Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by DBT
The decline of society is caused by many factors, economic, market saturation, business decline leading to shortage of jobs, a sense of hoplessness, turn to drugs, steal to feed the habit, homelessness, overpopulation, social friction, race tension, class, the haves and the have nots, poor education, etc, etc....religion being only a part of the overall picture. Plus the US has a higher percentage of believers than Australia, for example, yet appears to have greater problems.

Assuming you meant "a sense of hopelessness". And where might a sense of hopelessness come from? Perhaps the thought that you are nothing more than an ape who has come down out of the trees? I'd have a sense of hopelessness if I believed that, too.

If you really meant hopelessness then I completely understand the majority of liberals; their lack of hops means they'll never make dime playing basketball, so they drag down society instead. grin

Why would I say 'a sense of hopelessness' If I had not meant to say it?
I also listed possible reasons for the sense of hopelessness that some feel, struggling to make ends meet, low income, meaningless work day in day out without respite....may be causes for the breakdown of society, turning to drugs, crime, etc.

These issues are more economic and existential than religious. A society does well when it's members feel they have opportunities to get ahead, to thrive....rather than believing in this or that version of God.

Last edited by DBT; 06/19/20.