Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that 400 of Elmers is a helluva nice one. Holy smokes.

Semper Fi
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
whelenhunter has been busy since last I looked at the loads list.

Sir Jerry,

Check your load "view" here and tell me if I need to change anything:

[Linked Image]

The 400-gr Woodleigh RNSN is a mildly compressed load in unfired new brass, and just about exactly 100% LR/net fill with fire-formed brass.
I might ought to edit out the "C" next to the 68.0-gr powder charge if the velocity of 2255 fps was done with once-fired brass.
I might ought to leave it in and say the load is a fire-forming load, mildly compressed and probably over 50,000 psi,
since it gives such a pretty shoulder. LOL.

That looks good Sir Ron, wish they had a starting load column, the 400gr Woodleigh solid gives a bit more compression because of length, the action is a modern built Dumoulin-Herstal 98 Mauser, they were 300 bucks at Sarco, makes a great action to build on, i'm looking forward to seeing your M-77 Ruger rigged out and slinging lead! ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
... if 2267 fps at 18 yards away, i was wondering what the true velocity/energy numbers would be, that fired hull on the chrono is a thing of beauty, the primer is perfect, no bolt raceway smear, no firing pin protrusion, the case fell from the chamber like they always have, and pockets remain tight, case head measurement before and after firing remains negligible ...
... i'll go back and trim all fired cases to 2.480 inch and call it good for i bet several more firings, the cases shouldn't grow much at all with that abrupt shoulder, speaking of shoulder, i'll take .459" all day long as i only size .411" length of the neck on fired brass ...
That rifle is a little 9.5 lb all up with 6 rounds on board, accurate, great functioning machine, my old 'Smith did a fine job as usual.

Sir Jerry,
Using BC for the Woodleigh 400-gr RNSN as 0.307 G1,
plug and chug in RCBS external ballistics calculator:

MV = 2315 fps and KE = 4760 ft-lbs if 18 YARD velocity was 2267 fps. HOLY COW.
Did you mean 18 feet or 6 yards ? Truly at 18 yards ?

You might have gotten one of those long-brass-pinches with brass stretch on firing (springs back if no bad-kaboom happens),
and got your pressure/velocity up even if not severe enough to cause problems.
I am especially strict on brass length since a teachable moment happened to me. I am self-taught on this one.

I once was tooling around on purpose with a cartridge very much like the .400 Whelen-Petrov
except that it had a chamber minimum length of 2.509" instead of 2.501",
and it had same neck-2 diameter (case mouth) but a neck-1 of 0.003" tighter at shoulder junction,
and it had 0.112" longer parallel-sided free-bore than the .400 Whelen-Petrov's 0.188" length.

On purpose, like a dumb adze, I was tooling around with firing brass cases that were all trimmed to 2.504" to 2.505"
A dumb adze is not the sharpest tool in the toolbox.
Let us say I successfully fired 3 loads of 400-gr .411 Woodleigh RNSN at a 100 yard target, with so-so accuracy,
then on the 4th shot velocity spiked a bit and the primer fell out of the case when the bolt was opened with no difficulty.
MV of that 4th shot was a bit over 2400 fps.

The average of all 4 shots was only 2398 fps MV, helped a lot by that 4th shot.
That 4th shot might have been a little longer in the brass than the others, like 2.505" instead of 2.504".
But maybe they were all stretch-pinching at the case mouths on firing.

Trimming all .400 Whelen-Petrov brass to 2.480" and letting it grow to no more than 2.490" is written in stone for me now.

I am braindead Sir, 18 feet, six long steps away from the chrono to sit and fire on the back porch load shop slab.

I trim new brass to 2.500", neck down enough to have a good crush on bolt closing fit, re-check and trim back to 2.500" after neck down, load and fire, most cases are at 2.490" after fire form, i thought that was GTG, but will trim another 0.010 off cases for safety and uniformity, all loaded cases after fire form load and unload like greased glass, can still barely feel that 0.459 shoulder at closing, PERFECT, i dont touch it when re-sizing only 0.411/0.412 of the neck length for plenty of tension to hold without crimp.

