developed nations, there is much less need for such. It is a natural progression, just as is the move toward smaller families.

Hunter/gatherers... enslaved by their environment....I certainly dont see it that way, they spent most of their time surviving, I more so think they relished in it, there were no alternate lifestyles to choose from.... no advertising telling them how their life should be. they lived day to day, sometimes they flourished, sometimes they suffered.....I doubt they filled their days with hope of a afterlife...
People need hope more now than ever as there are so many things outside their control that influence their lives....

When hunting all day, they just hoped they found something to eat,

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii