Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
FWIW:

Colorado DPW is wanting volunteers to trim the elk herds in The Great Sand Dunes and San Luis Valley areas.

Applications are online.

I read this on Accurate Reloading, American Hunting thread. Posted by Kathi Climes who, I believe, runs a travel booking business for worldwide hunting, etc.

Might be worth looking into for those interested.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Houston_2
FWIW:

Colorado DPW is wanting volunteers to trim the elk herds in The Great Sand Dunes and San Luis Valley areas.

Applications are online.

I read this on Accurate Reloading, American Hunting thread. Posted by Kathi Climes who, I believe, runs a travel booking business for worldwide hunting, etc.

Thanks for the heads up! My buddy and I just submitted our applications. 9 News article indicated this hunt was last year as well. Any idea last year how many applicants/selected/qualified?

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/09/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
FWIW:

Applications are online.

Thanks for the heads up! My buddy and I just submitted our applications. 9 News article indicated this hunt was last year as well. Any idea last year how many applicants/selected/qualified?

Tracks, I have no idea about those numbers for last year.

Surely the CPW would have that info online you’d think to tell of the success. Maybe a phone call to the southern district would be the thing to do.

That data resides somewhere in the files.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
FWIW:

Applications are online.

Surely the CPW would have that info online you’d think to tell of the success. Maybe a phone call to the southern district would be the thing to do.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just called the Monte Vista office, and they said they just cut off the applications after receiving 2,000 of them since Monday. Guess we'll sit tight and find out!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gotten selected for those hunts a few times and more often not gotten selected. Even 20 years ago it was hard to get a slot on those hunts.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
FWIW:

Applications are online.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just called the Monte Vista office, and they said they just cut off the applications after receiving 2,000 of them since Monday. Guess we'll sit tight and find out!

2000 applications in just a few days!

Alamosa out of that 2000 applicants how many would you feel would be picked to hunt based on your past experiences?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Making me think here. I think I have gotten called when my number was well over 100 and it surprised me that I got called. If I remember correctly that hunt was in Feb and they were going to stop in, I think, March.
I was number 2 once.

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/09/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
^^^
Thanks.

The Sharpshooter parts of these hunts supposedly depends upon the prospective hunters’ ability to hit a 12” circle at 200 yds, if I read that correctly.

Did the previous hunts that you were a part of require such?

Much appreciate your comments on this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. You used to have to qualify your marksmanship.
Then they stopped doing that but it wouldn't surprise me if they began requiring it again.
I think it required 3 out of 5 in the 12" circle when I did it.

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/09/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks Alamosa.

If I can draw a tag next year I’ll be hunting out of Fort Gardner again.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fort Garland or Gardner, with no fort? Two different places....

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Yes. You used to have to qualify your marksmanship.
Then they stopped doing that but it wouldn't surprise me if they began requiring it again.
I think it required 3 out of 5 in the 12" circle when I did it.

Just a chip shot for any good rifleman.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Requires six out of six at 200 and 300, in 3 minutes. Have to shoot from sitting (can use sticks) at 200 and you can go prone at 300.

Ordering more TTSX's now, copper bullets only on parts of the area.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Requires six out of six at 200 and 300, in 3 minutes. Have to shoot from sitting (can use sticks) at 200 and you can go prone at 300.

I read standing or kneeling supported at 200, and could go prone at 300.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, you are correct. I just skipped ahead to sitting at 200, seems like most would go that route, given the choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
200 and 300 yards.....3 shots each within 3 minutes. No misses or you fail from a different article i read.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
12” target?

Last edited by hillbillyjake; 11/10/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I put my name in and got drawn. I shoot next week. The qualification is six shots total, 3 at 200 yards, and 3 at 300 yards. Have to hit all six shots within three minutes to qualify. For the 200 yard shot, position is kneeling or standing. For the 300 yard shot kneeling, standing, or prone. Target is about 12" diameter. The really weird thing is, you are not allowed to adjust your scope. I paraphrase because it takes too much time and it's not realistic in the field. There's a metal post shooters can use for extra support for either range. You have to bring your own pack or bipod for prone. The email said most shooters don't qualify. Theoretically this should be doable for any seasoned hunter/shooter. I wonder if there's something else that comes in play.

There's a video out there of a CPW officer shooting the course clean. He uses a suppressed, PRS type rifle that has zero recoil. 6.5Needmore at most. The thing looks like it weighs 11lbs. And shooters can't adjust the scope because it takes too much time and doesn't mimic shots in the field. Um, ok PRS rifle dude, who carries an 11lb rifle in the field?

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 11/11/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I go on the 28th. Let me know how it goes, 10M.

LOL, the only rifle I have a good load worked up for copper bullets is a relatively lightweight .300 Weatherby, needless to say, no suppressor.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Will do Smoke. I'm shooting a Tikka 300wm that weighs in around 8lbs loaded. And anything past 250yards for me gets ranged in the field, dialed accordingly and shot to the best of my and my rifle's ability. If I don't have time to make the right shot, I don't shoot. Very simple. Winging shots with Kentucky windage (or holdover) is a good way to wound an animal. Seems like a very poor message to be sending.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks 10M. The way I read their instructions, they seemed to be saying that a lot of guys spent too much time dialing to qualify in 3 minutes?

I'm thinking if you're zeroed at 200 the holdover at 300 is only a few inches so if you know the target diameter, it should be fairly straightforward.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm thinking if you're zeroed at 200 the holdover at 300 is only a few inches so if you know the target diameter, it should be fairly straightforward.

If you zero at 250 you may not have to adjust your hold. My .308 is a little slow, but my .270 and .30-06 both have right at 6" verticle change between 200 & 300 yard when zeroed at 250 yards.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I put my name in and got drawn. I shoot next week. The qualification is six shots total, 3 at 200 yards, and 3 at 300 yards. Have to hit all six shots within three minutes to qualify. For the 200 yard shot, position is kneeling or standing. For the 300 yard shot kneeling, standing, or prone. Target is about 12" diameter. The really weird thing is, you are not allowed to adjust your scope. I paraphrase because it takes too much time and it's not realistic in the field. There's a metal post shooters can use for extra support for either range. You have to bring your own pack or bipod for prone. The email said most shooters don't qualify. Theoretically this should be doable for any seasoned hunter/shooter. I wonder if there's something else that comes in play.

There's a video out there of a CPW officer shooting the course clean. He uses a suppressed, PRS type rifle that has zero recoil. 6.5Needmore at most. The thing looks like it weighs 11lbs. And shooters can't adjust the scope because it takes too much time and doesn't mimic shots in the field. Um, ok PRS rifle dude, who carries an 11lb rifle in the field?

Congrats on being drawn, and thanks for the info. Are you allowed to substitute sitting for kneeling? I’d much rather shoot sitting than kneeling. More surface area/mass making contact with the ground.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no idea if you can sit. And I agree. It's a much more stable position to shoot from. That's what's weird about all this. The rules are not really practical, but oh-well. I signed up for it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you can't keep it in 12" at 300, you'd better put it away and take up golf. You have no business shooting at a live animal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you can't keep it in 12" at 300, you'd better put it away and take up golf. You have no business shooting at a live animal.

