Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 35 36
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Apparently context can transform verse narrative from what it says into something you want it to say. That's convenience for you.

If the bible is the inspired word of God, as claimed, its clarity leaves a lot to be desired.

Pretty clear to me. You may want to do a bit of research and discover why Jesus spoke in parables.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Classic example of “sour grapes.” You don’t understand and seems you “can’t get”…..also, you don’t have ….so…. in your ignorance, you denigrate.

Meh….

Last edited by TF49; 06/07/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Apparently context can transform verse narrative from what it says into something you want it to say. That's convenience for you.

If the bible is the inspired word of God, as claimed, its clarity leaves a lot to be desired.

Pretty clear to me. You may want to do a bit of research and discover why Jesus spoke in parables.

Believers get confused, arguing amongst themselves over the meaning of this or that verse. In any case, what I quoted wasn't parable.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Classic example of “sour grapes.” You don’t understand and seems you “can’t get”…..also, you don’t have ….so…. in your ignorance, you denigrate.

Meh….

Sour grapes is evident in your response, not mine. I do nothing more than point to problems in theology. Peter and Paul disagreed and went their separate ways, and that is reflected in the quoted verses.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Has anyone else ever read a story where the perceptions of the narrator and/or main character are shown in the end to have been off, changing the entire meaning of the movie/book?

According to an orthodox view of Scripture it is made up of many pieces of literature written over thousands of years by many different authors who were inspire by the HS who knew they’d one day come together as a whole.

It makes perfect sense for those who only believe in that which is material to point out inconsistencies in this, but it is not outside the normal way we understand and interpret other writings.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
I appreciate your response, but do not agree with your view. Your example with "gravity" has to do with a force inherent in nature - the environment - in which we are born and live. In my belief, God created that force. It is universal and, to some extent, it is measurable. Having discovered it, humans have striven to understand and work with that force - but they cannot change it. It is beyond mankind's control.

Logic, on the other hand, normally is known and used as a somewhat scientific structure devised by humans to address matters and questions of correct reasoning. This is done through the use of certain principles. Humans set these principles and try to use them as criteria to establish validity of inference and demonstration in assessing rationality. Humans have devised differing forms/structures of logic according to needs. A logic system, in and of itself, is not universal and is controllable by humans.

Do you use a different definition of "logic"? If so, I would appreciate your providing the explanation of that logic.

I gave it earlier. You can believe and say whatever you want. It does not change the laws of logic anymore than disagreeing with hydrodynamics or any other law God created in the beginning. Laws of logic do not change from culture to culture or from generation to generation.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT

To sell something other than truth maybe?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m not sure where the “Holy” guys fits in - that is unless you are putting yourself above someone, or trying to put someone below yourself…

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our minister wisely said, we are no better, or no worse than anyone else.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by CCCC
I appreciate your response, but do not agree with your view. Your example with "gravity" has to do with a force inherent in nature - the environment - in which we are born and live. In my belief, God created that force. It is universal and, to some extent, it is measurable. Having discovered it, humans have striven to understand and work with that force - but they cannot change it. It is beyond mankind's control.

Logic, on the other hand, normally is known and used as a somewhat scientific structure devised by humans to address matters and questions of correct reasoning. This is done through the use of certain principles. Humans set these principles and try to use them as criteria to establish validity of inference and demonstration in assessing rationality. Humans have devised differing forms/structures of logic according to needs. A logic system, in and of itself, is not universal and is controllable by humans.

Do you use a different definition of "logic"? If so, I would appreciate your providing the explanation of that logic.

I gave it earlier. You can believe and say whatever you want. It does not change the laws of logic anymore than disagreeing with hydrodynamics or any other law God created in the beginning. Laws of logic do not change from culture to culture or from generation to generation.
OK - I am curious about those laws of logic created by God. Please post them. Thanks.

While you are getting ready to post God's laws of logic, you might care to read the following two somewhat scholarly articles on the general topic of God and Christian application of logic.

https://www.historicalbiblesociety.org › god-and-the-laws-of-logic

https://biblicalscienceinstitute.com › logic › the-biblical-basis-for-the-laws-of-logic

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IZH27
In a thread last week at least two people mentioned good works. One professing that they did good works and the other quoting the book of James, intimating that a Christian is to be focused on doing good works.

It is undeniable that in American Christian Theology most churches teach good works, following the law/Ten Commandments, as a way to please God. This message is anchored in the idea that there is an impact on someone’s salvation and standing with God in direct relation to performing good works.

I have a question for those that hold this view. The question is based on the scriptural truth that there is no one on this earth who is righteous. This mornings responsive reading was from Psalms 143. The words drew my thoughts back to the statements made last week.

Psalm 143:2

[2] Enter not into judgment with your servant,
for no one living is righteous before you.

This confession of David, “a man after God’s own heart” and echoed throughout scripture, quite famously in Romans 3,

How are you guys who claim righteousness and or holiness, either primarily or secondarily, measuring it? What is the evidence or actions in your life by which you measure the claim?

To your original post Sir. If you believe God created us. To know every hair on your head, to sew you together in the womb. You believe that Christ died on the cross and was risen and forgives us from our sins. Everything else really doesn't matter.

I don't have Everything figured out but I believe this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MGunns
In a thread last week at least two people mentioned good works. One professing that they did good works and the other quoting the book of James, intimating that a Christian is to be focused on doing good works.

