Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well said Bill. Same here. I’m about at half life.

I figure the only thing that’ll keep me from elk hunting will be my loss of sight grin

Semper Fi
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by ribka
yep

be curious what the economy does to NR tag demand in 23

Me too.

I don't think it will do a thing. The only thing that will slow it down is if the crowding and low game numbers burn people out.

We're getting there......

Or do what I do--pray daily for a series of harsh winters like I experienced through the 70's. There are two generations of people living in Colorado who have never experienced a harsh winter here. Some may think they have, but they haven't..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by ro1459
I just got a look at the 2023 Colorado brochure and saw that the price of a Cow elk tag has jumped from a little over $500 last year to $760.99 this year. The brochure says that for the $760.99 for can draw for a Cow tag and either sex tag and purchase a bull tag (in OTC areas) all for the same price.

Has anyone else seen this and is this a misprint?

Thanks for your input.

I'm all for it. Charge them $1000. Every year it seems the crowd in camp is more and more from out of state. I'd say it's about 50/50 the last few years. I pay $1000 for a truck license plate in CO - a year. Our taxes in CO, especially for small business, are extremely high. If want a cheap elk tag, by all means, move here, and buy a 3 bed/3 bath house for $1.2 million in the burbs that needs a remodel, pay the $1000 license plate fee on your truck, then pay all the other taxes. At that point, you've earned the "cheap" resident elk tag. Until then, look at your cost of living in midwest and be grateful all your other life expenses are reasonable.
That's california, without the Elk hunting...

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yes I have. NR licenses are out of sight there, too. When I can’t afford it, I’ll cut back.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All things considered NR hunting is still pretty cheap compared to most vacations.
Personally as a resident of MT I am chit full of NR bitching. It would be nice if the doubled prices and cut NR allocations in half.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/07/23.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
All things considered NR hunting is still pretty cheap compared to most vacations.
Personally as a resident of MT I am chit full of NR bitching. It would be nice if the doubled prices and cut NR allocations in half.
Curious if you held that opinion as a MI resident?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read that a week's trip to Disney World for a family of 4, using in Disney's hotels and restaurants, can easily top $10k.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pointer
Why does a MI resident think they deserve cheap elk licenses in MT? Save and go hunt.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm all for it. Charge them $1000. Every year it seems the crowd in camp is more and more from out of state. I'd say it's about 50/50 the last few years. I pay $1000 for a truck license plate in CO - a year. Our taxes in CO, especially for small business, are extremely high. If want a cheap elk tag, by all means, move here, and buy a 3 bed/3 bath house for $1.2 million in the burbs that needs a remodel, pay the $1000 license plate fee on your truck, then pay all the other taxes. At that point, you've earned the "cheap" resident elk tag. Until then, look at your cost of living in midwest and be grateful all your other life expenses are reasonable.

This is the most cogent argument I've seen on this thread with respect to CO. CO has become a very expensive place to live, plus it is filled with way too many liberals these days.

I've been hunting CO since the 1990s. I've seen the prices climb through the years and ate the increased cost. I'll continue to eat the cost because A. Elk hunting means more to me than $760, B. I can.

I''ll be 60 in May and know I have more years behind me than in front of me. A DIY elk hunt costs ~ $1500. $200 a month is worth it to me. When I had less money, I simply did things that saved money - brought my lunch to work, didn't buy Starbucks coffee, drove used vehicles, and other similar things. Finding $200 a month isn't difficult for most of us.