That would depend on how and where you hunt. I grew up back east hunting whitetails in the Eastern hardwoods. First with a shotgun because rifles aren't allowed in many coastal counties of VA.

Then with a 30-30 in the western counties.I had no idea what the POI was at 300 but it didn't matter because I never got a shot over 100. Killed plenty of deer.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Two targets 200 yards and 300 yards if your have to dial to hit them I don’t know what to think.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some interesting comments here. Range is irrelevant as long as a hunter stays within their skill level. I've hand gun hunted, that doesn't mean I should be able to hit a 300 yard target with a 10mm pistol to say I'm worthy. And as Smoke says, really depends on where you hunt. Like Smoke I grew upon in the midwest. I don't think I ever shot a deer farther than 125 yards for the first 20 years of my hunting life. If CPW thinks shots will be taken at 300 yards at this location, by all means, then test for that skill level.

Holding or dialing isn't the point for me. It's the point that CPW thinks there's insufficient time. Their rules contradict themselves. You have three minutes to make six shots. If you can't dial in that time frame you don't qualify. Period. What difference does it make if someone takes two seconds to dial and still makes all their shots in three minutes? That's no different than someone not dialing and making all their shots in three minutes.

Same with kneeling. If they are promoting, and should be, ethical hunting and target skills, sitting is a better choice than kneeling. If you watch the example video there's a metal post that can be used as support for either target shot. If they are testing for real skills, why allow the metal post? Is there a metal post in the woods for us to use too? Just weird. Maybe it's supposed to mimic using a tree for support???

Personally, I signed up knowing these rules, I'll play the game. It's an odd game, but I signed up for it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What do you guys think of the official kneeling position?
I think it’s a crock myself. I can shoot better from the sitting position.

Sorry, I don’t know how to imbed a video, and I’m using my phone, which makes less likely….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks like miracles do occur…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Yup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could do it 40 years ago with a M-16A1. I aint as limber as I once was but, with the aide of the post, the kneeling at 200 shouldn't be a problem. 300 prone would be a piece of cake. .30-06 180 grain spitzer @ 2700 fps, zeroed at 200, 9" low at 300 yards.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yup.

But it was rather entertaining watching round boy try to bend over and get into that cockamamie position……

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mag410
I could do it 40 years ago with a M-16A1. I aint as limber as I once was but, with the aide of the post, the kneeling at 200 shouldn't be a problem.

Should be but that kneeling technique on the video with the left knee down is "unorthodox." I'd call it the "kneeling when you've got a post to lean on" technique.

Good thing they put the video out and you can practice like that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do you have to qualify with the same rifle caliber you are going to hunt with?

Bet more people could qualify with a 22.250 or 243 or 6mm....then if you win a tag, take what you desire.

I can easily hit targets that far, as I shoot a lot at those distances... but kneeling and then prone....kneeling probably still...

prone, my neck doesn't have the range of motion to lift my neck that far back to see that high laying on my chest.
I was born with 60% of what the average range of motion is for most people... yet doctor will also tell ya, it would take a gorilla to break my neck.
my neck bones are much larger than normal....that part of me is a factory reject...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His technique is sound using the post like that. Strongside elbow ain't flopping in the wind like normal 'kneeling'.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was also surprised he was able to get up from prone, without help....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
His technique is sound using the post like that. Strongside elbow ain't flopping in the wind like normal 'kneeling'.....

Yeah, but probably not a lot of posts out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same technique is best with shooting sticks, which he set aside instead of using.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was kind of wondering about him not using the sticks. Using sticks with the post seems like it would be rock solid. Maybe too much going on up front with the bipod mounted.

I noticed with the bipod he didn't use a rear bag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True, but his NPA and knee direction could be better (to put it mildly), IME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am really excited for those of you that got selected. I am looking forward to seeing this evolve. Best of luck/skill!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could do it 40 years ago with a M-16A1. I aint as limber as I once was but, with the aide of the post, the kneeling at 200 shouldn't be a problem.

Should be but that kneeling technique on the video with the left knee down is "unorthodox." I'd call it the "kneeling when you've got a post to lean on" technique.

It’s called “reverse kneeling” and it’s not unorthodox, ya big dummy

It’s what a shooter does when kneeling and a support can be used.

You might want to shoot some fun local matches and improve your “skills” and knowledge

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

👍🏼

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Um, ok PRS rifle dude, who carries an 11lb rifle in the field?

Genghis Khan?
Gunga Din?
"...he could dot and carry one,
'til the longest day was done..."

I do occasionally carry an 11 pound rifle!
A PSA AR10 .308 with a 20 round mag. I haul that puppy out to the box blind and set it up on bags and a bipod.
"IF" I kill a deer, I leave it in the blind while I go get the truck! 😉!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Gunga Din?

Sam Jaffe was about 5' 5" and maybe a buck 30.

Now Victor McLaglen on the other hand..... smirk

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I do occasionally carry an 11 pound rifle!
A PSA AR10 .308 with a 20 round mag. I haul that puppy out to the box blind and set it up on bags and a bipod.
"IF" I kill a deer, I leave it in the blind while I go get the truck! 😉!

That’s the upside to a 11 lb rifle—nobody can steal it and get very far……..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

You might want to shoot some fun local matches and improve your “skills” and knowledge

Bump for the guy with 37,500 posts who doesn’t have a clue how to shoot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't bet on that.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't bet on that.......

If you don’t know what reverse kneeling is, any day and any amount

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't bet on that.......

If you don’t know what reverse kneeling is, any day and any amount

oooh you betting a plate of spaghetti from its Paisanos?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, since I've seen ol' Smoke shoot at the Icebreaker, and kill lots of PD's here on the ranch well past 600 yards, and bang the holy bejeebus outta my steel, the LAST thing I'd have to say about him is 'doesn’t have a clue how to shoot
'

Believe me. He won't have ANY trouble with qualifying at that circus, OR killing elk at any range he wants to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Again, if reverse kneeling is confusing and “unorthodox”, it blatantly shows the level of shooting experience

If a shooter can’t hit a 6+MOA target at 200 with support like that to qualify, he’s got work to do.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Looked like he laid his gut on top of his thighs then laid on top of his gut? Idk what that kneeling was. Despite being a 6 and 4 MOA target, I’d bet a lot of people would fail it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, if reverse kneeling is confusing and “unorthodox”, it blatantly shows the level of shooting experience

If a shooter can’t hit a 6+MOA target at 200 with support like that to qualify, he’s got work to do.

All it shows is that he's not familiar with that shooting position. Nothing more, nothing less.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno looking at the fish cop and his bang stick……

I expected his demo to be shooting off the hood of a suburban…..using a bag of Cheetos as a rest.

Looked like large boy yoga? With guns.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

All it shows is that he's not familiar with that shooting position. Nothing more, nothing less.

He's just got his panties bunched up because I said something mean about his partner in narcissism.

You can't pry 'em apart with a crowbar.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Which won't be the case on the actual hunt, no posts out there that I know of. So when you're on the actual hunt, it would be not only unorthodox but useless. And by unorthodox, I meant it wouldn't be the position you'd use given the choice in the field

So why use it to qualify? That was really the question.