It is undeniable that in American Christian Theology most churches teach good works, following the law/Ten Commandments, as a way to please God. This message is anchored in the idea that there is an impact on someone’s salvation and standing with God in direct relation to performing good works.

I have a question for those that hold this view. The question is based on the scriptural truth that there is no one on this earth who is righteous. This mornings responsive reading was from Psalms 143. The words drew my thoughts back to the statements made last week.

This confession of David, “a man after God’s own heart” and echoed throughout scripture, quite famously in Romans 3,

How are you guys who claim righteousness and or holiness, either primarily or secondarily, measuring it? What is the evidence or actions in your life by which you measure the claim?

To your original post Sir. If you believe God created us. To know every hair on your head, to sew you together in the womb. You believe that Christ died on the cross and was risen and forgives us from our sins. Everything else really doesn't matter.

I'm glad to hear that.
📖🙂👍

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Back in my pro-staffing days, I received email from a young fan. He and his buddy were looking for inside tips on how to get into the big time of hunting. They wanted to start their own cable show. I tried to explain that I was just a poor schlep writer who just happened to be good at writing for the outdoors. However, this guy was convinced I was holding back on him. The emails got angrier and he finally sent me a scathing manifesto and buggered off. This kind of reminded me of that episode.

I've said this many times before: Christianity is a joke. No, I don't mean it that way. Being a Christian is something you either get or you don't. Repeating the joke doesn't usually make things better, nor does explaining it.

As the Newsboys say:

Shine
Make 'em wonder what you've got
Make 'em wish that they were not
On the outside lookin' bored
Shine
Let it shine before all men
Let 'em see good works and then
Let 'em glorify the Lord

Good works are a natural effect of being under the influence of the Holy Spirit. It's not something you can force. Oh sure, you can donate your money to charities and work in a soup kitchen, but that's not what good works are all about. Good works generally work more serendipitously.

So how do you get there? How do you open up your heart to God? Prayer. Pray for God to come into your life. It's just that simple.

Mom always wanted me to be a Methodist minister. Instead, I spent 40 years in IT. Most of it was spent dealing with end-users. Let me tell you that opening myself up to God's Will and just letting it fly did more to help folks than most ministers find in a lifetime at the pulpit. Now that it's over, I find that is the one part of my career I miss the most.

There is no brass ring in this gig. Remember that our Savior got nailed to a cross. If you ever think you deserve entrance into Heaven, you're missing the point. You can't collect the whole set and redeem it for valuable prizes.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

Originally Posted by DBT

Nope….. and you still don’t get it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT

Originally Posted by DBT

Nope….. and you still don’t get it.

"I don't get it" because I see with clarity since I was never indoctrinated, and appreciate skepticism and critical thinking. Do you get that?

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
isn t there something in bible about laying down with another man you pillow biting fake Christian?

Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by MGunns

I'm glad to hear that.
📖🙂👍

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by shaman

Back in my pro-staffing days, I received email from a young fan. He and his buddy were looking for inside tips on how to get into the big time of hunting. They wanted to start their own cable show. I tried to explain that I was just a poor schlep writer who just happened to be good at writing for the outdoors. However, this guy was convinced I was holding back on him. The emails got angrier and he finally sent me a scathing manifesto and buggered off. This kind of reminded me of that episode.

I've said this many times before: Christianity is a joke. No, I don't mean it that way. Being a Christian is something you either get or you don't. Repeating the joke doesn't usually make things better, nor does explaining it.

As the Newsboys say:

Shine
Make 'em wonder what you've got
Make 'em wish that they were not
On the outside lookin' bored
Shine
Let it shine before all men
Let 'em see good works and then
Let 'em glorify the Lord

Good works are a natural effect of being under the influence of the Holy Spirit. It's not something you can force. Oh sure, you can donate your money to charities and work in a soup kitchen, but that's not what good works are all about. Good works generally work more serendipitously.

So how do you get there? How do you open up your heart to God? Prayer. Pray for God to come into your life. It's just that simple.

Mom always wanted me to be a Methodist minister. Instead, I spent 40 years in IT. Most of it was spent dealing with end-users. Let me tell you that opening myself up to God's Will and just letting it fly did more to help folks than most ministers find in a lifetime at the pulpit. Now that it's over, I find that is the one part of my career I miss the most.

There is no brass ring in this gig. Remember that our Savior got nailed to a cross. If you ever think you deserve entrance into Heaven, you're missing the point. You can't collect the whole set and redeem it for valuable prizes.

I appreciate you sharing your experience and I certainly don’t disagree. I’m just. It looking to go into a discussion of what good works are.

I started the thread to give an opportunity for the several who have brought up the “doing” of good works with the clear implication of “what we are to be about”. In my experience and based on observation the masses who claim faith in Christ end up espousing a faith that is anchored in a misrepresentation and misunderstanding what James is talking about. What I find is that the people who talk about “doing” are never willing or able to explain what they have done.

Based on what Jesus teaches in John 15 and what Paul teaches in Galatians those works that people claim that we are to “do” are not actually things that are done by us. They are done in spite of us.

If we examine the works that we view as ours it is likely that we need to repent of them because they are tainted by our sin and self interest.

I have high doubts that anyone will claim their righteous works and give us examples yet that view that nurtures that theology indicated that these same people will need to be able to stand in front of God and give an account of their works both good and bad. At the very least they might use this thread to practice up.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Righteous works do count. Righteous works don"t count.....

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
You may have missed it but I did try to answer the question you asked me a few pages back.

Page 5 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.