I've never felt any bind/pinch sort of deal, we can see from the load recipe workup i was only getting an increase of 20 fps per grain of powder with those 2.500" cases when i stopped at 2255 fps, that told me all was smooth sailing.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry,
OK, I am going to edit and add your 60, 63, 65, 67 charges to the 68.0-gr charge as max load.
Separate line for each powder charge is how they do it at ammoguide.com.
They are all going to be commented on as fire-forming loads with only the 68.0 grain charge shown as compressed.
After fire-forming, the loads will differ little in velocity or pressure and no question of utter reliability on headspacing.
I will note your comments on neck sizing to maintain full shoulder diameter.
And I will put a corrected to MV note in the comments but show the chrono velocity at 6 yards in the load table entry.

BTW, to correct a 6-yard velocity of 2267 to MV with a BC of 0.307 G1, add 16 fps >>> 2283 fps, 4629 ft-lbs KE.

Whelenhunter's load with the 400-gr Swift A-Frame in a different rifle, though also using CFE-223 is a different kettle of fish.
I did not know the bullet existed, wonder if it might be a re-sized .416", will have to look at his comments on the load.
My "Swift Reloading Manual Number Two" shows a 350-gr/0.410" A-Frame used in .405 WCF loads.
That would be a good bullet in the .400 Whelen.
Minus .001" is fine for jacketed bullets, might reduce pressure and velocity.
Matching bullet diameter to groove diameter is better: .411" in .400 Whelen-Petrov.
Shooting +.001" or .412" in a .411" groove with jacketed bullets gets pressures up.
Captain obvious told me so.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sir Ron,

Perfect, sounds great, an hour ago i went and grabbed a fire-formed and reloaded round with 400gr Woodleigh soft with 68gr CFE-223 and gave it a shake next to my ear, what do you know, i heard the powder, it's not even compressed after fire-form, Great!

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then forget the fire-forming mumbo-jumbo. 5 loads from 60.0 to 68.0 grains with 68.0 grains being a full case, non-compressed load, noted as maximum.
The velocities are ballpark anyway for anyone with a different rifle, and are not much different from fire-forming to formed-case firing,
in the .400 Whelen-Petrov case, another weak pun intended.

If anything, that would be a safety margin with the use of fire-formed brass for assembling the real-deal, hunting ammo.
I SWAG your 68-grain load is less than 60,000 psi.

Looks like the slower burning, heavier-charged, more compact CFE-223 ball powder
gives the faster burning, lighter-charged, bulkier H4895 a run for the money.

Which of the two powders is more temperature independent is a possible bonus for H4895.

BTW my "proof-of-goof" load was with compressed H4895, 67.0 grains,
only about 107% LR/net fill compressed without drop tube use,
in that cartridge so similar to the .400 Whelen-Petrov.
DON"T TRY THAT AT HOME WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

Will report back here when I get the CFE-223 loads posted at ammoguide.com.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't think the Hammer 400gr would work in the 400W. Monometal bullets are LONG. RC's 400 B would likely work, but in a standard Whelen its just likely too long. Heh even 400 gr North Forks that are partially lead, are extremely long for that case.

I did contact Hawk, and they'd be happy to try the 350 and/or 400 RN with .50 or .65 jackets to make a tough- game worthy bullet. A spitzer they said is difficult, and while not impossible (i mean they make a SP in 416...) they'd likely pass on the project.

Ideally, if what's currently cataloged, the NF 360 would be the best all around 400W bullet. 360 puts it right at .3 SD, you only need to go up to about 2250 and maybe a bit more to hit that mythical 4000 ft-lbs, and it would have slightly better "long" range performance compared to those R2D2 looking 400gr round noses. But they're back ordered, and EXPENSIVE

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a fair amount of experience with a 416 Taylor on bison. Used the Hornady 400 grain soft nose and Speer 350 soft. They both worked very well. Only remember recovering one Speer. Nicely expanded and five feet of penetration. The Hornady 400s all went out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is how Sir Jerry's submaximal loads are detailed, all referring to more details in the final, max load:

[Linked Image]

Here is Sir Jerry's max load with some extra 'splainin' done:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In this book Elmer Keith 'splained that he fire-formed his brass by hunting rabbits and paper targets with 300-grainers,
then loaded the tougher 350-grainers hot, for elk and such:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another favorite passage from the book.