PS, you should go back and see if I had any spelling errors you can whine about. Friggin' clam.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Which won't be the case on the actual hunt, no posts out there that I know of. So when you're on the actual hunt, it would be not only unorthodox but useless. And by unorthodox, I meant it wouldn't be the position you'd use given the choice in the field

It can be used in the field if you're using shooting sticks, tripod, tree, rock, or off a tall pack. It's far from a usless position to practice from. If you're not using any of the above mentioned things in the field, then the more traditional kneeling method is going to be preferred.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Sorry, I don’t know how to imbed a video, and I’m using my phone, which makes less likely….

Thanks for sharing. I CAN’T BELIEVE THE LACK OF EYE AND EAR PROTECTION. That’s not a good look for CPW. I run a can on my 18” 308 and still wear ear pro at the range for the supersonic crack. And prosthetic eyes have a long way to go before I’ll sling lead at the range without eye pro…

Hopefully CPW has another (fit) officer for demonstrating packing a bull off the dunes on his back…

Congrats to all who were selected and best of luck with your quals. Would greatly appreciate hunt results posted so I can participate vicariously!

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/13/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by taylorce1

It can be used in the field if you're using shooting sticks, tripod, tree, rock, or off a tall pack. It's far from a usless position to practice from. If you're not using any of the above mentioned things in the field, then the more traditional kneeling method is going to be preferred.

Yeah, I know. The more different positions your good with the better. If I'm using sticks and kneeling is an option because there's no ground clutter, I'll most likely be sitting. Or prone if possible. I just don't see why they don't allow those options.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Holy sh it. A simple video and everyone is a position and fitness expert.

This place never disappoints.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Yeah, I know. The more different positions your good with the better. If I'm using sticks and kneeling is an option because there's no ground clutter, I'll most likely be sitting. Or prone if possible. I just don't see why they don't allow those options.

Why complain about it? You don't have to shoot the same way, you just have to hit the targets. Their special hunt, their rules. You just have to play their game, if you want to do this. I can't be at the CPW beck and call because of my work, so I didn't apply.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Why complain about it? You don't have to shoot the same way, you just have to hit the targets. Their special hunt, their rules. You just have to play their game, if you want to do this. I can't be at the CPW beck and call because of my work, so I didn't apply.

I'm not complaining, alpine posted the video and asked people's opinions and I gave mine, that's all. In fact, I'll probably use the guy's kneeling position for 200 and 300 and not bother to go prone. It's very solid when you're leaning into a post and supported by sticks.

But there won't be any posts out there so it's kind of curious that kneeling with a post is "the official position." Just my opinion.

I hear you on the "beck and call" stuff. Just by the tone of the communications and video I'm wondering how this will be in person. It's a good drive for me, I may not be available if/when they call.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly and illustrative.

If a hunter or shooter believes the position is useless in the field, he simply is a novice and hasn’t done much shooting.

A shooter has to be able to build a position that’s solid in the field. Prone with a bipod and a rear bag isn’t possible in every situation.

Why use that position to qualify?

Because they want to see if you can shoot proficiently and not have a schitshow of wounded animals produced by idiots who don’t have basic shooting skills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just by the tone of the communications and video I'm wondering how this will be in person. It's a good drive for me, I may not be available if/when they call.

Probably the best move for you.

It would be a real gut punch to drive all that way only to have a hole in your game exposed in front of a bunch a people

👍🏼

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just by the tone of the communications and video I'm wondering how this will be in person. It's a good drive for me, I may not be available if/when they call.

Probably the best move for you.

It would be a real gut punch to drive all that way only to have a hole in your game exposed in front of a bunch a people

👍🏼

LOL, shooting to qualify isn't what I was talking about dipschit, my date and time to shoot is set, I have the day off, and I'm going. I'm talking about the actual hunt, that's not scheduled yet. Of course, if you knew what you were talking about you'd know that.

And WTF are you talking about "my game?" It may be your game, but it ain't mine. I rarely even hunt with centerfire rifles.

And since we're giving advice here, my advice to you is to up your game in things that really matter, like running your business. The online reviews that people have posted here are not kind. But hey, at least you're "LGBTQ friendly" so you've got that going for you. What does that even mean, anyway?

Well, since I've seen ol' Smoke shoot at the Icebreaker, and kill lots of PD's here on the ranch well past 600 yards, and bang the holy bejeebus outta my steel, the LAST thing I'd have to say about him is 'doesn’t have a clue how to shoot
'
Believe me. He won't have ANY trouble with qualifying at that circus, OR killing elk at any range he wants to.

Thanks Don. Not in the same class as guys like you and Jordan, never claimed to be a "sharpshooter" or an expert marksman. I just want to put some meat in the freezer and it it helps CP&W manage the herd, so much the better.

rcuntmuglia seems to have a problem with that. Life in the peanut gallery I guess.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Because they want to see if you can shoot proficiently and not have a schitshow of wounded animals produced by idiots who don’t have basic shooting skills.

LOL, you think the best way to avoid a schitshow is to allow people to use a rest when they qualify that they won't have when the actual hunt happens, got it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL, you think the best way to avoid a schitshow is to allow people to use a rest when they qualify that they won't have when the actual hunt happens, got it.

God you’re dumb

Right in the video, the G&F officer clearly stated to bring what you will be using on the hunt.

Tripod, shooting sticks, etc…

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, I saw that. And then allow you to lean up against a post. A post that you won't have in the field.

Do you get it now? I could draw a picture.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I saw that. And then allow you to lean up against a post. A post that you won't have in the field.

You are too dense to understand the entire purpose of the qualification.

LOLOLOLOL

They want rifle shooters with a certain level of proficiency. If you can’t kneel and shoot a target that’s 6MOA at 200 yards they don’t want you.

Do YOU get it now?

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/13/22. Reason: To draw pole a picture

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

LOLOLOLOL

They want rifle shooters with a certain level of proficiency. If you can’t kneel and shoot a target that’s 6MOA at 200 yards they don’t want you.

Do YOU get it now?

I’m with smoke on this one. Seems odd to offer a post to qualify on when shot opportunities in the park will be on sand dunes. And the shooter should demonstrate their ability with the support they brought to use in the field (tripod/sticks/bipod/pack) IMO.

Not sure why you feel the need to single him out like that. A lot of folks on here learned practical marksmanship long before the Creedmoor cartridges were invented or PRS matches were a thing. Skills like shooting prairie dogs, calling coyotes, and shooting steel out to 1,200 yards with hand loaded wildcat cartridges. And hunting antelope, deer, and elk at a multitude of ranges in real world hunting conditions. I’m guessing many of us on here don’t have anything to prove and aren’t concerned about our ability to qualify, just trying to get a handle on how the game is played with this CPW management hunt.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/13/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.... just trying to get a handle on how the game is played with this CPW management hunt.

Again, and for the last time....

This is not a hunting or recreational opportunity – it is an intensive elk management effort. This qualification has proven to be difficult for even the most seasoned elk hunters, said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Rick Basagoitia. Those who advance through the application process then must complete a shooting qualification hitting small targets the size of an elk’s vitals at 200 and 300 yards. Those attending the qualifying shoot must hit each target three times in a row without a miss within a three minute time period. This standard is likely the minimum allowable standard given the difficulty of the work we need volunteers to do.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOLOLOLOL

The purpose of the qualification is obvious, moron.

