Imagine doing that for a living I couldn’t think of anything much worse

GB4

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Edwin264
I’m a state licensed mechanical contractor. The best way to ventilate a foam house is with an ERV or energy recovery ventilation unit. At minimum, outside air brought in through the HVAC system with a damper connected to a specialized controller.

Thanks for commenting Edwin... you are absolutely right... a certain about of "air changes" per day are required for healthy air. I forget the math, but glad you brought it up, least folks forget.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It worked really well for us on a 20 x 20 building and I didn't have to deal with fiberglass insulation.

Money well spent!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

The guys spraying were legal Hispanics... the senior of the two has been in the US for 25 (?) years (maybe 48 years old). He has 4 kids, his family is very close... kids going to college... starting businesses etc.

He was a farmer back in Mexico... has a small tract of land here and a few cows... he is looking forward to growing that.

He does chitty work daily... but takes care of his family and dreams.

He earned my respect. I tipped him well.

The younger guy is similar.

These guys have a very good bead on life and will be taking away fortune/opportunity/wealth from the "woke" and the "stupid"...

So be it.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
3 minute video of the job

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Roofing in 100* heat

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by steve4102

Roofing in 100* heat

Steve... what is your rate per SF on closed cell? Assuming a 3,000 SF job?

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My uncle had our 6' round enclosed deer blinds sprayed with that. Fire up a Mr. Heater Buddy in one and it will run you out in minutes. Good stuff!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by steve4102

Roofing in 100* heat

Steve... what is your rate per SF on closed cell? Assuming a 3,000 SF job?

Thanks

There was no real set SF price, it varied by location, wall height, attic height, vaulted with Proper Vent ceilings, vaulted hot roof, flat ceilings with thin layer then blown glass, flat ceilings complete, thickness, ease of access, etc.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That framing/roofing combo has to be the lightest on the market. I'd be curious what the structural numbers are before and after.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by erikj
That framing/roofing combo has to be the lightest on the market. I'd be curious what the structural numbers are before and after.

I ran the calculation... she is plenty strong.

Actually... the lateral wind load is the design failure criteria... (i.e. the foundation can lift at 134 mph, but I hope to bring that number up with the pallet racking).

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by erikj

I ran the calculation... she is plenty strong.

Actually... the lateral wind load is the design failure criteria... (i.e. the foundation can lift at 134 mph, but I hope to bring that number up with the pallet racking).

From a load calculation perspective... foam does not have a number that can be calculated... but 29 gauge side is pathetic... should be better now.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting. I'm guilty of doing what I'm used to doing. I like seeing other options.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We have a 36 x 63 feet garage - built by Morton Buildings. I've been told (by the Morton buildings rep) that the spray foam insulation would eat away the metal. Been told by spray foam person that it wouldn't. They each have conflicts of interest. Find conflicting info online. Anyone know?

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Has anybody tried it on a travel trailer? My Weekend Warrior came out of CA and there is no insulation in the floor. I was thinking about having most or all of the underside spray foamed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by NM_ElkNut
Has anybody tried it on a travel trailer? My Weekend Warrior came out of CA and there is no insulation in the floor. I was thinking about having most or all of the underside spray foamed.

If the underside is covered or enclosed after it is foamed. Any solvent, oil or water will slowly destroy it that is kicked up from the road surface otherwise. .

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

If the underside is covered or enclosed after it is foamed. Any solvent, oil or water will slowly destroy it that is kicked up from the road surface otherwise. .

Paint or roll-on rubber roof type stuff maybe?

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

If you prepped the metal PERFECT... and I mean PERFECT... maybe.

As for wear from water and road debris... I can see this a possible... and if separation ever occurred trapping moisture.

I guess if I was insistent on trying it... I would prep the metal... spray an inch or two of foam... add a layer of expanded metal to the frame with tabs and bolts and then do another layer of foam thru the metal to the existing foam.

Might work... I don't really like my suggestion... but maybe???????

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
We have a 36 x 63 feet garage - built by Morton Buildings. I've been told (by the Morton buildings rep) that the spray foam insulation would eat away the metal. Been told by spray foam person that it wouldn't. They each have conflicts of interest. Find conflicting info online. Anyone know?

I can't imagine how the foam would "eat" the metal.

If anyone told me such a thing I would sit down to a lunch with them... have a couple of beers and gauge the bullchit on various other topics (i.e. bring up politics... then flip sides as a test).

Might be true, but sure sounds like pure crapola to me.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
FYI...

Just swapped text messages with my foam salesman...

Dramatic increase in prices is coming for the foam chemicals.

I.e. If you are pondering closed cell spray foam... you better hustle... LIKE IMMEDIATELY!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,458 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,973
Posts18,480,717
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.