Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

How many were Tuckerized?

It's not just Cecil Tucker, I have had a couple but Bob Brackney improved on it.

Love my Brackney/ Leupold but my regular competition Leupold's work just fine also.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
It's not just Cecil Tucker, I have had a couple but Bob Brackney improved on it. Love my Brackney/ Leupold but my regular competition Leupold's work just fine also.

My LV gun when I was working with a frozen Sightron and TSI mount. Sharped eyed types will notice the Beggs tuner, also.

Good shootin'. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by jorgeI
At the recent National Small Bore competition in PA, below is a survey of equipment used. I guess most of these guys didn't get the memo on Leupolds....

EQUIPMENT SURVEY LISTING - SMALLBORE HUNTING RIFLE SILHOUETTE

SCOPE MANUFACTURER
BSA 1
BURRIS 1
BUSHNELL 1
EAGLE EYE 0
MEOTPA 0
NIGHTFORCE 0
PREMIER 3
REDFIELD 1
NIKON 1
LEUPOLD 81
SIMMONS 0
SWAROVSKI 0
TASCO 1
VORTEX 3
OTHER 3
SIGHTRON 3
WEAVER 6

Shooting low recoil rimfires at 100 yards or less....
dave

Yes, but many proclaim Leupy's lose zero just sitting in the safe.

JG:

I have had them loose zero sitting in the safe. The other issue I've experienced is wandering zero, wherein you can still shoot a tight group , but it's in a different spot than it was the last time you shot the rig. I used to blame it on wood stocks, hold position/technique, atmosphere, etc, etc. But then I took notice that some wood/blued never did it while some SS/synthetics did it regularly - guess the common denominator. I also noticed it when you'd all of a sudden get a "flyer" 3/4-1<” out and the next group would then be tight around the previous groups' flyer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Full disclosure......I had a 6.5-20X40 gloss Vari-XIII fail back in the early 90's.

Bought the scope (open box)......at a closing gun shop in Davenport, at a very good price.

Kicked the bipod leg on a Wyoming prairie dog hunt and the rifle/scope tapped a small rock. Scope was one complete turn off in windage, after that.

Sent the scope back......returned in 14 days......invoice said windage adjustments were stripped.....no charge.

Suspect a previous customer installed the scope with STD Leupold bases/rings........stripping windage adjustments trying to zero....returning scope.

No other failures.......with over 60 Leupolds on various 'hunting' rifles since. Most mounted in dual dovetail or QR's....lapped.

Conquests, 3200's, 4200's are OK, too.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I typically don't get involved in the Leopold fire pissing contest anymore.
It's been a number of years ago now. But in my time messing with Leopold's flippy erector in short range BR.
A 6 mm PPC bench gun that would shoot an aggregate in the .150s all of a sudden would be lucky to shoot a half inch group. It happened to me repeatedly across three different Leopold Bench rest scopes.
Did the Leopold Mary go around with United parcel service for a while. One on the gun one in transit to Oregon and another one either ready to go to Oregon or ready to go on the gun.
Finally got them tuckerized which resolved the problem completely.
Never had a stock Leopold go over 950 rounds without having the erector float. Very common problem.
I'm reminded of being at the rifle range seeing some poor sap sitting there pounding on his deer rifle shooting inch and a half groups saying repeatedly that the rifle used to shoot tighter than that and of course it almost in every case there was a Leopold on top.
Sad.
From what I've read its only gone down hill.
For competition I run March and Nightforce.
For hunting it's S&B.
I simply don't have time to mess with an inferior rifle optic.
That they're using them in the short range silhouette game. Doesn't surprise me. They're cheap they're light and they're running them on a 12 lb rifle that has virtually no recoil.
Sounds like a good place for them.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Dave

IT turns into a pissing contest because people like YOU turn it into one. All I did was publish a data sheets with numbers. PERIOD. YOU then came back with YOUR theories and Pugs pretty well handed you your ass. Now you come back with YOUR anecdotal evidence (which I am not doubting in the least) about Leupolds and I related how I shoot more heavy kicking rifles than most here (including you), but yet that doesn't count. And while I have your attention, I own quite a few scopes INCLUDING a top of the line S&B and in my opinion, given similar scopes, they are OVERPRICED AND UNDER DELIVER. A fool and their money are soon parted (hint).

J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the BSA guy win??😜

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Dave

IT turns into a pissing contest because people like YOU turn it into one. All I did was publish a data sheets with numbers. PERIOD.

Regarding "strictly data/numbers", I wonder how many of the 81 are using a currently available model Leupold vs. say the long discontinued fixed 16x that seems to be the "grail" scope for that discipline.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1

Dave

IT turns into a pissing contest because people like YOU turn it into one. All I did was publish a data sheets with numbers. PERIOD.

Regarding "strictly data/numbers", I wonder how many of the 81 are using a currently available model Leupold vs. say the long discontinued fixed 16x that seems to be the "grail" scope for that discipline.

That is certainly a fair and valid question I don't have an answer for....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Jorge

I do shoot a lot of big bores and other hard kickers, and the past few years I’ve had several Leupolds crap out. They can’t take the pounding for many years before something let’s go. Buy a Trijicon or a NF and forget it.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
But you posted that this was a National Competition, which I took to mean that it was a high/elite level competition. Every serious competition shooter who I've interacted with has been willing to spend freely on gear and ammo if spending that money would help him lose a fraction of an inch of group size. Maybe National Competition shooters in PA are more casual than those who I have met.