You're too dense to read what I said and understand it. Which is amazing because it ain’t rocket science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
But there won't be any posts out there so it's kind of curious that kneeling with a post is "the official position." Just my opinion.

I never once heard the demonstrator say that kneeling at the post was the official position. I did see him refer to the shooting position before pointing out the target at 200 and 300. I took that to mean the firing line he was standing on, but it did look like he kind of gestured toward the post and maybe that is what you're referring to? He also made it very clear you could use a tripod or shooting sticks you bring or use the wobbly post provided.

I'm just letting you know how I understood the video presented. I think this is where we are getting things crossed. I hope when it's your turn to hunt, it's more pleasant than the application made it sound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And WTF are you talking about "my game?" It may be your game, but it ain't mine. I rarely even hunt with centerfire rifles.

The exact type the G&F is trying ferret out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I never once heard the demonstrator say that kneeling at the post was the official position. I did see him refer to the shooting position before pointing out the target at 200 and 300. I took that to mean the firing line he was standing on, but it did look like he kind of gestured toward the post and maybe that is what you're referring to? He also made it very clear you could use a tripod or shooting sticks you bring or use the wobbly post provided.

Yeah!! But that post!! Why do they say you can use that post!!! There isn’t gonna be any posts out there!!!

LOL

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The exact type the G&F is trying ferret out

LOL, no, they want to ferret out thise that can't hit the target.

English, learn it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There are such things as trees, brush, fence posts ,ect in the field and the qual allows shooting sticks instead of the post. I would have used sticks to pass that qual.

Get out in the field a bit more and this would be easier for you to understand.

The 300yds portion allowed prone and bipods.

Seems a good test for this kind of thing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Yes, it does. If you were using your sticks and had the option to kneel or sit, which would you choose?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, it does. If you were using your sticks and had the option to kneel or sit, which would you choose?

I think you had to stand or kneel for the three shots @200yds.

I would prefer to sit if that was an option.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Me too. Especially shooting downhill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think you had to stand or kneel for the three shots @200yds.

I would prefer to sit if that was an option.

....And it was clearly stated that sitting is not an option. Standing or kneeling. Of course sitting is easier, but they don't want it to be easier. They want proficient shooters.

In Practical Rifle Matches, there usually is a stage with the four positions; Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, unsupported Prone. All are shot with only the use of a sling. Targets are sized appropriately for the order of difficulty. Requiring a participant in this depredation hunt to put 3 rounds on a gigantic plate at 200 yards from kneeling with the use of a support is kindergarten stuff. The fact that the shooter can use his tripod or sticks makes it rudimentary. Most guys I know would deploy their tripod, shoot the 200 yard plate 3 times and simply stay on the tripod for the 300 yard plate even though prone is allowed. If you can't hit the gigantic plate at 300 from prone, God help you!

3 minutes to shoot 2 gigantic 6 MOA targets that the range is given is an eternity for anyone with any shooting proficiency. Most matches only have 2 MOA targets and require the shooter to deploy every piece of gear on the clock, FIND THE TARGET because that's part of the job, range the target yourself and engage it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
....And it was clearly stated that sitting is not an option. Standing or kneeling. Of course sitting is easier, but they don't want it to be easier. They want proficient shooters.

In Practical Rifle Matches, there usually is a stage with the four positions; Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, unsupported Prone. All are shot with only the use of a sling. Targets are sized appropriately for the order of difficulty. Requiring a participant in this depredation hunt to put 3 rounds on a gigantic plate at 200 yards from kneeling with the use of a support is kindergarten stuff. The fact that the shooter can use his tripod or sticks makes it rudimentary. Most guys I know would deploy their tripod, shoot the 200 yard plate 3 times and simply stay on the tripod for the 300 yard plate even though prone is allowed. If you can't hit the gigantic plate at 300 from prone, God help you!

3 minutes to shoot 2 gigantic 6 MOA targets that the range is given is an eternity for anyone with any shooting proficiency. Most matches only have 2 MOA targets and require the shooter to deploy every piece of gear on the clock, FIND THE TARGET because that's part of the job, range the target yourself and engage it.

The other aspect is pressure.

Having to hit with every shot and a group watching is not something the average hunter has done.

This hunt/cull sound funs and there is a lot of demand.

Maybe they should fill the slots with a competition? grin

Shot timer and fastest time on the 6 shots without a miss rank the shooters.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/14/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The other aspect is pressure.

Having to hit with every shot and a group watching is not something the average hunter has done.

This hunt/cull sound funs and there is a lot of demand.

Maybe they should fill the slots with a competition? grin

Shot timer and fastest time on the 6 shots without a miss rank the shooters.

That’s basically what they’re doing. Like they say on the website, most can’t complete the requirements.

I had the same thought about their standards for the cull. They should have just contacted match directors in Colorado for a list of regular participants in competitive shoots if they wanted to get this done cleanly and efficiently.

Although when the general public caught wind of it, there’d be a bunch of whiny bitches crying “fairness”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s basically what they’re doing. Like they say on the website, most can’t complete the requirements.

I had the same thought about their standards for the cull. They should have just contacted match directors in Colorado for a list of regular participants in competitive shoots if they wanted to get this done cleanly and efficiently.

Although when the general public caught wind of it, there’d be a bunch of whiny bitches crying “fairness”

I say a match that is 6 shots on the timer.

Miss and you're out and time ranks your spot on the cull. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Are you trying to make pole have a seizure?

LOL

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Nah, it's like Taylor said, it's their program and their rules, so either get with the program or step aside for the next guy, they had 2,000 applications in a couple days.

But sure as shìt some out-of-state know-it-all aśśhole will weigh in with his opinions on not only how they should do it, but who should be allowed to participate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For some reason shooting elk in potato fields is of zero interest to me. I'm not much of a sharpshooter either though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nah, it's like Taylor said, it's their program and their rules, so either get with the program or step aside for the next guy, they had 2,000 applications in a couple days.

But sure as shìt some out-of-state know-it-all aśśhole will weigh in with his opinions on not only how they should do it, but who should be allowed to participate.

Shame on me for having an opinion 😂

You’re right though. They ought to let morons who rarely hunt with center fire rifles and are ignorant of the fundamentals of marksmanship tell them how to run it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

eek

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
For some reason shooting elk in potato fields is of zero interest to me. I'm not much of a sharpshooter either though.

Is that where the culling happens? I assumed it was on the federal land.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You’re right though. They ought to let morons who rarely hunt with center fire rifles and are ignorant of the fundamentals of marksmanship tell them how to run it.

LOL, I live here but I'm not the one telling them how to do it or who should be allowed to participate. Like I said earlier, I'll use his position shown on the video. His hunt, his rules.

And it was rarely hunt with centerfires. Not rarely shoot centerfires. See the difference there?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, I live here but I'm not the one telling them how to do it or who should be allowed to participate. Like I said earlier, I'll use his position shown on the video. His hunt, his rules.

And it was rarely hunt with centerfires. Not rarely shoot centerfires. See the difference there?

I think it's the CO Parks and Wildlife who set the rules. Not an individual game warden.

Even out of staters can have an opinon on how to do it better, but we might not have much influence.

You were questioning the use of the post.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think it's the CO Parks and Wildlife who set the rules. Not an individual game warden.

