Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I always looked at the 7-08 as another version of the 7x57 Mauser, just slightly not as good. However since I got a Model 7 7-08 it gets all the use the 7x57 did and brass is far easier to make or get. Doesn't hurt that the 7-08 is 2 pounds lighter than my 7x57.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rickt300
I always looked at the 7-08 as another version of the 7x57 Mauser, just slightly not as good. However since I got a Model 7 7-08 it gets all the use the 7x57 did and brass is far easier to make or get. Doesn't hurt that the 7-08 is 2 pounds lighter than my 7x57.

Simple preference?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Unfortunately my Nikon Monarch Gold that had been very solid for years has developed a rattle.
That's usually not a good sign but you know I had an old Japanese Tasco World Class that developed a rattle and it kept on working fine for years.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My buddy’s Mom dropped her rifle getting out of her tower stand one year. Rifle fell about 10’ and landed on the scope, a Leupold of some variety. She asked me to check the zero for her and I obliged. The picture was still clear and the scope held zero. Can’t complain about that.

2 years ago I was on my first elk hunt with two of my friends and my buddy busted his butt while he has his rifle slung on his shoulder. The scope landed on a rock or something hard and the elevation knob was dented. He was worried about the scope so we checked zero. Still spot on. He can’t get the cover off the elevation turret now, so he says it will just have to stay zeroed like it is. grin

Last edited by Jeffrey; 01/07/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Unfortunately my Nikon Monarch Gold that had been very solid for years has developed a rattle.
That's usually not a good sign but you know I had an old Japanese Tasco World Class that developed a rattle and it kept on working fine for years.

In this case it is a loose lens and causes groups like buckshot.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Blackheart,

Are you trying to replace Llama Bob?
Don't know who the hell that is but if the cutesy little sentimental musings and boring ballistic gac spouted by loonies in adoring admiration of certain cartridges makes him want to retch we may be related.

No, it didn't make him want to retch, he was an expert and it made him wax poetic and rhapsodically.
That's much better !

I thought you'd say that, being a poetic kind of guy yourself.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

In this case it is a loose lens and causes groups like buckshot.
Can you get service on those from Nikon anymore ? I have a Nikon I like a great deal and have wondered about that now that they're out of the scope business.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I haven't yet tried to find out. They used to be bitchy about purchase receipts and there's no way in hell I have that from 16+ years ago.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Can’t we all just like all the different cartridges and get along?

whistle

I enjoy using a variety of different cartridges and have no problem with anybody else's personal preferences. What will provoke me to drop a comment here and there is when someone says something technically inaccurate or tries to dress up personal bias as a logical argument.

You are just far too logical, mathman. wink

My safe has a Creed, a Swede, a 7-08 and a Roberts, all racked peacefully, sitting side by side among their safe mates.....

Have never heard them fighting. And they don't "snoot" each other about their Brux, Hart and Shilen barrels, equal opportunity and diversity rules.

I will say the Creed is about the most forgiving of the lot, shooting about any and every load combo well.

They all shine when fed what they like, the Creed being the least picky.

But, I like them all, have killed stuff with them all. And the critters they've shot, die.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM
Nah, I don't do any real hunting. I just killed six deer, two bucks and four does, in three weeks back in mid Nov. -

Nice work, I had no idea New York's bag limits were that liberal.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

MM
Nah, I don't do any real hunting. I just killed six deer, two bucks and four does, in three weeks back in mid Nov. -

Nice work, I had no idea New York's bag limits were that liberal.

Only an issue if you get caught....

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My safe has a Creed, a Swede, a 7-08 and a Roberts, all racked peacefully, sitting side by side among their safe mates.....

Have never heard them fighting.

So a Creed, a Swede, and a Roberts walk into a bar.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Puddle
7mm-08 started out with factory ammo that sucked. WTG Remington. The CM didn't.

Now the 7mm-08 has some great factory ammo.

Sorta the same way that Big Green hosed over the .280 Rem. way back when.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have Creedmoor and 7mm-08’s, both kill great if you put bullets in their engine rooms. Recoil is about the same with bullets of the same weight.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Have never heard them fighting.

So a Creed, a Swede, and a Roberts walk into a bar.......

grin

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
must be winter and most of the hunting seasons are over in America for normal big game animals ? so its my cartridge is better than yours and i killed more deer than you did time on the keyboard ? WTF all these cartridges will kill game and bragging how many animals you killed is childish ,i bet the peta people are listening ? what we need on this site is a post from Big Stick !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[/quote] Whatever man, the cartridge bores the shyt out of me and always has. Plus everybody I've known in the 42 years since it was introduced who held it as a favorite was a great big dorky ass hole so there's another strike. I'll never own one myself.

That's pretty impressive....
[/quote]

By God, ain't it?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bigger shoulders, (.462” vice .454” ),
30 degree shoulder angle, for less pressure variance.
OAL fits in a 2.8” magazine better with higher SD ( long ) bullets ,
without poking so much back into the cartridges precious powder space.

What more could you ask ?

I’d like one built on a 3.34” magazine , Sort of a 6.5-280 Improved 30, but with the CM taper & neck-shoulder dimensions.

Not quite a 6.5 Wby RPM , but almost.

Maybe in a 3.5” magazine, Ya Follow

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by pete53
must be winter and most of the hunting seasons are over in America for normal big game animals ? so its my cartridge is better than yours and i killed more deer than you did time on the keyboard ? WTF all these cartridges will kill game and bragging how many animals you killed is childish ,i bet the peta people are listening ? what we need on this site is a post from Big Stick !

Haven’t you heard? The hobbit doesn’t post in this forum anymore. He and Llama Bob are calling each other names in another forum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the 6.5CM and the 7-08 also. However, when in the field I prefer the Swede, or the .280…..

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.