I
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Starman
He set it all up that Adam must fall.
He did this by Placing the craftiest creature known
to God to trick humans (that he ensured would be
naive enough to take the bait.)

Pretty ignorant to think that snakes are crafty. They don't have the cerebellum to think that way, just a reptilian cortex.

It's described as the most subtle/cunning beast in the Garden. It's only after playing its role in the downfall of A&E that it was made to crawl on the ground as a snake.

The problem isn't crawling on its belly. The problem is snakes don't have vocal chords, a Broca's organ to frame speech, or a cerebellum to think with. The story is a fairy tale. I don't think God believes in fairy tales nor wants us to.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT

It's described as the most subtle/cunning beast in the Garden...

I think a charming rat with a gold tooth
could have got the job done just as easily... šŸ˜‚

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The problem is snakes don't have vocal chords, a Broca's organ to frame speech, or a cerebellum to think with. The story is a fairy tale.

The cerebellum is the organ which governs most of our movements, the cerebrum is the organ of conscious thought.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Pretty ignorant to think that snakes are crafty. They don't have the cerebellum to think that way, just a reptilian cortex.

It's described as the most subtle/cunning beast in the Garden. It's only after playing its role in the downfall of A&E that it was made to crawl on the ground as a snake.

The problem isn't crawling on its belly. The problem is snakes don't have vocal chords, a Broca's organ to frame speech, or a cerebellum to think with. The story is a fairy tale. I don't think God believes in fairy tales nor wants us to.

It's a creation myth. But If it wasn't intended to explain the world in terms of a Creator, create a religion and identity for the tribe of Israel, it had no real purpose. Perhaps entertainment?

The thing is, it was taken literally by believers up until modern times.

People believed in a literal God, a literal Eden, a literal six days of creation, a literal serpent in the garden, a literal fall, therefore a literal need for redemption in the sacrifice of Jesus.

Last edited by DBT; 07/06/20.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

It's a creation myth. But If it wasn't intended to explain the world in terms of a Creator, create a religion and identity for the tribe of Israel, it had no real purpose. Perhaps entertainment?

People believed in a literal God, a literal Eden, a literal six days of creation, a literal serpent in the garden, a literal fall, therefore a literal need for redemption in the sacrifice of Jesus.

Believed??

We have several members here who STILL believe in a literal interpretation, including the 6 day creation 6k to 10k years ago......

Does Ringman ring a bell?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/06/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Believed??

We have several members here who STILL believe in a literal interpretation, including the 6 day creation 6k to 10k years ago......

Does Ringman ring a well?

I know. It's astonishing, but I just didn't mention it when I wrote my post.

Some do push for allegory, metaphor, poetic language, but given the nature of the narrative, the fall and the need for redemption, a redeemer, a sacrifice, allegory doesn't work. It has to be taken literally.

Yet taken literally it makes no sense.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Believed??

Does Ringman ring a well?

I know. It's astonishing, but I just didn't mention it when I wrote my post.

Some do push for allegory, metaphor, poetic language, but given the nature of the narrative, the fall and the need for redemption, a redeemer, a sacrifice, allegory doesn't work. It has to be taken literally.

Yet taken literally it makes no sense.

Yep.

For some, no Garden, no fall.
No fall no Resurrection.
No Resurrection no happy forever after.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Christian religion would attract more people if they just threw out the entire book of Genesis...
Or at least address the many instances of allegory that it contains. Even Jesus used parables in His teachings, and they are clear examples of allegory.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
I think the Christian religion would attract more people if they just threw out the entire book of Genesis...
Or at least address the many instances of allegory that it contains. Even Jesus used parables in His teachings, and they are clear examples of allegory.

If there was no fall, what need of Jesus the redeemer?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or maybe the snake evolved into the brainless reptile it is today.............It could happen, look at what happened to the democrats in such a short period of time...........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔĢ€Ėn labĆ© skĆ½la

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

If The Fall is just allegory, why not Jesus as allegory?

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Then the question: allegory for what?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RayF
...God sees the intention in your heart.
word

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A literal interpretation of ā€˜the fallā€™ doesnā€™t really matter. The belief that we are separated from our Creator because of sin (as Jesus Himself taught) is what really matters. A literal interpretation of the life and death, and *especially* of the resurrection of Jesus does matter though...big time...because that, *the resurrection*, is the very foundation of the faith. That is what makes possible our once again having a personal relationship with our Creator.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
A literal interpretation of ā€˜the fallā€™ doesnā€™t really matter. The belief that we are separated from our Creator because of sin (as Jesus Himself taught) is what really matters. A literal interpretation of the life and death, and *especially* of the resurrection of Jesus does matter though...big time...because that, *the resurrection*, is the very foundation of the faith. That is what makes possible our once again having a personal relationship with our Creator.

So, if there was no literal resurrection, does your entire religion crumble?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allegories (like Jesusā€™ parables) can be morally true, while not being factual. These stories never happened, but were used by Jesus to illustrate points that are true.
As to distinguishing in the Bible what is figurative and what is literal...
To me, it depends on the context. For example, if I read in the paper ā€œTrump Criticized Over Coronavirus Responseā€, itā€™s a fair bet theyā€™re being literal. But if I read in the sports section ā€œPanthers Maul Bearsā€, theyā€™re most likely being figurative regarding a football game rather than referencing a true incident with animals.
Some Christians are divided on certain passages and whether they are figurative or literal. The Biblical creation story for example...is each ā€œdayā€ mentioned a literal 24 hour period, or a figurative period lasting millions of years or more...? I donā€™t think it really matters, as neither interpretation effects the Gospel. I feel the same regarding Noah and the Ark, Jonah and the great fish, and the Biblical fall story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The event of the resurrection is the very foundation of the Christian faith. Without the resurrection there would be no Christianity.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The event of the resurrection is the very foundation of the Christian faith. Without the resurrection there would be no Christianity.

Hypothetically, tonight, you conclusively determine the resurrection did not happen.

Tomorrow morning, after you put on your pants, how does that change the way you live the rest of your day?

How does it change your behavior for the rest of your days?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Antelope_Sniper
Hypothetically, tonight, you conclusively determine the resurrection did not happen. Tomorrow morning, after you put on your pants, how does that change the way you live the rest of your day? How does it change your behavior for the rest of your days?
I would miss, very much, the relationship that I have with my Creator (and all that that entails).
I feel differently about these things than nearly everyone else does. I donā€™t think Jesusā€™ teachings were ever meant to be a religion. I think they were meant to be a way of life. And the opportunity is there, if one chooses, to have a relationship with Him. He said Heā€™d never reject anyone who came to Him. His words resonated with me. He said ā€œCome to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.ā€ I took that to heart.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Antelope_Sniper
Hypothetically, tonight, you conclusively determine the resurrection did not happen. Tomorrow morning, after you put on your pants, how does that change the way you live the rest of your day? How does it change your behavior for the rest of your days?
I would miss, very much, the relationship that I have with my Creator (and all that that entails).
I feel differently about these things than nearly everyone else does. I donā€™t think Jesusā€™ teachings were ever meant to be a religion. I think they were meant to be a way of life. And the opportunity is there, if one chooses, to have a relationship with Him. He said Heā€™d never reject anyone who came to Him. His words resonated with me. He said ā€œCome to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.ā€ I took that to heart.

Being that for you it's a way of life, I suspect that means very little, if anything would actually change as it applies to your daily actions?

Page 56 of 95 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,248
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.