Even out of staters can have an opinon on how to do it better, but we might not have much influence.

John,
In this case I do believe it’s the individual Area Wildlife Manager (AWM) in the video that is setting the rules. They may be using the same or similar rules used in the past.
Usually when it’s a National Park the NPS has their own people manage the hunt, but it appears this is a remote enough location the feds handed the cull over to the state.

I’ve killed a few animals from some pretty unorthodox positions but that kneeling position is still a cockamamie way to shoot a critter.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve killed a few animals from some pretty unorthodox positions but that kneeling position is still a cockamamie way to shoot a critter.

Well you learned something…

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Well you learned something…
Lol…..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's the CO Parks and Wildlife who sets the rules. Not an individual game warden.

John,
In this case I do believe it’s the individual Area Wildlife Manager (AWM) in the video that is setting the rules. They may be using the same or similar rules used in the past.
Usually when it’s a National Park the NPS has their own people manage the hunt, but it appears this is a remote enough location the feds handed the cull over to the state.

Casey,

I think everyone agrees sitting is better than kneeling for being steady.

That said if you have a rest to support the front of the rifle then right elbow to right knee adds support to the back of the rifle.

If you are shooting kneeling without any front support then left elbow to left knee it the best way. But without a sling and the time to get slung up it's only a bit better than offhand.

Any way some time when you're bored see what you think of that reversed kneeling with a front rest, I recomend some sticks.

Might be a tool for the tool box.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's the CO Parks and Wildlife who sets the rules. Not an individual game warden.

John,

Casey,

That said if you have a rest to support the front of the rifle then right elbow to right knee adds support to the back of the rifle.

If you are shooting kneeling without any front support then left elbow to left knee it the best way. But without a sling and the time to get slung up it's only a bit better than offhand.

Any way some time when you're bored see what you think of that reversed kneeling with a front rest, I recomend some sticks.

Quit being nice and helpful.

Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes.

But laying with your dick in the dirt to shoot all the time doesn’t make a good shooter.

Push yourself and hunting will be easy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lol

LOL.

I like Casey.

I got the yipper pack beat back and on the ropes so it's fun to deal with real guys who like to hunt.

Like you. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Lol

LOL.

I like Casey.

I got the yipper pack beat back and on the ropes so it's fun to deal with real guys who like to hunt.

Like you. grin
Get a room boys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raferman

Lol

LOL.

I like Casey.

Like you. grin
Get a room boys.

Lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was also surprised he was able to get up from prone, without help....

He was breathing heavy after getting up.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yes, everyone is entitled to their o' pinon, and some of those opinions even have merit. Just not entitled to bag on someone else for "telling CP&W how to run their hunt" when they're the only ones telling CP&W how to run their hunt.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Fort Garland or Gardner, with no fort? Two different places....

It is Fort Garland. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, everyone is entitled to their o' pinon, and some of those opinions even have merit. Just not entitled to bag on someone else for "telling CP&W how to run their hunt" when they're the only ones telling CP&W how to run their hunt.

I went over the thread and could not find what you quoted?

Who are you quoting?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm quoting RC Cola, Moonpie.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked the public sight in days here in Montana. I would say 99% of the shooters I had could not do that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

?

Where?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 10at6
I worked the public sight in days here in Montana. I would say 99% of the shooters I had could not do that.

I worked a couple of those at our gun club. We had to check and make sure everyone's ammunition matched their rifles, and help with adjusting scopes and stuff. They finally stopped the public sight-in days, it was too much of a PITA.

So those aren't a very good barometer. I agree with RC on that, they need a much higher standard. It's a National Park, I'd guess they had some public opposition to the hunt so they can't afford a schitshow in the Park, under the auspices of CP&W.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

?

Where?

Don't you want to know why I called you guys that? It's because whenever you see a Moonpie and an RC Cola, it always comes with a big ol' baloney samwich.

Seriously though, that was some good advice you gave earlier and that kind of input is appreciated, even if you didn't intend it for me.

The quote was a few pages back:

They ought to let morons who rarely hunt with center fire rifles and are ignorant of the fundamentals of marksmanship tell them how to run it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

?

Where?

Don't you want to know why I called you guys that? It's because whenever you see a Moonpie and an RC Cola, it always comes with a big ol' baloney samwich.

Seriously though, that was some good advice you gave earlier and that kind of input is appreciated, even if you didn't intend it for me.

The quote was a few pages back:

They ought to let morons who rarely hunt with center fire rifles and are ignorant of the fundamentals of marksmanship tell them how to run it.

So you heard something in your head that Rick didn't type. Okay.

I didn't figure out you actually were picked for the cull until I went back through the thread.

Good luck and get to practicing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not something I "heard in my head." Something I read in his post, i.e, "tell them how to run it."

Thanks. Already started practicing, will again this weekend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
😂😂😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not something I "heard in my head." Something I read in his post, i.e, "tell them how to run it."

Thanks. Already started practicing, will again this weekend.

Well as we are all sorta being nice one thing you might do at home.

Set a 3 minute time on your phone and practice getting into reverse kneeling.

Visualize your 3 shots.

Get into prone and visualize your 3 shots.

Being used to how 3 minutes feels will help when you have to do it in front of a crowd.

If you have used standard kneeling for many years it helps to practice the reverse a bit without shooting.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I went over the thread and could not find what you quoted?

Who are you quoting?

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Ahem.

😂😂😂
Case of mistaken identity? grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks JB. I've been practicing the reverse a bit, without shooting. I Have a tripod with a rest, one that Jordan recommended a few years ago. Never used it on the tripod until now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is practice on the PRS Skills stage. I’m cheating as any rear support is not allowed in competition. I was just practicing rear support assists that day with my Rudolph Quad Sticks (I recommend you get both the standing and short versions)

In competition the only thing allowed is one bag. The target is a 10” plate at 430 yards. Time constraint is 90 seconds. 2 rounds from each of 4 positions, so 8 rounds. Just showing this to demonstrate that 3 minutes is an eternity

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/17/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ahem.

😂😂😂

Your point?

Spell it out Barney style like your talkin to a slow 3rd grader.

Pay special attention to how quotes work and what it means when words are constrained in quotation marks.

Thanks.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is practice on the PRS Skills stage. I’m cheating as any rear support is not allowed in competition. I was just practicing rear support assists that day with my Rudolph Quad Sticks (I recommend you get both the standing and short versions)

In competition the only thing allowed is one bag. The target is a 10” plate at 430 yards. Time constraint is 90 seconds. 2 rounds from each of 4 positions, so 8 rounds. Just showing this to demonstrate that 3 minutes is an eternity

LOL.

That's all fake, you have a Leupold on that rifle and would be lucky to hit one plate before it shifted zero. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL.

That's all fake, you have a Leupold on that rifle and would be lucky to hit one plate before it shifted zero. laugh

😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ahem.

😂😂😂

Your point?

Spell it out Barney style like your talkin to a slow 3rd grader.

Pay special attention to how quotes work and what it means when words are constrained in quotation marks.

Thanks.
No point. Just trying to answer your question and be helpful. Sheesh.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Also notice that the low positions are done with reverse kneeling…

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

There are such things as trees, brush, fence posts ,ect in the field and the qual allows shooting sticks instead of the post. I would have used sticks to pass that qual.