One of the things about silhouette is it's set up with a classification system that allows everyone, from a beginning shooter up through master class, to compete with their peers. As you get better in NRA registered matches you move up through the classes B > A > AA > AAA > Masters. There is no qualification program to go to Nationals and IIRC there were on the order of a dozen "B" class shooters. In all likelihood that's where you see the less expensive equipment.

While a really hard shooting discipline to excel at, everyone can enjoy a pig target flopping over. I started with a CZ with Leupold 2.5-8X with a CDS turret I took off my .243, then to a Cooper with a Nikon 4-16 before I just said screw it and make sure I miss and not the rifle and went to the Anschutz 1712 with a 25X Leupold.

Pugs, when I was shooting High Power and Small Bore Silhouette the thing I enjoyed the most was the turkey flopping over! Those SOB's were the toughest thing to hit with the chickens coming in second.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by John55
Jorge

I do shoot a lot of big bores and other hard kickers, and the past few years I’ve had several Leupolds crap out. They can’t take the pounding for many years before something let’s go. Buy a Trijicon or a NF and forget it.

NFs are bulky. I do have a Trijicon on a 375 and so far so good. I've had a Leupold on my 416 Rigby AND 340 Weatherby for close to 20 years and no problems, but I do understand and recognize issues with the newer scopes. Still, in the end, I was just publishing DATA with No editorializing on my part other than the obvious tongue in cheek title...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Pugs, when I was shooting High Power and Small Bore Silhouette the thing I enjoyed the most was the turkey flopping over! Those SOB's were the toughest thing to hit with the chickens coming in second.

Years ago when my father and I shot in IHMSA the turkeys were the trouble for us too.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not surprised at all. I hated shooting at turkeys, if I could I would start with them and get those SOB's out of the way.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by horse1
I wonder how many of the 81 are the long-since unavailable fixed 16x???

I still own north of 60 Leupold scopes all but a dozen or so mounted on rifles from 22LR through 375H&H. That said, any rifles I own that I use myself for big-game hunting have had their Leuopolds replaced with Nightforce NXS or SHV 2.5-10x42 or 3-10x42. Most of the supplanted Leupold's were/are Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 A/O or Vari-X II 4-12x40 A/O, all of them having been to the custom/repair shop at least once for M-1 elevation turrets. I'll admit, I kind of miss 14x when punching paper, but, it doesn't make the least bit of difference to me when actually hunting.

horse',

Confessions of a Sinner...I've had a coupla hunnert Reupolds. Hint.

I shot the objective element loose on one of them olldddddd 16x Reupolds(short silver turret bitches). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Shot newer(than the 16x pictured) 12x's apart too. Hint.

Scattered a Reupold Mk4 M1 16x's reticle too. Hint.

Due the AMAZINGLY modest "corrections" in Sillywet,I'd happily take an etched reticle that actually meant sumptin',track and repeated...if only for a fhuqking change. Hint.(grin)

Interestingly,in REAL Shooting ala Rimfire,where corrections are well beyond hilariously fhuqking trite,Reupold sets purty lonely. NO fhuqking "surprise" there though. Hint. (grin)

NRL 22 Equipment List from 2018 tally. Hint.

RINK To Article For Melting Snowflakes

'Course those rifles ain't Safe Queens either.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not surprised at all. I hated shooting at turkeys, if I could I would start with them and get those SOB's out of the way.

I always liked starting on turkeys, if I had a good run of them at the start then I knew I was on my game, and if I had a poor run on them I still had 30 animals left to make up for a poor start. The worse thing in the world was to finish on turkeys after having a poor run on the other animals, they are hard to play catch-up on when you need 8 or 10 of them to catch up.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by drover

I always liked starting on turkeys, if I had a good run of them at the start then I knew I was on my game, and if I had a poor run on them I still had 30 animals left to make up for a poor start. The worse thing in the world was to finish on turkeys after having a poor run on the other animals, they are hard to play catch-up on when you need 8 or 10 of them to catch up.

drover

Agreed.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Like the majority of silhouette shooters I used a Leupold, generally a 6.5-20x40, because a lot of the ranges I shot were windy and on a windy day I could turn the magnification down to lessen the apparent wobble so it wasn't so distracting.

My tracking issues went away after talking to a Leupold tech, he said that by moving the scope elevation/windage adjustments within a limited range from the zero setting and up to eleven minutes or so that eventually the grease on the threads wipes off and caused sticking in the adjustment. He advised that from time to time that the adjustments be "exercised" by runnng them from stop to stop and redistributing the grease. I started doing that and my elevation/windage adjustments worked just fine after that.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I don't remember all the scopes I used but two stick out, a Leupold 12x and a Weaver T-10.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fhuqk YES!!!

Now there's "MAGIC 11 MOA Reupold Erector Grease"! You CLUELESS Fhuqks never disappoint,by simply doing your BEST! Hint.

Used to "contend" the HUGE corrections requisite,on targets well beyond 2MOA in relative sizing. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.