Page 21 of 27 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 26 27
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

And it that context it can apply to any set of principles intended to lead a person to a better way of life, be those principle Christian or otherwise.

Avowed and celebrated atheists Walter Lippmann & HL Menken praised the book Christianity & Liberalism by J Gresham Machen. In that seminal work the author asserted that an intellectually honest assessment of Historic Christianity reveals it is not a “set of principles intended to lead a person to a better way of life” but something altogether different. His assertion is that Christianity is a message from the One true God inviting men into communion with Him through the sacrifice of His Son. Now a right relationship with God will result in a better way of life for them and those around them but that isn’t the end goal.

If you’re interested in such a work I’d highly recommend it; great read even if you (as did the two aforementioned gentlemen) disagree with the truth of our religion.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by antlers
I run across very few people who actually have a problem with Jesus Himself; I run across very few people who actually have a problem with His teachings; and I actually run across very few people who have a problem with Jesus and the necessity of His death burial, and resurrection.
...that’s interesting. I have friendships with all kinds of people who object vehemently to their need. Other people maybe... some reject the human condition as conceived by Christianity altogether.
I get that, to many people, there are certain things about theism and God and Christianity in particular that are unsettling. On the other hand, to many people, there’s something about a godless universe where everything is reduced to the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology that’s unsettling as well.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Christianity is not a “set of principles intended to lead a person to a better way of life” but something altogether different. Christianity is a message from the One true God inviting men into communion with Him through the sacrifice of His Son. Now a right relationship with God will result in a better way of life for them and those around them but that isn’t the end goal.
word

I like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
... Christ and the necessity of His death, burial, and resurrection. That’s what I strive for when I discuss these things with people anyway... imperfectly...

Human ritual sacrifice had been practiced by variety
of civilizations for some millenia and it failed them,
despite them also putting much faith in such.

> Why would it work for Christians or
a Hebrew tribe of Bronze-Age antiquity ?

If anyone has an argument based on facts ,
well and good, but I don't really care for more
subjective make believe waffle and desparate
attempt quotes from an error filled Bible.

Originally Posted by efw
... That’s why we are in such dire need of His death on the cross; because we’re flawed humans who by our nature screw stuff up...

The biblical perfect God came out with a flawed
design....Why purposely design something to fail
then endlessly complain that it doesn't meet ones
own high 'perfect' standards?..then take it to
the extent of torturing and killing them simply
for being what they were orig. created to be?

Adam and Eve tale shows they were scripted
actors set up to be thrown under the bus. For
their 'bad choice' (and events leading up to such)
was all predestined.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Let's be clear. We are not "rejecting god(s)", we are rejecting claims made by theist due to a lack of sufficient evidence to support their claims.

Their God is real until proven otherwise is the stance
of some CF Christians...yet they reject same approach
being equally applied to others gods.

Then theres the Christian element that says you cant
prove my god dont exist, yet the world is still waiting
for Christians to prove many other gods are false.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
There’s been a big migration away from from Christianity in this country...especially the organized/institutional aspect of it. And it’s not because they find atheism so appealing, it’s because they find Christianity so unappealing. And certainly much of it ‘is’ the church’s fault. The reason that many people have disengaged from it, as I see it, is not because of the message...it’s because of the messengers. At the end of the day, the reason that many find it so unappealing, and so unscientific, and so irrational...is because of the messengers. The general public that Jesus interacted with...who were nothing like Him, liked Him, and He liked them back. If Christianity isn’t compelling or attractive nowadays, is it possible that much of it is because we don’t practice the same ‘version’ of it nowadays that He practiced Himself...?
I think there is a tendency on our part to think there was at some point in history (whether that be US, World, or Church) a “golden age”. People mess stuff up and people have always been messing stuff up. If you read the NT you see this and if you read Church history it’s also apparent. There was never a time when people acted like Jesus. He was the only perfect Jew and the only perfect Christian. That’s why we are in such dire need of His death on the cross; because we’re flawed humans who by our nature screw stuff up. I’d be ecstatic if we could get to a point where the only thing that offends people is Christ and the necessity of His death, burial, and resurrection. That’s what I strive for when I discuss these things with people anyway... imperfectly...Soli Deo Gloria
That's my point. I run across very few people who actually have a problem with Jesus Himself; I run across very few people who actually have a problem with His teachings; and I actually run across very few people who have a problem with Jesus and the necessity of His death, burial, and resurrection.

Responding to the declaration in the OP, and with regard to the three posts above, what I have found in Scripture, does not privide a single reason why a Christian would be justified in seeing himself/herself as being better, more important, or more deserving of rank than any other human being. We all are sinners and, as someone recently posted, Christian people are saved by grace. With that gift of grace, Christians also are charged with expectations for the conduct of their lives. Through the range of Christian behavior, in keeping with imperfection, not all Christians will live up to the expectations - even when trying diligently. It is the nature of the being. As duly noted, some people who are not Christians seem to try every bit as strongly to behave according to very moral and righteous standards. All of us are imperfect.

To the posts by efw and antlers about the Christian example as lived, one observation from here is that Christians automatically open them selves to criticism and judgement by non-Christians (and, by Christians as well) when they declare their commitments to God - and yet concomitantly fall short of the mark - as all will. Enough of this failure, in the minds of others, usually results in judgements of "hypocrisy". Such an assessment, whether or not accurate/true, can place a serious mark on the persona of the Christian. For the non-Christian who is a true seeker of belief, faith and salvation, the sight/feeling of such a hypocritical mark can be a significant deterrent. For the Non-Christian who is simply on the negative bent - seeking to to deny, denigrate, undermine the concept of Christian belief, the opportunity to cite any "hypocrisy"is a big sword. Such is life. Grace is essential, behavior matters a lot.