You ever been to the great sand dunes? Wide open country with lots of sand, not so much trees and brush and fence posts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm really disappointed in you guys, no LOLs for that one. You know it was funny, even Burns laughed.

Where?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dassa

You ever been to the great sand dunes? Wide open country with lots of sand, not so much trees and brush and fence posts.

You think the elk are hanging out in the actual dunes?

I suppose next you are going to tell us the cull is to reduce how much sand the elk are eating? crazy

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I suppose next you are going to tell us the cull is to reduce how much sand the elk are eating? crazy

😂

I’ve spent a bit of time in the San Luis Valley. And yeah, I’d bet the elk aren’t on any dunes. 😂😂😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But a lot has changed since then in Colorado, ya know with illegal immigration and diversity stuff. There may be a lot of elk that migrated from Saudi Arabia

😂😂😂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Monte Vista, opening morning waterfowl season this year. Cell phone video was too big to post.
I've had this happen on the refuge few times.
One time they even dragged my decoys out of the water.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
flock shooting!.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Where's the dang post!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've asked that question so many times when I've has a duck down, no dog, and looking for a pole to recover it.
BYOS - bring your own sticks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might have to start hunting elk while pretending to bird hunt. Seems like I see more and they’re not even bothered by barking dogs out in the open at 30 yards

Dove hunt

Duck hunt

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

John,

Casey,

Lol

For years I've used a single trekking pole. It helps for balance when walking but with a little practice, it can be an improvised shooting stick in many ways. The most solid I've found is in conjunction with a bush. Hold your hand on the pole at the right height and grab a twig on the bush with the same hand. Pull away from the bush. Lay the gun over your wrist. The pole gives you a solid elevation, the twig gives you solid windage.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might have to start hunting elk while pretending to bird hunt. Seems like I see more and they’re not even bothered by barking dogs out in the open at 30 yards

Same here. It happens to me on the Rio Grande river too. But when I hunt elk it seems like they have read the regs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've asked that question so many times when I've has a duck down, no dog, and looking for a pole to recover it.

Use a cattail.

I want to know where are the sand dunes.

Those poor elk have to be starving. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Use a cattail.

I can stack 'em in one hole all day long if I've got a cattail for a rest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Use a cattail.

It's been lost in all of the "discussion" here. When is the day you get to qualify?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Use a cattail.

Show off

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's been lost in all of the "discussion" here. When is the day you get to qualify?

Next week, but I might punt. The kneeling position just ain't working for me with the .300 Weatherby. That's the rifle I specified, because it's the only one I had a load worked up for copper bullets. That was a mistake but can't change it now.

Last weekend I shot using a post but I used the big post (roof support) at the range and just pushed my sticks up against it. I could kneel upright with my back straight and it worked fine, hit the plate every time and absorbed the recoil just fine I was thinking no problem. Then I went back and looked at the video and saw that his post is a short one, too short to use it for a brace if you're kneeling upright. If you notice, he's bent over and leaning pretty far forward, looks like it works well with a suppressed rifle but it doesn't work so well with an unsuppressed magnum. I tried it that way yesterday, didn't cut myself with the scope but came damn close, no thanks.

And I'm just not good enough kneeling upright with sticks and nothing to lean against, I shot that way yesterday and did OK but missed enough that an 8-hour round trip is not worth it. I'll re-load my empties and try again this weekend, see if I can get comfortable enough to guarantee no misses but right now it's not looking good. I'm sure they'll have plenty of others willing to help with their cull.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try using a backpack under your right arm under the butt stock if you're a rightie....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot it last week...and failed. Not making excuses. 100% me on this one. Went 3/3 on the kneeling then missed the first shot at 300 prone. Not sure why. I practiced both, and never missed prone at 300. Might have been over confident as I was more concerned about the kneeling. I've shot enough competitions, national televised even, that it wasn't stress. Just didn't take my time to get a good natural point of aim on the 300. Oh well.

Here's how it works. 30 shooters show up all at the same time. It's a cluster f*ck with no organization. The parks and wildlife guy (PWG) tells you all about how everyone fails and how easy the shoot should be. Then goes on to tell everyone that the "culling" is not hunting. They are having a problem with the elk refuging on a wildlife refuge near the sand dunes and they are trying to scare the elk back on public land so hunters can hunt them. Um, that's the entire state of CO during hunting season. Not sure why this location is so significant. Anyway, he says most shots are 200-300 yards and shooters only get a few seconds to get into position, hence the nature of the shoot. So I agree it's a good test for that situation. He said, bumpers, hoods, backpacks, tailgates can all be used during the actual hunt. All the hunt dates are Tuesday or Thursday's and they are filled through early January. So future hunts are late Jan. and Feb. Personally, that didn't appeal to me and I would not have applied had I known that. Might to you. That speech takes about an hour. You just stand there.

Then he goes into demonstrating the shooting position and how to shoot the COF. He missed 5/6 shots. Yup, Mr. PWG that gave us the run down on how easy it is, how it's so doable, and that it's a test of how well we know our rifle, missed 5 of 6. Said, and I quote "must have bumped my scope."

You have to show him your ammo, make sure it's lead free. You don't know the order of shooting. He calls off three people, baseball style. Batter, on deck, and in the hole. You do not know when you will shoot. So you keep standing there. It was 22 degrees and I stood there for 1:45 before I shot. You can't leave because you don't know when you will be called.

Of the 30 people that shot, I think 5 cleared it. Going from memory...except for one guy, the ones who competed it, had some serious gear. One guy was military and had a tripod that likely weighed 20lbs. and rifle was probably over 12lbs. Serious military sniper set up. Shoot the kneeling exactly as he shows you. Reverse kneeling with the post and use your bipod. The winners' rifles looked more like PRS style than hunting and very few people used anything more than a 308. I used 300wm and was a rare exception. Lots of short action, 6.5 and similar calibers based on what I could see of the brass from 20 feet.

If I could do it again. smile. Get there at least two hours early and take a few practice shots on the range - others did, and I didn't know that was allowed. The 200 and 300 yard target rows are pretty obvious. Double check your hold at that elevation. I sighted in at 10,000 (where I hunt) and this was around 7500ish. Dress really warm! I thought we could sit in our trucks while others shot. Nope. The targets are said to be 12" tall x 14" wide but honestly looked smaller. I'm sure he wasn't making up the measurements, but they looked smaller than a standard Shoot N C 12" target which were visible at the same distance.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 11/21/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the run-down 10m.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Next week, but I might punt. The kneeling position just ain't working for me with the .300 Weatherby. That's the rifle I specified, because it's the only one I had a load worked up for copper bullets. That was a mistake but can't change it now.

Last weekend I shot using a post but I used the big post (roof support) at the range and just pushed my sticks up against it. I could kneel upright with my back straight and it worked fine, hit the plate every time and absorbed the recoil just fine I was thinking no problem. Then I went back and looked at the video and saw that his post is a short one, too short to use it for a brace if you're kneeling upright. If you notice, he's bent over and leaning pretty far forward, looks like it works well with a suppressed rifle but it doesn't work so well with an unsuppressed magnum. I tried it that way yesterday, didn't cut myself with the scope but came damn close, no thanks.

