Campfire Regular
I see no point to the test.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Interesting response from those who have never even been a mere 2000 meters above sea level in a snow storm and high winds

Years ago caught in surprise storm near summit of Mt Ranier and had to wait it out overnight and that’s a fraction of Everest . And they can get helicopters in their to rescue. Gives one perspective.

Like when you dive and get deeper than a 125 feet. You know you’re phigged if anything goes wrong , very little chance of rescue but you should go in knowing the risks.

The serious Mountaineers do.

Last edited by ribka; 04/04/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would venture to guess most of them are self loathing liberal pukes with more money and ego than brains..... so as usual Flave is correct.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll jump in with a little alternative perspective:

After the Corps, I was traveling around climbing a lot. Until bad accident almost killed me. Wind River Range. Lumpy Ridge. Half Dome. Devil's Tower.

I didn't do it to talk with non climbers about it. They're not impressed, and usually think you're crazy.

I did it because it's a freaking amazing rush.

The view from the top of Devil's Tower. Taken while enjoying a beer:

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

A few days later:

I was actively searching for the rush I got in the Corps. It's pretty hard to replicate, and if you find a way to do it, it's not gonna be safe.

Being dropped 54 feet by a knot-pass mistake by my belay cured me from trying to replicate the rush.

Mostly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
I would venture to guess most of them are self loathing liberal pukes with more money and ego than brains..... so as usual Flave is correct.

IMO, quite the opposite.

Ain't nobody to blame when you're on lead. Liberals need others to blame.

Granted, I got outta the game a long time ago.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hot chick...stop. otherwise...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Sharp had enough experience to know what he was getting into and the price of failure. In the climbing community the moral question is not about risk and rescues. The question is whether one should participate if dependent on the Sherpas and guides to shoulder most of the risk and labor. The vast majority of Everest climbers are ego driven peak baggers who wouldn't get past the icefall on their own.

The Sherpas fix rope through all the technical ground and crevasses and preplace the camps and carry the loads. This makes it possible for otherwise unprepared people to engage in a sport because other people take the major risks for them. Real climbers enjoy being self sufficient in unforgiving environments. That is a major part of the appeal of playing in the big mountains.

mike r

Statistically, you're looking at a group of mostly rich liberal phugks who don't GAS about anyone else, anyway. They skim right past the first chapter that details the sherpas' involvement and hide-saving preparations.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Uh...it’s pretty well known by all who go up there that if you have any trouble, you are more than likely on your own. I would wager that if it were possible to tell, there have been far more instances of handfuls of people trying to help someone on Everest resulting in everyone dying than of instances where people in bad shape were successfully rescued.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
My wife's cousin is still up there. He wasn't portrayed correctly in the book - written by the client of a rival guide. The movie was a bit more accurate. He was good man.

Hell'uva thing calling your wife and saying good-bye while waiting to die.

Rob Hall?

That is the harsh reality of Everest. Trying to save Doug killed two. And that reality is why people left David Sharp . We judge from sea level or whatever your altitude is. Next time a jet flys over at cruising altitude, look up, THAT is the reality of where they go. Everyone that climbs Everest accepts that risk and reality.

Scott Fischer

So how accurate was the movie?
They portray Scott as having a disdain for people who couldn’t get to the top themselves, yet (in the movie) it was his Sherpa dragging a client to the top of the mountain .
Last the movie also portrayed Scott dying because he took
Personal risks that he should had known better. Was that a misrepresentation?

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by goalie

The view from the top of Devil's Tower. Taken while enjoying a beer:

The view from my deck is pretty darn good too, and doesn’t require Medevac.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You’d get way more pussy at bars and parties if you abandoned your $50k on the mountain to help a climber who was going to die.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That'd be some expensive p*ssy.........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole

It’s all expensive.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by smokepole

It’s all expensive.

I might drive 6 hours for p8ssy but I ain't climbing 5 miles in the air - at no point in my life

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[

They portray Scott as having a disdain for people who couldn’t get to the top themselves, yet (in the movie) it was his Sherpa dragging a client to the top of the mountain .

The movie is inaccurate mostly because of omission. Characters in a movie are rarely good composites of the actual people they represent. I had read books and articles about Hall and Fischer before 1996, and all the accounts of the 1996 tragedy. I acquired the spirit and descriptions of these men from the authors of those articles and books..........all of them fellow climbers. I didn't like the movie.

Scott Fischer likely over-extended himself by helping a friend down from Camp II to Base Camp, and turning around to reclimb the mountain. But Scott was an extraordinarily strong climber.......much admired by his clients and other climbers for his abilities. The above, and the friendly competition between Fischer and Hall to get their respective journalists to the top, and the attendant publicity by doing so, jaundiced their respective decision making.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Everest climbers are not duty-bound, like a soldier is, to put themselves in danger, and assume deadly risks.

I would imagine there are a good percentage of those who die up there, who, in their last minutes and hours of life, are humbled for the very first time.

Would I help? I can't even say. I would never be up there. Generally I am a person who would help a stranger in distress, in most situations.

Up there, the rules change. Each person's window for success and survival is very tight. It would have to be a decision based on all the immediate circumstances.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Who knows, I might say...'hey dude, you got any extra oxy bottle you won't be needing?'.....grin.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I wouldn't cross the street to piss on his burning hair.
If you spend your life digging holes, fk you when you fall in one.
Tough titty said the kitty.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GrandView
[

The movie is inaccurate mostly because of omission. Characters in a movie are rarely good composites of the actual people they represent. I had read books and articles about Hall and Fischer before 1996, and all the accounts of the 1996 tragedy. I acquired the spirit and descriptions of these men from the authors of those articles and books..........all of them fellow climbers. I didn't like the movie.

Scott Fischer likely over-extended himself by helping a friend down from Camp II to Base Camp, and turning around to reclimb the mountain. But Scott was an extraordinarily strong climber.......much admired by his clients and other climbers for his abilities. The above, and the friendly competition between Fischer and Hall to get their respective journalists to the top, and the attendant publicity by doing so, jaundiced their respective decision making.

So the basic premise of the movie is correct. Both men , experienced climbers made poor decisions.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Anyone fool enough to risk their life going up there just so they can talk about it and brag deserves whatever happens.

Wake up to this!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,474
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.