[Linked Image]

And here is that beloved passage from the 1936 THE RIFLEMAN article on the .400 Whelen:

"I like to do all my hunting before I shoot, and the .400 Whelen, an old Sharps Creedmoor .45-120-550,
and two Winchesters in .35 and .405 caliber, are the only rifles I have been able to do this (with) when hunting elk."

Of course Elmer got out a bit more and tried some other rifles after 1936.
Also note that in 1936 Elmer referenced his .400 Whelen rifle by James Howe which he wrote up in an early 1924 article.
But in the 1946 book he recalled he got it in hand in 1925.
The rifle could have been held onto by Howe for a while as a display at his shop,
or Elmer is carefree in dating, +/- one year is OK.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a couple of articles on the .400 Brown Whelen from 1991 and 2006 publications.
The author of the latter basically followed what the former author did.
Their load data are the weak sisters to what the .400 Whelen-Petrov does with aplomb.
The whole purpose of the .400 Brown Whelen seems to have been fear caused by
improperly chambered and loaded "supposed .400 Whelen rifles" of the past.
After Michael Petrov the .400 Brown Whelen has become more obscure.
Best thing about those two articles is how well they illustrate the "reversed XTP" fiire-forming method,
which is how I do it.
Why heck, I might have learned how to do it from them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If one were fearful of the .400 Whelen headspacing, one could make the reamer shoulder diameter 0.461" minimum instead of 0.458".
One could also get rid of the neck taper in the .400 Whelen-Petrov chamber,
make a zero-taper neck with same Neck-1 and Neck-2 diameter minimums in the chamber..
I have a feeling that is what the .400 Brown Whelen did, but I have never seen a reamer drawing for it.
The .400 Whelen-Petrov is little different, but it is less prone to failure in combat feed mode,
in untidy environments and impolite situations.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Also have killed a pile of bison with 1895 in 405WCF. The Hornady 300 grain flat nose is pretty soggy so went to the RCBS 350 grain gas check sized to .413. That worked real well on elk, deer and black bear. Cast from tire weights, water dropped and aged. Never recovered one of those either in an animal.
Mr. Keith certainly loved his 400 Whelen as did his father.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great articles RC. I especially like the Keith write up.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mike78
What the heck is with all the sir, saint and lady stuff?

What jwp475 aka Sir John said.
Knights of the Square Table are champions of the .458 Winchester Magnum.
Saint is for those Knights gone on to the happy Hunting Ground.
Lady is just for good manners, not all is tongue in cheek.

BTW, Sir John,
Not saying smokeless won't work with paper patched bullets.
It is just a different kettle of fish regarding bullet diameters and whether the bullets are
heavy-for-caliber and soft versus light-for-caliber and hard,
and other variations to boot,
including jacketed versus cast lead, and BP versus smokeless.

I do have an article by Ross Seyfried filed away, pertinent to paper patch and smokeless loads:
"Paper Patched Bullets" HANDLOADER 220 Dec-Jan 2003, pp. 58-65.

"Modern rifles are often quite happy to use patched bullets.
Once again, where it might be difficult to get reasonable accuracy
from a .30-06 with bare lead bullets and velocity over 2000 fps,
it can be very easy to approach the magical inch groups with paper patches.
Further, while I have not pushed the system as far,
others have achieved reasonable accuracy out of 'magnums' with velocity over 3,000 fps.
I had a stock Ruger No. 1 .458 Winchester Magnum that was absolutely in love with patched bullets.
Inch groups were the norm at 2,100 to 2,200 fps, even with pure lead bullets.