And I'm just not good enough kneeling upright with sticks and nothing to lean against, I shot that way yesterday and did OK but missed enough that an 8-hour round trip is not worth it. I'll re-load my empties and try again this weekend, see if I can get comfortable enough to guarantee no misses but right now it's not looking good. I'm sure they'll have plenty of others willing to help with their cull.

Dang bud, I was excited about following this. I get it though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot it last week...and failed. Not making excuses. 100% me on this one. Went 3/3 on the kneeling then missed the first shot at 300 prone. Not sure why. I practiced both, and never missed prone at 300. Might have been over confident as I was more concerned about the kneeling. I've shot enough competitions, national televised even, that it wasn't stress. Just didn't take my time to get a good natural point of aim on the 300. Oh well.

Here's how it works. 30 shooters show up all at the same time. It's a cluster f*ck with no organization. The parks and wildlife guy (PWG) tells you all about how everyone fails and how easy the shoot should be. Then goes on to tell everyone that the "culling" is not hunting. They are having a problem with the elk refuging on a wildlife refuge near the sand dunes and they are trying to scare the elk back on public land so hunters can hunt them. Um, that's the entire state of CO during hunting season. Not sure why this location is so significant. Anyway, he says most shots are 200-300 yards and shooters only get a few seconds to get into position, hence the nature of the shoot. So I agree it's a good test for that situation. He said, bumpers, hoods, backpacks, tailgates can all be used during the actual hunt. All the hunt dates are Tuesday or Thursday's and they are filled through early January. So future hunts are late Jan. and Feb. Personally, that didn't appeal to me and I would not have applied had I known that. Might to you. That speech takes about an hour. You just stand there.

Then he goes into demonstrating the shooting position and how to shoot the COF. He missed 5/6 shots. Yup, Mr. PWG that gave us the run down on how easy it is, how it's so doable, and that it's a test of how well we know our rifle, missed 5 of 6. Said, and I quote "must have bumped my scope."

You have to show him your ammo, make sure it's lead free. You don't know the order of shooting. He calls off three people, baseball style. Batter, on deck, and in the hole. You do not know when you will shoot. So you keep standing there. It was 22 degrees and I stood there for 1:45 before I shot. You can't leave because you don't know when you will be called.

Of the 30 people that shot, I think 5 cleared it. Going from memory...except for one guy, the ones who competed it, had some serious gear. One guy was military and had a tripod that likely weighed 20lbs. and rifle was probably over 12lbs. Serious military sniper set up. Shoot the kneeling exactly as he shows you. Reverse kneeling with the post and use your bipod. The winners' rifles looked more like PRS style than hunting and very few people used anything more than a 308. I used 300wm and was a rare exception. Lots of short action, 6.5 and similar calibers based on what I could see of the brass from 20 feet.

If I could do it again. smile. Get there at least two hours early and take a few practice shots on the range - others did, and I didn't know that was allowed. The 200 and 300 yard target rows are pretty obvious. Double check your hold at that elevation. I sighted in at 10,000 (where I hunt) and this was around 7500ish. Dress really warm! I thought we could sit in our trucks while others shot. Nope. The targets are said to be 12" tall x 14" wide but honestly looked smaller. I'm sure he wasn't making up the measurements, but they looked smaller than a standard Shoot N C 12" target which were visible at the same distance.

Great run down! Sorry you didn't qualify. The kneeling would seem to me to be the most difficult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Try using a backpack under your right arm under the butt stock if you're a rightie....

I tired that, and also tried putting it on my left calf and sitting back on it. I'm not flexible enough to rock back and sit on my heel like some guys do. Helped, but still no cigar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I tired that, and also tried putting it on my left calf and sitting back on it. I'm not flexible enough to rock back and sit on my heel like some guys do. Helped, but still no cigar.

If you have the tripod you talked about, use it. You can use your sticks if you think you need a rear support like in my video.

You can do this

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Great run down! Sorry you didn't qualify. The kneeling would seem to me to be the most difficult.

If you’re missing a 12”x14” plate at 300 yard from prone with a bipod and rear bag, I have no words

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no words

You should have those more often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no words

Lol

I’ll just post memes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no words

Lol

I’ll just post memes

LOL. I respect a man who can laugh when he is zinged.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no words

Lol

I’ll just post memes

LOL. I respect a man who can laugh when he is zinged.

Well, I teed up a softball.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If you have the tripod you talked about, use it. You can use your sticks if you think you need a rear support like in my video.

You can do this

Thanks for the help RC. A tripod with sticks for a rear rest, I will try that. Most likely I could do it but looking at the total picture of what's involved with the "not-a-hunt" taking a day off work, 8 hour round trip just to qualify, I think I'll probably pass, just not that motivated to participate. Didn't cost anything to apply, costs even less to un-apply.

The thing I'm motivated to do now is get off my ass and get a suppressed rifle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

Good info and thanks.

Chuckled at the part about Mr. PWG!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You can do this

Thanks for the help RC. A tripod with sticks for a rear rest, I will try that. Most likely I could do it but looking at the total picture of what's involved with the "not-a-hunt" taking a day off work, 8 hour round trip just to qualify, I think I'll probably pass, just not that motivated to participate. Didn't cost anything to apply, costs even less to un-apply.

The thing I'm motivated to do now is get off my ass and get a suppressed rifle.

So using the sticks for a rear support means holding them in your left hand while they are against your body, outside of the butt stock. You then use your hand for the rear rest.

Don’t try to adjust the sticks to actually support the butt.

If you use the tripod, you probably won’t even need to do it because they’re so stable.

Go up to the line with your tripod legs already at the right length for kneeling, dope dialed tor 200 in the scope and on the beep, spread them and clamp your rifle in the saddle and get on target. Hammer it 3 times

If it’s stable and you’re confident, stay on the tripod and just move to the 300 yard plate and dial it into the scope, hammer it 3 times. If not, transition to prone.

You can do this. I’m gonna be disappointed if you bail on this opportunity. Look at it as a challenge, learning, and most of all when you succeed, a fun hunt with free meat.

Additionally, you knew where this hunt was to take place and the drive involved when you applied for it and it was fine then. The only thing that has changed is you doubt you can shoot well enough to meet the requirements of the G&F.

Don’t puss out because you may have to work and improve to get it done

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/22/22.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, you're obviously more gung-ho than I am. I will just say thanks for the tips on technique, and leave it at that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go up to the line with your tripod legs already at the right length for kneeling, dope dialed tor 200 in the scope and on the beep, spread them and clamp your rifle in the saddle and get on target. Hammer it 3 times

If it’s stable and you’re confident, stay on the tripod and just move to the 300 yard plate and dial it into the scope, hammer it 3 times. If not, transition to prone.

According to the video the shooters can preset the sticks or tripod off the clock.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You can use sticks or a tripod. The one dude had a tripod that could have held up an 80lb bag of concrete. He clamped his rifle into it and the gun didn't move. It was like a tripod ransom rest, literally. He literally could have sighted the rifle, locked it in place, and stepped away, and pulled the trigger from the side. IMO, it was beyond reasonable, but allowed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After seeing the video of the grossly obese Parks and Rec guy shooting, it seems the obvious answer is to grab a 12 pound 6mm Creedmoor with some kind of 85-100 grain solid copper bullet. Pretty sure I'd be fine with my 6/45 shooting 95 vld but darn it they have lead in them.