At the end of the day, quit focusing on the money and focus more on the experience. Some day you won't be able to hunt elk.

i like your thinking next year i will go back to buying a non-resident tag if i get drawn. i still might try for a cow tag there is nothing like elk hunting and being in the mountains. thank you for posting i turn 70 this year i don`t have many hunts left,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 03/08/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by pete53
i like your thinking next year i will go back to buying a non-resident tag if i get drawn. i still might try for a cow tag there is nothing like elk hunting and being in the mountains. thank you for posting i turn 70 this year i don`t have many hunts left,Pete53

Cow tags are now the same price as bull tags,starting this year. Pete,I turn 80,this year. I missed last year, but am planning to hunt this coming season.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, I did. NR hunting is a cheap vacation all things considered and if anything Montana NR tag prices have not kept up with inflation.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/08/23.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wytex
Why does a MI resident think they deserve cheap elk licenses in MT? Save and go hunt.
This is exactly it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A number of eastern states now have elk hunting. Check out their tag and license fees. They aren't much different than the western states and draw hunts are even harder to draw.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A number of eastern states now have elk hunting. Check out their tag and license fees. They aren't much different than the western states and draw hunts are even harder to draw.

If they even offer NR licenses.
All the elk came from Western states yet I think 1 state allows NRs to apply and they give out only 10% of the tags to NRs, hummm.
The state with public land to hunt only allows Residents to apply for the public land hunts.

Those animals came from public lands so guess what, I payed taxes on that land like you all and helped raise those elk so I should get a licenses too, for cheap.
Not how I really think on licenses allocations but guess what if your states did what most western states do for NR elk hunters you all would be crying.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Virginia had their first elk hunt his past season. 6 tags. I think three were non residents.Those elk came from 70 that came from Pennsylvania ten years ago, not western states. Other states have received eastern elk too. Some form Alberta.

Those eastern elk hunts are extremely hard to draw and there are not that many.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pricing out young guys with families who live in states without elk isn’t something to be proud of in my opinion. Hunting shouldn’t only be a rich man’s game particularly public land DIY style. I’d like my 18 year old grandson to keep hunting after I retire & can’t afford to subsidize him. I’d like the electrician who married the oldest granddaughter to be able to take their 3 boys.

Like the rest of the old farts here it won’t keep me off the mountain unlike crowding & wolves will eventually.

Having to own a truck & potentially an atv/UTV for thousands of dollars, $2,000 binoculars,$1600 in scope & rangefinder & carrying around $1,500 in packs, boots & fancy clothes, gloves all the other BS elk hunters buy cost of elk hunting is expensive & tag costs aren’t the biggest share.

But it gets more expensive every year. Hunters with the most money buy private land guided hunts like Europeans & hunters in Africa. We have always been different in America where a few bucks & more drive, stubbornness & grit could get you a rich man’s trophy on a working man’s salary. I hate to see that end.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cow tags are still pretty cheap......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Cow tags are still pretty cheap......
In Idaho all NR elk tags are the same price. The problem is availability. The demand far outstrips the supply.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Does anyone bitch about the cost of downhill skiing or golfing or reloading or scuba diving or long range shooting or just about any other hobby? You pick just about any interest or hobby these days and it's going to be expensive if you want to be good at it. A one-day adult lift ticked at Vail is $262. ONE DAY.

Except some rare archery hunts, and they get rarer everyday, hunting in CO has become a lot less hunting and a lot more opening day ambush. Forget calling, stalking, and other true hunting skills, it's now ambush an escape route with a 700-yard-capable rifle and wait. By the third day of the season you can go home as the elk have moved onto private or other inaccessible land. Even the wardens will tell you that now. I actually crave the few days pre-season more than the hunt days now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes actually people do bitch about those things. Church and high school class ski trips around here went extinct a decade ago because it got too expensive for small town kids to raise the funds to go. I know probably two families that still go on ski vacations as opposed to 12 or 15 from a few years back, they all say it’s gotten too expensive.

I know plenty of guys who have given up golfing due to prices. I’m one of them. I never was any good or really into it, but I’d pay the $22 or whatever our local course fee was for 9 holes and a cart to hang out with my buddies and have a friendly competition and a couple beers. Now it’s $75-100 for an afternoon at the course, not worth it for me.

Hunting is much more important to me than any of the other things you listed so I try harder to make it happen. I get both sides of the argument both hunting out of state every year and living in a state that needs to raise their nonres license fees. But nothing I can do about it on either side but make the best of it.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12savage, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,176
Posts18,523,703
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.