In keeping with your observation about non-Christians not finding fault with Jesus, His teachings, and the reason for His death and resurrection - that finding seems to ring true in my experiences. However, I have seen no absence of complaint, attack, derision and scorn with regard to many structures organized under the general banner of Christianity. We know plenty of examples of bad motives, bad behavior and bad outcomes perpetrated by humans professing to act under the Christian umbrella. As humans, we tend to detest hypocrisy and fraud. When those charges are made against Christian types, Christians must expect some determination of failures with regard to the commanded and expected witness.

One final view. I do not necessarily agree with the comment that people have been moving away from Christianity in recent times. But, I do think many have been distancing themselves from the evolved positions of some "Christian" organizations and from what seem to be gross examples of hypocrisy. The charge for Christians has not changed - and, as it ever has been, the challenges require introspection, assessment, improvement and even housecleaning.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post CCCC. It’s also likely detrimental for Christians to judge outsiders for not embracing the values of something they’ve never signed up for in the first place.

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
..The charge for Christians has not changed - and, as it ever has been, the challenges require introspection, assessment, improvement and even housecleaning.

I doubt they are truelly capable of house cleaning,
much like Law Enforcement and politicians they are
far more likely to keep accomodating the rot and
hypocrisy...Go after one's own tribe only as last resort
and at much peril.
Christian scripture even tells how everyone
failed and deserted Jesus in his time of need
in self preservation...but what can one expect
when his flock are the weak and sick.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
..The charge for Christians has not changed - and, as it ever has been, the challenges require introspection, assessment, improvement and even housecleaning.

I doubt they are truelly capable of house cleaning, much like Law Enforcement and politicians they are far are more likely to keep accomodating the rot and hypocrisy...Go after one's own tribe only as last resort and at much peril.
Christian scriopture even tells how everyone failed and deserted Jesus in his time of need.
I have no doubt about your doubt, and even could doubt that you understand the concept under review. Maybe it is due to the " scriopture" you have been consulting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCCC..talk is cheap , get to the 'house cleaning'
you suggest is required and show the results.

After your displays of blatant dishonesty
I don't count your words for much.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCCC..talk is cheap , get to the 'house cleaning' you suggest is required and show the results.After your displays of blatant dishonestyI don't count your words for much.
There you are Starfool - immediately resorting to the personal attacks and misspelled words. You are nothing if not consistent.

So, as you command - we comply and houseclean. Attention ! You are OUT of here - into the trash bin - down to the dumpster. Never to return.

Now - you dumpster divers out there - do not go in and pull him out.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by gunner500
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not?

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

Oh, make no mistake, you have a choice. Choose wisely. Its a choice for life or death. You get to choose for free. Which you choose matters not to me. You can even refuse to choose, and the choice will be made for you.

Sorry, thats the price you pay for life you see. Its a price not given to rocks.

Tbat said, i know your choice. You chose life.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/23/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by TF49
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not?

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

Pondering may be a choice. If your pondering leads you to a place where you are convinced that you have found the truth, you will beleive. On the other hand, if you find it all sounds absurd to you, and doesn't ring true, you won't beleive.

I could probably read and study Scientology for as long as I could bear it and not become a believer. Its simply too absurd and nonsensical for my mind to accept, I have no choice in that matter. Others, obviously, have a very different experience, and I have to assume its the same for them.

Bingo. Very well written.

As was Gone With The Wind.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Im pondering on whether to buy Bitcoin and SLV. Not pondering on where to spend eternity.

Ponder all you wish. Your pondering doesnt mean .....!

I Dindo Nuffin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regardless of who says this, that or the other, beliefs or convictions are justified through evidence, not faith. No good complaining, that's just how it is.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I dont want my choice justified yet. Its crappie and spring Turkey time for me.

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
CCCC..talk is cheap , get to the 'house cleaning' you suggest is required and show the results.After your displays of blatant dishonestyI don't count your words for much.
There you are Starfool - immediately resorting to the personal attacks and misspelled words. You are nothing if not consistent.

So, as you command - we comply and houseclean. Attention ! You are OUT of here - into the trash bin - down to the dumpster. Never to return.

Now - you dumpster divers out there - do not go in and pull him out.

I'm with Starman. Your responses have been elusive and evasive - certainly comes across as dishonesty.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I suppose George Washington just wasnt a strong, manly guy.

Isaac Potts recounted this incident to his pastor.

https://www.meetamerica.com/george-washingtons-prayer-at-valley-forge/#:~:text=Nathaniel%20Randolph%20Snowden.,in%20the%20Valley%20Forge%20woods.

https://www.meetamerica.com/george-washingtons-prayer-at-valley-forge/#:~:text=Nathaniel%20Randolph%20Snowden.,in%20the%20Valley%20Forge%20woods.

The story of Washington kneeling in prayer originated from Isaac Potts, who recounted it some 40 years after it happened to his pastor, Rev. Nathaniel Randolph Snowden. The story was included in Rev. Snowden’s book, “Diary and Remembrances” in hopes that it would be protected for posterity. As the story goes, Potts was riding alone one day when he found General Washington praying alone in the Valley Forge woods. Potts was originally against the war, but was moved and had a change of heart upon seeing Washington in prayer.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 21 of 27 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.