I stand by my original statement that standing around in the cold at a poorly run state sponsored range day is of really no interest to me. I have enjoyed reading the thread though and had some good laughs. Good luck to anyone willing to take the time to put up with this stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

According to the video the shooters can preset the sticks or tripod off the clock.

Lol

With that advantage, a guy would be able to shoot a 10 round mag at each plate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One thing for sure is that the amazingly simple requirements eliminate a bunch of people with fragile self-esteem and without basic marksmanship skills that shouldn’t be in the field with a rifle in the first place. I can’t imagine being such a snowflake to not even try to satisfy the conditions on a hunt people pay good money for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been in the field with several people that couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.
In my limited experience, as the hunter gets older the conditions need to be as close to perfect as can be.
That being said, I think Smoke is being more than honest with his limitations and with his honesty and age, he is not willing to cave to stress his limitations or safety zone.
I commend you for that sir.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, is that directed to me RC? Seems to be. My self-esteem is just fine, thank you, and by the way it’s not based on my proficiency with the reverse kneeling position.

Yours seems to be out of control though. Difference between us is, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else on here.

I've killed my share of big game out to 400 yards prone, standing with a tree for rest, sitting, and offhand. But never once reverse kneeling, never had the need to use the position. It bothers me not in the least to say I'm not very good with the position.

But it really seems to bother you. The question you should be asking yourself is, why is that?

Thanks gonzaga, I was posting while you were.

Last edited by smokepole; 11/22/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, is that directed to me RC? Seems to be. My self-esteem is just fine, thank you, and by the way it’s not based on my proficiency with the reverse kneeling position.

Yours seems to be out of control though. Difference between us is, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else on here.

I've killed my share of big game out to 400 yards prone, standing with a tree for rest, sitting, and offhand. But never once reverse kneeling, never had the need to use the position. It bothers me not in the least to say I'm not very good with the position.

But it really seems to bother you. The question you should be asking yourself is, why is that?

Not bothered at all. Disappointing that a prominent member of our hunting and shooting forum doesn’t have the skills or gumption to attain them, regardless of the fact he readily admits it.

BTW the “reverse kneeling” position is not a requirement and you don’t even have to do it to shoot from a tripod. Just kneel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not bothered at all. Disappointing that a prominent member of our hunting and shooting forum doesn’t have the skills or gumption to attain them, regardless of the fact he readily admits it.

BTW the “reverse kneeling” position is not a requirement and you don’t even have to do it to shoot from a tripod. Just kneel.

The kneeling part is at 200 yds on a 6MOA X 7MOA plate.

That's a fair representation of an elk vital area.

If one is stymied at hitting that elk vital sized target at 200yds from any version of kneeling then more practice and less throwing bullets at elk is in order.

WOW.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The kneeling part is at 200 yds on a 6MOA X 7MOA plate.

That's a fair representation of an elk vital area.

If one is stymied at hitting that elk vital sized target at 200yds from any version of kneeling then more practice and less throwing bullets at elk is in order.

WOW.

That’s putting it nicely.

I’m going Big Stick’s direction and not suffering idiots and fools.

Life’s too short

😁

(I know you and BS clash, but he’s based in this regard).

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can use sticks or a tripod. The one dude had a tripod that could have held up an 80lb bag of concrete. He clamped his rifle into it and the gun didn't move. It was like a tripod ransom rest, literally. He literally could have sighted the rifle, locked it in place, and stepped away, and pulled the trigger from the side. IMO, it was beyond reasonable, but allowed.

Nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So feather weight magnums are not good for hitting 6MOA targets from field positions under pressure?

Who saw that coming?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Like I said, I've never had to use any version of kneeling to kill big game. So the only reason I'd need to attain that skill would be to take a day off work and drive 8 hours to participate in what's been described right here as a goat-rope qualification. To participate in a goat rope "not-a-hunt."

If it was important to me I'd do it. It's not.

And don't forget that I'm a "prominent member" here, so I get to do what I want. Not what you want. As if it was any of your business in the first place.

And wtf is up with you giving 10mm a ration of shìt, anyway? You never saw anyone miss a shot? I've seen people who know their way around a rifle miss shots well within their abilities, it happens.

Never seen anybody worth a shìt denigrate them for it though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn I was hoping we could carpool.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Where were they hanging out when you did the shoot?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So feather weight magnums are not good for hitting 6MOA targets from field positions under pressure?

Who saw that coming?

LOL, I saw it coming JB, like I said, it was the only rifle I had with a good load worked up for a copper bullet. So I was stuck with it.

But thanks for acknowledging it's not a very good tool for this kind of shooting, and not remotely like the rifles that all you guys who never missed a shot would use.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
Damn I was hoping we could carpool.

Can you ever forgive me?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only if you teach the reverse kneel lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Who saw that coming?

LOL, I saw it coming JB, like I said, it was the only rifle I had with a good load worked up for a copper bullet. So I was stuck with it.

But thanks for acknowledging it's not a very good tool for this kind of shooting, and not remotely like the rifles that all you guys who never missed a shot would use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So after all was said and done PoleSmoker was to scared to even try.

Who saw that coming? crazy

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One would assume he did try at home.

I would have.

When I get home I will.

I smoked a cow kneeling ( not reverse) at 300 with a model 88 win. In 284.

On deer opening I shot over a dink ( same 88) at 100 using a tote as a rest.

So I doubt I would pass the test.

I think my 88 is zeroed too high.

I also think I lose focus on dinks.

Center punched one three days ago.

But it was a whopping 11 paces.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/10/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOL, the butthurt runs deep with RC cola and Moonpie. You know why they call 'em that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL, the butthurt runs deep with RC cola and Moonpie. You know why they call 'em that?

It's sad that Rick and I tried to help you out.

What a waste.

Scared to shoot at 300yds in front of a crowd but always ready to run your suck on the internet. crazy

Often wrong but never in doubt.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Scared to shoot at 300yds in front of a crowd but always ready to run your suck on the internet. crazy

This is hilariious coming from you, running your suck on the internet is your special talent. And "scared" had nothig to do with it Moonpie. I readily admit I could have easily missed a shot from kneeling, it's a position I have never used and haven't practiced.

But that didn't "scare" me, because I really don't give a fug. Not near as much as you and RC cola, as if it was your business. Like a couple of old women you two.

I'd only be scared to miss a shot if my entire f*cking identity revolved around shooting rifles and bragging about my prowess to anyone who would listen and many who don't want to. Like you.

Because you never see one without the other, and they're always accompanied by a big old baloney sandwich.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is hilariious coming from you, running your suck on the internet is your special talent. And "scared" had nothig to do with it Moonpie. I readily admit I could have easily missed a shot from kneeling, it's a position I have never used and haven't practiced.

But that didn't "scare" me, because I really don't give a fug. Not near as much as you and RC cola, as if it was your business. Like a couple of old women you two.

I'd only be scared to miss a shot if my entire f*cking identity revolved around shooting rifles and bragging about my prowess to anyone who would listen and many who don't want to. Like you.

Because you never see one without the other, and they're always accompanied by a big old baloney sandwich.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.