"One more bizarre use of paper patches, in conjunction with 'modern rifles'
is making undersize jacketed bullets fit the rifle.
I have successfully fitted .458-inch bullets to .470 Nitro rifles ..."

Thanks, fantasy roll play for old guys.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Then forget the fire-forming mumbo-jumbo. 5 loads from 60.0 to 68.0 grains with 68.0 grains being a full case, non-compressed load, noted as maximum.
The velocities are ballpark anyway for anyone with a different rifle, and are not much different from fire-forming to formed-case firing,
in the .400 Whelen-Petrov case, another weak pun intended.

If anything, that would be a safety margin with the use of fire-formed brass for assembling the real-deal, hunting ammo.
I SWAG your 68-grain load is less than 60,000 psi.

Looks like the slower burning, heavier-charged, more compact CFE-223 ball powder
gives the faster burning, lighter-charged, bulkier H4895 a run for the money.

Which of the two powders is more temperature independent is a possible bonus for H4895.

BTW my "proof-of-goof" load was with compressed H4895, 67.0 grains,
only about 107% LR/net fill compressed without drop tube use,
in that cartridge so similar to the .400 Whelen-Petrov.
DON"T TRY THAT AT HOME WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

Will report back here when I get the CFE-223 loads posted at ammoguide.com.

Great, Thank you Sir Ron, BTW, Swift does make a .410" 400gr Aframe, i used that bullet in my 400 H&H at 2400 fps Sept/Oct-2020 in Tanzania to take:

Leopard, 70 yards, out of blind.
Warthog, 169 yards off sticks.
Hartebeest, 221 yards, prone.
Waterbuck, 228 yards off sticks.
Zebra, 277 yards, prone.

These 40's are great rifles too.

Those that worry about long bullets in the 400 Whelen, fear not, the 400gr Woodleigh solid is 1.412 long, my rifle with standard Petrov chamber will take that bullet at a COL of 3.325" long, may even go 3.340", never let it out that much, meaning any spitzer shaped bullet should run fine at max mag box length of 3.340"

Another reason i have no fear using the 416 cal 400gr partitions after Sir Ron draws em down for me, that bullet at 416 dia is 1.485 long, no problem, the .411" 400gr A-Frame is 1.405 inch, the .411" 300gr Barnes TSX is 1.290 inch, let er rip men, you have room to work.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, that 400 of Elmers is a helluva nice one. Holy smokes.

Yessir it is Big B, rich history and knowledge can be gleaned in these old documents.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah man. I love reading those old articles.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gunner the bullets you listed indeed will work fine. I was specifically talking about the mono's or mostly brass bullets being too long. This is the 300 TSX, 400 Woodleigh and 400 North Fork CPS. The NF is noticeably longer, and I think a 400 gr mono spitzer is going to be even longer still

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
gibbet crossword

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Give me RL-15 in the big 400 (66.5 in Remington cases with 300 grainers), all else is twaddle.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Gunner the bullets you listed indeed will work fine. I was specifically talking about the mono's or mostly brass bullets being too long. This is the 300 TSX, 400 Woodleigh and 400 North Fork CPS. The NF is noticeably longer, and I think a 400 gr mono spitzer is going to be even longer still

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
gibbet crossword

Ten four MHS, agreed on the 400gr monos, same/same with .338, 375, .416 and .458, several PH's in Africa have told me the TSX/TTSX 225 in 338, 270 in 375, 350 in 416 and 450 in 458 penetrate straight and plenty deep enough, seems the really long expanding bullets want to swap ends according to them, they may not have enough twist to keep em spun up tight enough for straight line penetration.

After shooting a 400gr Woodleigh solid through a dead cape buff length ways, then slamming him in the shoulder with a 400gr woodleigh soft at 10 yards only to have the bullet cut from the offside hide, i'm more than satisfied, if 300 yard hunting range was a concern, that could easily be met with the available 300gr TSX, 2500 fps would be a great load in the 400 Whelen.

Trump Won!
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (21, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,641
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.